Places

No results found ...

You could try to change your filters to find more results.

Die Firma ABF Architekturbüro Fabini wurde im Mai 1990 gegründet. Ursprünglich war sie ein Kleinunternehmen - eine Form von Privatunternehmen, die damals nach der Wende von 1989 möglich wurde - und ab 1991 eine GmbH ( rumänisch SRL). Inhaber der Firma sind Alida und Hermann Fabini. Sie hat ihren Sitz in Räumen im ersten Stock des Kirchenhauses Wiesengasse (Tipografilor) Nr. 12. Schwerpunkt der Tätigkeit sind vor allem denkmalpflegerische Restaurierungsprojekte; unsere Firma hat aber in den letzten Jahren zunehmend auch Neu- und Industriebauten geplant. *text & foto
Strada Tipografilor 12, Sibiu 557260, Romania
Proiectul Ambulanţa pentru monumente inițiat de către un grup de iubitori ai patrimoniului și derulat de către Asociația Monumentum îşi propune să acţioneze eficient în domeniul salvgardării patrimoniului imobil prin punerea în siguranţă a unor obiective de patrimoniu importante aflate în stare avansată de degradare din sudul Transilvaniei, până când acestea vor putea fi restaurate. Pentru obţinerea unor efecte pe termen mediu si lung , proiectul işi doreşte o mai bună implicare a societăţii civile şi creşterea societăţii filantropice din România pentru prezervarea patrimoniului imobil.Astfel, regula după care funcționează proiectul este simplă: acolo unde există cel puţin un sprijin pentru achiziţionarea materialelor necesare punerii în siguranţă, „ambulanţa” și voluntarii se vor ocupa de punerea în siguranță a acelui obectiv. Proiectul pilot a fost co-finanțat prin Administrația Fondului Cultural Național și este sprijinit de către Alteța Sa Regala Prințul de Wales si Anglo Romanian Trust for Traditional Architecture *Sursa: https://www.facebook.com/ambulantapentrumonumente
The Association “casApold – Local Initiative for Cross-culture Activities” is a local-regional non-profit and non-governmental organization in Apold, registered in Romania. The main aim of the association is to protect the building and natural environment in Transylvania and to promote ideas and projects contributing to a sustainable development in the area. Since 2007 casApold works in the fields of environmental and traditional crafts education, social and educational services through a multitude of projects focusing on children and people from the rural area. Furthermore, casApold has organized work camps and seminars with international participation to encourage the exchange of expierences in the field of cultural and natural heritage. *text & foto
Charge yourself with the energy of rivers and wild forests, admire enchanting landscapes and the spectacle of nature. Activate on one of the marked hiking trails in the Carpathian mountains or in the Transylvanian Highlands. Secure your place at EuroRando2021, the booking platform is open for your unforgettable experiences in Sibiu region! 
Bassen Guesthouse is located in the old village of Bazna, a resort known for its balenoclimateric nature. The bed & breakfast, a small and chic guesthouse, is a small heaven where nature and Transylvanian tradition make a perfect mix.    *text & foto
Localitatea Bazna, 237, Bazna 557030, Romania
The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs' (ECA) mission is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange that assist in the development of peaceful relations.
Carpathian Travel Center is a Destination Management Company from Transylvania – Romania, specialized in the inbound tourism for Romania. Through better concepts and because of our long experience in incoming tourism in Romania, we have rich and diverse programs for the year 2013. The programs include: the visit of cultural objectives, the participation at events and festivals, visiting the villages and meeting simple peasant families that still manage to keep their originality and traditions. The programs and the offers of the CARPATHIAN TRAVEL CENTER brand aim individual tourism. They are structured in an uncomplicated ,easy going manner which ensure you a memorable, stress free vacation in Romania. Our guides are well trained and they are speakers of the following languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian, Polish and Russian. They accompany groups from the first to the last day, taking care of your stay, so that it becomes an unforgettable one. We offer you: • a competent, young and dynamic team which will answer your requests promptly, • transportation with or own buses, • the best deals on hotels in Romania, • flexibility in booking conditions, contingent on a longer period, • daily city tours, 1 day tours, tours, active holidays, APS, City-Breaks etc. • entertainment, folklore evenings, medieval nights, • rent a car in all Romanian cities, • transfers from Romanian airports to the desired hotels, • transfers all over the country, • travel assistance 24 hours. *text & foto
Piața Mare 12, Sibiu 550163, Romania
Casa Paleologu has always been a privileged place of intellectual discussions and friendships. The house on 34, Armeneasca str. was built in 1932 by Mihail Paleologu and Emilia, his third wife, after they were forced to sell the old tall house on Paleologu street, erected during the first half of the 20th century by the serdar Nicolae Paleologu, the son of the “medelnicer” Mihail Paleologu. The house on Armeneasca street is a comfortable bourgeois building in the cubist style of the 30s, but the furniture and the atmosphere bear the mark of aristocratic manors. *text & foto
Purpose of the non-profit-association “Churchfortress e.V. Friends of Hundertbücheln - Movile” is on the one hand to maintain the architectural heritage of the fortified churches in Transilvania, their whole ensembles and the characteristic scenery of the medieval villages. On the other hand and in straight professional reference, the association focusses on the sustainable development of a regional based small-scaled economy using the existing traditional craft and agricultural methods. Most (although not all) international members of the association have their professional background in the subject of landscape architecture and try to implement their ecological and esthetical perception into the individual historic scenery of the village Hundertbücheln/Movile in particular and of other transilvanian villages in general. As landscape architects and planners we see the special value of a coherent and integrative landscape and are able to use the combination of architecture and greenery to improve the daily life of people. *text & foto
Iacobeni, Romania
ou may know it as the area of ​​villages with fortified churches in Transylvania, the cradle of Saxon culture in Romania. Others may know that here you can find UNESCO Heritage monuments (Biertan, Saschiz, Valea Viilor or Viscri) or that it is one of Prince Charles of Wales' favorite Romanian places. It is certainly the largest protected area in Transylvania, where thousands of bird species nest, a region with High Nature Value Farms, with extremely varied biodiversity, where traditional agricultural practices are preserved. *text & foto
Colinele Transilvaniei
Unglerus Restaurant and Pension 4 *  (Biertan commune, Sibiu county (Transylvania)), is located at a distance of 25 km from Sighisoara, 75 km from Sibiu and 335 km from Bucharest. *text & foto
Piața 1 Decembrie 1918 nr. 1, Biertan 557045, Romania
Copsamare Guesthouses offers a perfect haven for relaxation and discovery in the heart of Transylvania. All houses have been restored according to the traditional architecture, decorated with local furniture and provided with the comfort of modern lifestyle. A very special atmosphere welcomes you in a cozy and comfortable environment. *text & foto
146, Copșa Mare 557046, Romania
Cund / Reußdorf On the western side of the 15th century hall church a bell tower was erected in 1804. The pilasters of the tower show late Baroque features. From the original fortification wall almost nothing survived to this day, but the fence surrounding the yard of the church marks the initial perimeter. The chancel still preserves its original late Gothic ribbed vault, while the paneled ceiling of the hall was replaced early 20th century by a flat plastered ceiling. The most valuable piece of the interior furniture is the pre-reformation winged altar depicting the Passion of Christ. Today this altar is displayed in Sighişoara inside the Hill Church. In the chancel one can admire the late Gothic pews from 1532. Place and surroundings The village of Cund first mentioned in 1323 is located in a secluded location between the rivers Târnava Mare and Târnava Mică. Around 50 years later a big part of the settlement was passed on from one noble family to another one. Only 8 homesteads remained free, outside the noble possessions. Around 1790 are mentioned the so-called “libertines”, peasants living in 16 homesteads in Cund free of feudal influence. Over the centuries different noble families repeatedly disputed the right to rule over Cund. Most of the last 700 Saxon inhabitants left the place in the ‘90s. Mainly Romanian and Hungarians took over the Saxons farms, but a small number of German immigrants moved to the village as well. Several homesteads have been restored in recent years and converted into holiday houses. Tourism The “Valea Verde Resort” offers high-class accommodation and a delicious cuisine created from regional and seasonal products. The resort is suited for business travelers as well as families and offers rooms, spaces and equipment for large festivities or events. Keys are with: Mr. Jonas Schaefer phone: +40/265/714 399 Accomodation: About 40 guest beds are available in different summer cottages in the village, appointment through Valea Verde: phone: +40/265/714 399, fax: +40/265/714 395, e-mail: info@cund.de, Internet: www.cund.de, address: Cund, nr. 119
House Nr. 119, Cund 547647, Romania
Scopul brandului “Din Hârtibaciu, cu drag” este ca produsele din regiunea mai mare a sudului Transilvaniei să fie diferențiate cu ușurință. *text și foto
The Viadrina builds bridges – not only across the River Oder by forming numerous intensive partnerships with universities and institutes in Poland but also by reaching out beyond our region to Central and Eastern Europe as well as to France. It also has more than 250 partner universities worldwide. At the same time, the Viadrina has strong roots in Frankfurt (Oder) and regards itself as a partner for the region, promoting the spirit of enterprise and civil society.
Strada General Magheru 4, Sibiu, Romania
When the other phone does not have coverage, you can also reach us at 0770 677 959. A visit to Central Transylvania is a visit to the past. And your trip will help preserve the small villages of Transylvania: by staying in a traditional rustic cottage, buying local produce, and purchasing local culinary delicacies and crafts, you help to maintain an ancient style of life that is in danger of disappearing. So take a journey to the past; help preserve the past — and don’t delay, book your trip today! *text & foto
Alma Vii 103, Alma Vii 557161, Romania
In the early 14th Century an early Gothic basilica was built in the middle of the village. The aisles were removed and the arcades were bricked up in 1500, when the church was fortified. Above the chancel a defence tower was erected. The chancel’s polygonal closure was heightened with two defence levels and the buttresses were connected by arches, in order to build a machicoulis gallery behind them. The ensemble was strengthened by a surrounding wall in 1502, completed by a gate building and an adjoining bacon Chamber on the north-west side . The tower was heightened in 1827 and received its striking pyramidal roof. At the same time its defence systems together with the defence level of the chancel were removed . The typical western gable of the church was erected in the same time with the renewal of the roof in 1854. Inside the church the mainly 18th-century furniture is still preserved. Place and surroundings For centuries, music has added nobility to the wonderful fragrance of the gardens in Agârbiciu. The choristers, the organists, the school teachers, the priests and the pupils used to be responsible for the musical life of the Transylvanian Saxon villages. Beginning with the 16th Century, the brass bands appeared in the Southern and Central regions of Transylvania and their instrumentalists brought their contribution to the social harmony of rural life by the musical harmony they produced. Can there be anything more charming than Christmas carols sounding in perfect unison with the snow-covered landscape and the smell of homemade cakes? The brass band used to play in the tower of Agârbiciu not only on Christmas and New Year’s Eve, but also at weddings, balls and on various other occasions. Historical dissonances, wars and Communism have caused the unfortunate end of this tradition. But even without music, the village and its fortified church and old houses harmoniously vibrate with the lively natural environment that surrounds them like the frame of a pastoral picture. Keys are with: Mrs. Ingeborg Petru +40758268730 and +40269855143 
Agârbiciu 557026, Romania
Agnita / Agnetheln The 13th century basilica, initially built without towers, was rebuilt and fortified two centuries later when the chancel was completed with a defence level on arches with loopholes. This level was to be removed in the 19th century. By heightening the aisles, the building became a hall church. The western potter’s tower is equipped with a parapet walk built in the timber frame technique. The ring wall was demolished, but the defence towers are preserved: the potter’s tower, the gate tower also called the cooper’s tower, the tailor’s tower, the smith’s tower and the cobbler’s tower. The techniques and details are impressive not only on the construction itself, but inside as well. The chancel boasts a well-preserved double winged altar from 1650, an artwork that echoes the pre-reformation Gothic winged altars. Place and surroundings It is said that Saint Agnes has founded the town, many remarkable sites witnessing her protective power throughout centuries. The town preserved to this day one of the oldest and most important customs of the Transylvanian Saxons, the Parade of the Lolas. In order to chase the wintertime and the evil spirits away, the celebration is held annually in January or February. Scary dressed Lolas march through town in manacles noise with whips and tires and do all sorts of hoaxes. Besides the ragged black outfit, the main adornment of each Lola is the “larva”, a dreadful mask applied on wire mesh. Moreover Agnita was in the last century the main train station on the route of the so-called “Mocăniţa”, which linked the town of Sibiu with Sighişoara. The last part was closed in 2001 and many efforts are done since to establish seasonal tourist traffic with the historic carriages. Tourism In the last century Agnita was known as an important railway station along the tracks of the so-called „Mocănița” which connected the cities of Sibiu and Sighişoara. Sadly, the last part of the tracks was shut down in 2001. In the meantime a group of active volunteers have come together as an NGO to restore the train-tracks and to revitalise them with historic railway engines during the tourist season. Many fun and interesting events take place around the Mocănița on a regular basis, especially during the summer months. They are not only targeted at enthusiasts of trains and steam engines but offer a unique and great experience for children and families. For more information and details: www.sibiuagnitarailway.com www.phototour.mocanita.ro www.mocanita.ro/mh/
Alma Vii / Almen In the sixteenth century fortifications were built around the Saxon church in Alma Vii so that it would never be conquered. The Saxons who lived here surrounded it with towers, firing posts and holes for throwing pitch on top of invaders.  A wall boasting four defensive towers oriented towards the four cardinal points surround the church. The first floor of the bell tower was habitable, equipped with a smoke funnel. The second floor has small bays on every corner, each having three embrasures, a construction detail that can be found in Thuringia, Germany. Very interesting to visit is the gate tower, a massive structure on 5 levels, three of them equipped with defensive systems and a parapet walk on the highest level. Place and surroundings The origin and the meaning of the village name cannot be completely identified. However, it is assumed to originate in the old German word “almo”, which means elm or to derive from the Hungarian word for apple. In favour of the last one militates the usage of the meadows around and in Alma Vii for growing fruit trees. Uphill in the middle of the village stands the mighty, never conquered fortified church. It is said that Alma, the wife of the fortress’s guardian, is the one who first saw the threat of the Tartar army approaching and, to buy time for the villagers to escape, she put some rags on and soiled her face with jam and soot, thus terrifying the pagan attackers.The village has funny stories as well: one day a young woman who also worked in Mediaş finds all her master’s geese lying breathless in the yard. She figures out that the only thing left to do is to pluck their feathers for later use, so she does it and then throws the naked bodies on the riverside. Unbelievably, the next day the featherless and indignant geese march haughtily, causing great rumour among the villagers. It was only later that the housemasters understood that the geese had eaten the sour cherries from the liqueur and became so drunk that they were believed to be dead. In order to avoid the goose bumps, each goose was dressed with a specially made gown, which certainly offered a pretty spectacular image. Village Projects The mighty fortified churches is enthroned above the small village characterized by its long tradition in agriculture, livestock breeding and craftsmanship. Since 2009 the Mihai Eminescu Trust (MET) has been active in Alma Vii and has successfully accomplished a number of projects regarding the restoration of the fortification and general rural development. Together with international partners the MET is now running the “Centre for interpretation of traditional culture Alma Vii”. Further information about the project and MET can be obtained here: www.almavii.ro www.mihaieminescutrust.ro The keys are with: Mrs Simona Iacob phone: +40/269/862 552 and directly in the fortification phone: +40/269/862 501 Hotel: Guest House no. 103 1 small apartment (double room, bathroom), 1 large apartment (2 double rooms, 2 bathrooms), kitchen, courtyard with terrace In the Old School 2 four-bed rooms (youth hostel style) Information and booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust phone: (0040-724) 000350 e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Alțâna / Alzen The 13th century Romanesque basilica went through numerous transformations throughout its history: the original apse was replaced by the current Gothic polygonal chancel, the southern aisle received a Baroque vault, the central nave was covered with a late Gothic lierne vault in the 15th century. In the 19th century the bell tower with parapet walk was replaced by the current new Gothic one, built in the same time as the sacristy. The oval curtain wall was reinforced with an outer bailey and four defence towers located in the four cardinal points. The northern tower collapsed at the beginning of the 20th century and parts of the ring wall and storage rooms were demolished. Place and surroundings Alţâna has a famous history, whose tracks has materialized through time and is easy to notice in the fortified church. Dwelling on a mountain peak, close to heaven and its promised salvation, the church connects the earth and the sky.There is a stream near the village and its water whispers the story of a mysterious mill that used to be there in immemorial times. They say that strange sounds used to come from its attic and even from the depth of the dark stream water on New Year’s Eve. The last miller, unaware of these terrifying secrets, rented the mill, only to run away and leave the evil place in the very night between the years, scared to death by the terrible sounds he heard. By the next morning the mill had vanished completely, leaving behind only its name: even today the water stream is called “The Hollow of the Old Mill”. The field where it used to lie is still called “at the old mill”. Tourism Alţâna is home to a very unique interethnic museum: an extensive and well worth seeing collection of Romanian, Saxon and Hungarian cultural objects is displayed and invites visitors to an informative tour. If driving through the Valea Hârtibaciului everyone should stop by and include a visit to the museum to their travel itinerary. Keys are with: Mrs. Rosi Müller phone: +40/744/105620 Caution: Unfortunately a visit to this fortified church is currently not possible for safety reasons.
Gării Nr. 54, Alţâna 557005, Rumänien
The 13th Century basilica erected in a strategic position on top of a hill surrounded by the river Şaeş, evolved later into the famous fortified church of Apold. The ensemble survived turbulent times and stays even today almost entirely preserved, with fortification walls, defense towers and storage rooms. The three-aisles hall church originates from the 15th century, when the aisles of the former Romanesque basilica were heightened. The chancel and the nave were vaulted, and the walls of the side naves were replaced with octagonal pillars. A tower was built for the first time on the western side of the church and together with the nave and the chancel it was strengthened by adding defence levels between 1504 and 1507. From the fortification's size of the 15th and 16 century, the outer ring walls and three defensive towers have been preserved. The inner wall was demolished in the 19th century, but its path is easy to track on the exposed foundations. On the north side a storage building equipped with loopholes survived the centuries. The church boasts several treasures in its interior: the neoclassical organ altar from 1821, a Gothic tabernacle, the pulpit and wooden galleries built in 1760. Place and surroundings Since 2004, the Corona Association, in collaboration with a local partner, CasApold Association has been looking after the fortification and has carried out careful restoration works. Part of the preservation concept is to train the local people in traditional craft techniques and to involve them in the restoration process. One can get an impression of the changing duties of a castle guardian through times. A few hundred years ago he had to look out for enemies, ring the bells and heat the community room. Today his duties resemble more closely those of a project manager: he is an administrator, caretaker and a fundraiser; he sometimes prepares church services, looks after tourists and organizes concerts and other events. Key Keeper Association CasApold - AvantGuards member Mr. Sebastian Bethge Phone number:  +40722208495 
DJ106 166, Apold, Romania
The fortified church in Apoldu de Sus was erected after the demolition of the old Romanesque basilica preceding it. A church hall was built in 1836 and completed with a tower in 1867. The interior is a nice example of a neoclassical church, where the altar from 1751 and the organ from 1816 are still preserved, both of them originating from the old basilica. Only ruins of the old fortifications still remain. Nevertheless, one can notice the well-preserved structure of the traditional village, with narrow walk paths and typical farms on both sides of the main road. Place and surroundings Apoldu de Sus is one of the three so-called „ Landler villages“, where the deported Austrian Protestants settled in the 18th Century. As they arrived, they found a desolate, depopulated place, thus forming the majority of the population. Therefore the Landlers could preserve their language and traditional costumes. Starting with the 13th Century Apoldu de Sus grew into one of the most important Saxon settlements in the area. Even so, mid-17th Century the village was completely burned down and in the years to follow the population was decimated by famine, plague and war. In 1689 the local priest wrote a chronicle about the desperate situation of the inhabitants. The Landlers’ arrival century meant a considerable improvement of the economic circumstances of the place. Keys are with: Meitert family, in the parish house directly beside the fortified church Phone: +40269534 109 or +40787515 523 
Apoldu de Sus 557151, Romania
Apoș / Abtsdorf bei Agnetheln The hall church with polygonal choir was protected by a curtain wall in the Middle Ages. Still in the 16th century, further fortification works were carried out. Sustainable reconstructions took place in the 18th century: for example, the church received a tiled roof and new windows for the first time. Finally, in 1799, the separately standing bell tower was built under the direction of the master builder Michael Salzer from Biertan. The last remains of the medieval curtain wall were removed in 1913 in order to start the construction of the school building. The neo-Gothic altar, the baptismal font and the organ are 19th century works. Today, the “Villa Abbatis” equestrian center, located in the former parsonage, takes care of the preservation of the church. Keys are with: Villa Abbatis Mr. Mihai Barbu phone: +40/724/736 025
Apoș 557036, Romania
Archita / Arkeden Only the exterior walls of the central nave have been preserved from the former Romanesque basilica. The church was later rebuilt in the Gothic style and enlarged with a tower, followed by the defence systems in the 16th century: demolition of side aisles, addition of a defence level, addition of a battle platform on the tower. Two fortification walls with defence towers at the corners surrounded the ensemble by the end of the 15th century. After a fire in 1748 that also destroyed the village, the church was built in its current shape. The interior Baroque design originates from that period: the side and organ gallery, the organ itself, masterpiece of the famous organ builder Samuel Maetz, the altar and the pulpit created by master Philippi from Sighişoara. Place and surroundings How did Transylvanian villages defend themselves from Ottoman attacks in the Middle Ages? In the fortified church of Archita one can picture this very well: two fortification walls, which are strengthened by seven defense towers, protect the church. Parts of a wooden parapet walk are still preserved. From the massive bell tower one have a wide clear view of the surroundings. Between the high fortification walls and the church is the narrow confined space where villagers would have taken refuge from imminent danger. At the inner wall the machicolations, openings through which the inhabitants would pour boiling tar onto their attackers still exists. In case of a siege the tar could be heated in a special room in the bell tower. The hilly surroundings of Archita invite you to explore and you might also like to search for the ruins of the old village Wordt. The local legend says that the whole village succumbed to the plague. About one hundred years ago the knowledge of the exact location of the village sank into oblivion, too. Activities EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches” Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelical Church A. C. in Romania Costs: 200,000 EUR Time frame: 2010-2014 Keys are with: Mrs. Garofița Tutu phone: +40/762/976 400
Archita 547636, Romania
The importance of the village of Aţel in the Middle Age results from its Gothic basilica which was built in several phases, boasting a transept, a sacristy, and a western tower. The impressive stone carvings on the pillars of the middle nave originate from the first building phase in 1380, while the rich decorated western portal might have been added in the second building phase at the beginning of the 15th century, when the fortification wall was built. In 1499 the third building phase was completed with the construction of the vaults above the naves, the heightening of the chancel and the building of the upper floors on the tower. Inside the church, beside the magnificent capitals of the pillars one can admire, the late Gothic sedilia and the finely crafted portal of the sacristy are very remarkable. The chancel boasts a pew with carvings and inlay work dating back to 1516. Place and surroundings Johannes Klatt, better known as Hansi, has been for many decades the castle guardian of Aţel. He rings the bells three times every day. His job is particularly hard if one of the villagers dies. The bells have to be rung for a full hour, which is strenuous work, while the bell ropes in the tower will pull Hansi up and down. If a storm is approaching he will rush to the tower and ring the bells until the threatening clouds have passed. In his way Hansi is protecting the village from many dangers.Once in a while he will climb the steep wooden stairs to the top of the tower, passing Gothic windows, which were bricked up many years ago when Aţel was still threatened by the so-called “runners” and “burners”. From the height of the defense platform he will let his eyes wander over the red and brown roofs of the village, then follow the bends of the road, which disappears between the vineyards to the north. No enemies are to be seen nowadays, only tourists from time to time. Photo was taken by Adrian Arsu, https://www.facebook.com/AdrianArsuFilms/ The keys are with: Mrs Susani Schöffend Tel.: +40/754/867 913 
Biserica Fortificata Atel
Avrig / Freck In the 13th century, a Romanesque three-aisled pillar basilica dedicated to St. Catherine was built in Avrig. On the ground floor of the bell tower, which serves as a porch, there is a cross vault. On the remarkable west portal, remains of stone sculptures have been preserved, which remind us, for example, of Hosman. Around 1500, in the course of the reconstruction to a hall church, the side aisles were removed, the choir end was straightened and the bell tower was raised by one floor. In 1765, the choir and nave were given baroque vaults. Parts of an oval ring-wall and the remains of a gate tower are still preserved from the original fortification. The tower clock was a gift from the Gubernator Samuel von Brukenthal (1770). The pulpit including the baldachin dates from the 18th century, the late baroque altar from 1805. Keys are with: Mr. Nicolae Alexan phone: +40/743/765 412
Avrig 555200, Romania
Axente Sever / Frauendorf The Evangelic church in Axente Sever is an important witness of the hard times the region had to bare. Therefore not only the ring wall was strengthened for defensive purposes, but the church building itself was also fortified. The massive tower between hall and chancel, dating back to the 14th century has a parapet walk on the highest level and on the first and second floors simple, elongated loopholes that end as a niche towards the interior. Both the chancel and the nave were heightened with defence levels with loopholes. The arches built between the reinforced buttresses on the western facade support the defence level. A portcullis, whose guiding slides are still visible today, protected the western portal. Along the outer wall there are partially preserved and reconstructed storage rooms which are used as guest rooms today. Place and surroundings The fortified church of Axente Sever was not only the religious center of the settlement over the centuries, but also a secure place to deposit valuable goods. In the numerous storage buildings in the precincts of the castle wall, rooms were assigned to each family from the village for storing grain, meat and other food. Corn was not stored on farms, but brought directly to the fortification after harvest to protect it from possible attackers. A special procedure was the storage of the bacon in the so-called bacon towers, which were opened to families only on Sundays after church service. To ensure that no one was serving from a different piece of bacon, each family scratched an individual sign on the freshly cut edges. The storage rooms have been transformed into guestrooms in recent years so that today visitors can sleep inside the mighty walls. In addition, a museum was set up to report on the history of the village and the fortified church. Keys are with: Mr. Ladislau Ciocan phone: +40/749/680 770 and Mrs. Ilse Constantin phone: +40/269/847 328 Accomodation: Accomodation is possible within the fortified church walls 4 appartements: 16 beds Hotel: In the ancient granaries Apartments with two rooms and four beds each bathroom Information and Booking: Ladislau Ciocan phone: (0040-749) 680770 e-mail: ladislau.ciocan@turistintransilvania.com
Principala 316, Axente Sever 557025, Romania
Băgaciu / Bogeschdorf The fortified church is located on the main street of the village. In the village center a church existed around 1420, which was secured with a ring wall, a gate tower, and three defence towers in the course of the 15th century. Beside the gate tower, the north-eastern tower has also been preserved until today. At the end of the 15th century the church was enlarged with a bell tower, which shows a seven-fold staggered funnel-shaped portal. Shortly afterwards the church was fortified. Above the hall of the church and above the bell tower a defence level rests on buttresses. In the 18th and 19th century it was gradually removed, but the bell tower was rebuilt in 1973. The existing pew in the chancel dated 1533, is one of the most valuable of its kind in Transylvania. Place and surroundings Regardless of the moment in which the fortress is looked at, in the fresh morning light, under the bright sunlight in the middle of the day or in the soft fog of dusk, its walls seem to have been made of history and legends. Built on the location of an old basilica, the church impresses due to its dimensions and rich ornamentation. Both west and south portals adorned with high quality stone carvings are counted among the best-made stone art works in Transylvania. Fragments of the once lush mural paintings inside the church, a representation of the Apocalypse, were revealed on the northern wall. An organ built in 1804 by Samuel Metz rests on its wooden gallery. Impressive are the eroded drolleries on the chancel, strange masks that have been interpreted both as saints and as demons. Keys are with: Mrs. Susanne Sălceanu phone: +40/740/243 853
House Nr. 62, Băgaciu 547090, Romania
5.0 1 review
Bălcaciu / Bulkesch The irregular polygonal shaped chancel of the church in Bălcaciu was erected in the 14th century and heightened with three defense levels in the 16th century. Its upper level shows one of the rare wooden defence platforms that are still preserved. On the northern side a two level sacristy was built in the same period. The old church and the interior curtain wall were demolished and the materials were used to build the current three-aisle hall church with profiled pairs of buttresses and barrel vault. In 1856 the spire tower was built. Four defensive towers and a gate tower that are still visible today strengthen the exterior circular ring wall. The neoclassical interior of the church is decorated in white and gold with few stucco works. The organ built in 1820 by Samuel Maetz and the richly decorated canopy of the pulpit are both painted in the same colors. Place and surroundings It is said about the village located between the rivers Târnava Mică and Târnava Mare that it was a witness of the legendary competition between the two rivers. Up in the Gurghiu mountains, each water stream made a bet to be the first to reach the town of Blaj. The Târnava Mare, being cautious and wise, only flowed during the day, in order to notice the obstacles in its way on time and thus be able to avoid them. Its younger sister, being full of enthusiasm, rushed to the valley without taking into account the darkness that was around. Thus, the Târnava Mică lost the bet, being forced to make long detours and turns and even flow backwards in order to be able to avoid the obstacles on its way. But we owe to this bet the “Mesopotamian” territory where Bălcaciu is located, surrounded by legends that tell of secret tunnels and damned treasures. Pieces of ancient pitchers were found buried in the ground and they are said to have been filled with priceless treasures that the devil would have changed to ashes. The mythical gold will never be found on this land, but its location and its eternal natural treasures await to be discovered over and over again. Keys are with: Mr. Friedrich Zikeli phone: +40/258/881 985
House Nr. 116, Bălcaciu, Romania
Bărcut / Bekokten In the place of the demolished medieval church, two masters of Merghindeal built a hall church covered by suspended domes in the 19th century. The bell tower with parapet walk and stairways to the upper levels built in the thickness of the walls originates from the 15th century. It was easy for a single man to block the stairways which are only 60 to 70cm wide. The remaining fragments of the ring wall bear traces of two medieval defence towers and also boast the holes of the former beams supporting the parapet walk. Place and surroundings “Transylvania, proud country with powers and wealth, surrounded by the Carpathians, coated with greenery, land of gold and vineyards” – these lyrics belong to the hymn of the Transylvanian Saxons. Yet, along the history of the village, music was not always the accompaniment; sometimes the sound of weapons was heard. The Tatar attacks caused the construction of the fortified tower, a 36m high building, with 3m thick walls. Time has woven many legends around this guardian. It is said that a generous giant helped at the raising of the tower, but after the building was finished, the fearful villagers thrown him in a fountain that can still be seen in the church. The name of the village itself is connected, as the story goes, to a spring whose name comes from the Hungarian word “Baranykur”, which means “The Lamb’s Fountain”. During a severe drought, a lamb is said to have rescued the village by discovering a spring that still exists today. The crystal clear water of this spring has quenched the thirst of the villagers for centuries and it will certainly quench the thirst of the traveler nowadays. Keys are with: Mrs. Cornelia Tache phone: +40/721/130 540 Opening times: during summer 10:00-13:00h and 15:00-18:00h during winter only on demand Accomodation: Guestrooms in the Youth Center Bărcut 100 beds Mr. Johannes Klein, phone: +40/268/211994 or Mrs. Irmgard Oprea phone: +40/372/748471 Hotel: Youth Center parish house (40 beds); former school (45 beds) The canteen can host up up to 250 people 2 seminar rooms Children's ropeway and climbing net in the parish garden Audio hiking trail between Selistat and Barcut (audio files at http://audiowanderweg.seligstadt.ro) Information and booking: Fagaras parish office phone: (0040-268) 211994 e-mail: johannes.klein@theol.unibe.ch or on site: Cornelia Tache phone: (0040-721) 130540 Internet: www.kinderuni.ro or www.kinderspielstadt.ro
Bărcut 507216, Romania
Batoș / Botsch Significant parts of today’s church originate from a Gothic church whose first construction phase dates back to the 14th century. The side aisles speak for this dating, suggesting that the church was originally a basilica. In addition, a parish priest in Batoș was first mentioned in a document as early as 1332. A major fire considerably damaged the church in 1728. Less damage was done to the bell tower built in 1638 in the southeast of the church. The reconstruction of the church began in 1781 with the Baroque reconstruction. The nave was covered with late-Baroque sail vaults with Rococo-style ornaments and galleries were added on three sides. On closer inspection, Gothic details can still be seen today: the Gothic doorframe to the sacristy, the pointed arch of the triumphal arch or the two-part Gothic seating niche in the south wall of the choir. The neo-Gothic altar dates from 1864; in its three niches, there are statues of Jesus and two Apostles. Thirty panels from around 1700 have been preserved, which represent seasons and months symbolically, but also show biblical scenes. Village The most beautiful parish festival in Batoș was always celebrated on June 24, Blasitag. It was a popular children’s festival in all Transylvania, where the whole village gathered in the parsonage. A few days before the Blasitag, the best four pupils of each class got themselves officer’s uniforms and the corresponding sabers. In the morning of the festival day the big procession was formed, preceded by the brass band, then the major surrounded by the flag bearers. Major was always the best student of the last class. He sat high on horseback with a chako and a saber. He was followed by the schoolgirls in their bright costumes, then the boys of the same class. Order was ensured by the officers in uniform. In the afternoon the girls and boys performed folk dances and later the village band played in the square behind the community hall. Only the schoolchildren were allowed to dance here in the afternoon. The older ones watched or went to the inn next to the bowling alley. Keys are with;: Mr Roland Bierfeld phone: +40/760/373 158 Hotel: guest apartment in the back of the rectory 4 beds in 2 rooms common room, kitchen, bathroom Tents can be pitched and cars can be parked in the vicarage Information and Booking: Reghin parish office phone: (0040-265) 511025 e-mail: pfarramt.reen@gmail.com
House Nr. 386, Batoș 547085, Romania
Bazna / Baaßen Above the previous Romanesque construction, a Gothic hall church with polygonal chancel was erected in the first half of the 15th century. No tower was added to the church, but the hall was heightened by half its size and covered with a lierne vault. Above the chancel that boasts its groin vault, three massive defence levels and a timber frame parapet walk were built. In the 15th and 16th century the church was protected by a wall and several defensive towers, of which only the southern tower, serving both as a gate and a bell tower still exists. Later the town hall was even located here. The defensive systems of the chancel were dismantled in the 19th century and replaced by a high-hipped roof. On the western facade the probably Romanesque painted portal was exposed. The organ, the pulpit and the altar were set up in the second half of the 18th century and the pews and the tabernacle are Gothic. The sedilia with round arches originate from the Romanesque construction phase. Place and surroundings “The miracle of the fiery water”, “The field of salt” or the “Strange crater” are just a few of the places worth seeing in Bazna. It is said that, long ago, a group of shepherds who were resting near a lake close to the village decided to withstand the freezing cold of the night by making a fire. But as the first spark of the shy fire shed its light on the tired faces of the men, the looks changed into perplexity and terror: a spark touched the water surface, and instead of drowning and dying it increased and spread out and, within a few seconds, the red water of the lake was caught up in waves of fire. This happening caused so much rumour that even the count Valentin Frank von Frankenstein presents it in his lyrical writings. Years later, the phenomenon could, of course, be scientifically explained: salty water contains inflammable gasses, which have made Bazna famous in our times. The bathing places with their physiotherapeutic springs, the natural environment, the fortified church, the park – all of them offer both peace and adventure, relaxation and activity, to suit the taste of each visitor. Keys are with: Mr. Ioo Eugen phone: +40/742/319 267 Tourist Information Bazna: Opening times: Monday – Friday 09.00–17.00h Avram Iancu Street e-mail: info_bazna@sibiu-turism.ro Accomodation: Accomodation is possible in the former evangelic parish house  9 beds in 5 bedrooms, including a kitchen, store room, 2 bathrooms with shower and WC Mr. Ioo Eugen phone: +40/742/319 267 address: Bazna, house nr. 465
Nr. 465, Bazna 557030, Romania
In the middle of the village, on a slight hill, a hall church without a tower was built in the second half of the 15th century. At the beginning of the 16th century, the church was fortified and given a wooden fortified storey. At the same time a slender Gothic bell tower was built on the west side and a sacristy was added to the northern wall of the choir. The wall was fortified until 1677 with a hexagonal tower and three simple towers. The triumphal arch collapsed in 1702 as a result of an earthquake. In the second half of the 18th century the wooden galleries were built in to the west, north and south. Her rural paintings show a naive-religious world of imagination with a multitude of allegories and symbols. In 1822 the church hall received its present vaults, which are decorated with classical ornaments. In the second half of the 19th century two of the simple towers as well as the weir floor and the west tower were demolished. Today’s bell tower was built in 1892, the southwest tower and part of the wall were demolished in 1900 and a school was built in its place. The eastern part of the ring wall collapsed in 1909. The hexagonal tower to the northwest and the southeast tower next to the former vicarage have survived. The pre-Reformation Gothic winged altar has been standing in The Hill Church (Biserica din Deal) in Sighișoara since 2005. Contact The keys are with Mr Wilhelm Roth Tel.: +40/767/738 175 Beia nr. 98