Fortified Church

154 results

No results found ...

You could try to change your filters to find more results.

Cund / Reußdorf On the western side of the 15th century hall church a bell tower was erected in 1804. The pilasters of the tower show late Baroque features. From the original fortification wall almost nothing survived to this day, but the fence surrounding the yard of the church marks the initial perimeter. The chancel still preserves its original late Gothic ribbed vault, while the paneled ceiling of the hall was replaced early 20th century by a flat plastered ceiling. The most valuable piece of the interior furniture is the pre-reformation winged altar depicting the Passion of Christ. Today this altar is displayed in Sighişoara inside the Hill Church. In the chancel one can admire the late Gothic pews from 1532. Place and surroundings The village of Cund first mentioned in 1323 is located in a secluded location between the rivers Târnava Mare and Târnava Mică. Around 50 years later a big part of the settlement was passed on from one noble family to another one. Only 8 homesteads remained free, outside the noble possessions. Around 1790 are mentioned the so-called “libertines”, peasants living in 16 homesteads in Cund free of feudal influence. Over the centuries different noble families repeatedly disputed the right to rule over Cund. Most of the last 700 Saxon inhabitants left the place in the ‘90s. Mainly Romanian and Hungarians took over the Saxons farms, but a small number of German immigrants moved to the village as well. Several homesteads have been restored in recent years and converted into holiday houses. Tourism The “Valea Verde Resort” offers high-class accommodation and a delicious cuisine created from regional and seasonal products. The resort is suited for business travelers as well as families and offers rooms, spaces and equipment for large festivities or events. Keys are with: Mr. Jonas Schaefer phone: +40/265/714 399 Accomodation: About 40 guest beds are available in different summer cottages in the village, appointment through Valea Verde: phone: +40/265/714 399, fax: +40/265/714 395, e-mail: info@cund.de, Internet: www.cund.de, address: Cund, nr. 119
House Nr. 119, Cund 547647, Romania
In the early 14th Century an early Gothic basilica was built in the middle of the village. The aisles were removed and the arcades were bricked up in 1500, when the church was fortified. Above the chancel a defence tower was erected. The chancel’s polygonal closure was heightened with two defence levels and the buttresses were connected by arches, in order to build a machicoulis gallery behind them. The ensemble was strengthened by a surrounding wall in 1502, completed by a gate building and an adjoining bacon Chamber on the north-west side . The tower was heightened in 1827 and received its striking pyramidal roof. At the same time its defence systems together with the defence level of the chancel were removed . The typical western gable of the church was erected in the same time with the renewal of the roof in 1854. Inside the church the mainly 18th-century furniture is still preserved. Place and surroundings For centuries, music has added nobility to the wonderful fragrance of the gardens in Agârbiciu. The choristers, the organists, the school teachers, the priests and the pupils used to be responsible for the musical life of the Transylvanian Saxon villages. Beginning with the 16th Century, the brass bands appeared in the Southern and Central regions of Transylvania and their instrumentalists brought their contribution to the social harmony of rural life by the musical harmony they produced. Can there be anything more charming than Christmas carols sounding in perfect unison with the snow-covered landscape and the smell of homemade cakes? The brass band used to play in the tower of Agârbiciu not only on Christmas and New Year’s Eve, but also at weddings, balls and on various other occasions. Historical dissonances, wars and Communism have caused the unfortunate end of this tradition. But even without music, the village and its fortified church and old houses harmoniously vibrate with the lively natural environment that surrounds them like the frame of a pastoral picture. Keys are with: Mrs. Ingeborg Petru +40758268730 and +40269855143 
Agârbiciu 557026, Romania
Agnita / Agnetheln The 13th century basilica, initially built without towers, was rebuilt and fortified two centuries later when the chancel was completed with a defence level on arches with loopholes. This level was to be removed in the 19th century. By heightening the aisles, the building became a hall church. The western potter’s tower is equipped with a parapet walk built in the timber frame technique. The ring wall was demolished, but the defence towers are preserved: the potter’s tower, the gate tower also called the cooper’s tower, the tailor’s tower, the smith’s tower and the cobbler’s tower. The techniques and details are impressive not only on the construction itself, but inside as well. The chancel boasts a well-preserved double winged altar from 1650, an artwork that echoes the pre-reformation Gothic winged altars. Place and surroundings It is said that Saint Agnes has founded the town, many remarkable sites witnessing her protective power throughout centuries. The town preserved to this day one of the oldest and most important customs of the Transylvanian Saxons, the Parade of the Lolas. In order to chase the wintertime and the evil spirits away, the celebration is held annually in January or February. Scary dressed Lolas march through town in manacles noise with whips and tires and do all sorts of hoaxes. Besides the ragged black outfit, the main adornment of each Lola is the “larva”, a dreadful mask applied on wire mesh. Moreover Agnita was in the last century the main train station on the route of the so-called “Mocăniţa”, which linked the town of Sibiu with Sighişoara. The last part was closed in 2001 and many efforts are done since to establish seasonal tourist traffic with the historic carriages. Tourism In the last century Agnita was known as an important railway station along the tracks of the so-called „Mocănița” which connected the cities of Sibiu and Sighişoara. Sadly, the last part of the tracks was shut down in 2001. In the meantime a group of active volunteers have come together as an NGO to restore the train-tracks and to revitalise them with historic railway engines during the tourist season. Many fun and interesting events take place around the Mocănița on a regular basis, especially during the summer months. They are not only targeted at enthusiasts of trains and steam engines but offer a unique and great experience for children and families. For more information and details: www.sibiuagnitarailway.com www.phototour.mocanita.ro www.mocanita.ro/mh/
Alma Vii / Almen In the sixteenth century fortifications were built around the Saxon church in Alma Vii so that it would never be conquered. The Saxons who lived here surrounded it with towers, firing posts and holes for throwing pitch on top of invaders.  A wall boasting four defensive towers oriented towards the four cardinal points surround the church. The first floor of the bell tower was habitable, equipped with a smoke funnel. The second floor has small bays on every corner, each having three embrasures, a construction detail that can be found in Thuringia, Germany. Very interesting to visit is the gate tower, a massive structure on 5 levels, three of them equipped with defensive systems and a parapet walk on the highest level. Place and surroundings The origin and the meaning of the village name cannot be completely identified. However, it is assumed to originate in the old German word “almo”, which means elm or to derive from the Hungarian word for apple. In favour of the last one militates the usage of the meadows around and in Alma Vii for growing fruit trees. Uphill in the middle of the village stands the mighty, never conquered fortified church. It is said that Alma, the wife of the fortress’s guardian, is the one who first saw the threat of the Tartar army approaching and, to buy time for the villagers to escape, she put some rags on and soiled her face with jam and soot, thus terrifying the pagan attackers.The village has funny stories as well: one day a young woman who also worked in Mediaş finds all her master’s geese lying breathless in the yard. She figures out that the only thing left to do is to pluck their feathers for later use, so she does it and then throws the naked bodies on the riverside. Unbelievably, the next day the featherless and indignant geese march haughtily, causing great rumour among the villagers. It was only later that the housemasters understood that the geese had eaten the sour cherries from the liqueur and became so drunk that they were believed to be dead. In order to avoid the goose bumps, each goose was dressed with a specially made gown, which certainly offered a pretty spectacular image. Village Projects The mighty fortified churches is enthroned above the small village characterized by its long tradition in agriculture, livestock breeding and craftsmanship. Since 2009 the Mihai Eminescu Trust (MET) has been active in Alma Vii and has successfully accomplished a number of projects regarding the restoration of the fortification and general rural development. Together with international partners the MET is now running the “Centre for interpretation of traditional culture Alma Vii”. Further information about the project and MET can be obtained here: www.almavii.ro www.mihaieminescutrust.ro The keys are with: Mrs Simona Iacob phone: +40/269/862 552 and directly in the fortification phone: +40/269/862 501 Hotel: Guest House no. 103 1 small apartment (double room, bathroom), 1 large apartment (2 double rooms, 2 bathrooms), kitchen, courtyard with terrace In the Old School 2 four-bed rooms (youth hostel style) Information and booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust phone: (0040-724) 000350 e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Alțâna / Alzen The 13th century Romanesque basilica went through numerous transformations throughout its history: the original apse was replaced by the current Gothic polygonal chancel, the southern aisle received a Baroque vault, the central nave was covered with a late Gothic lierne vault in the 15th century. In the 19th century the bell tower with parapet walk was replaced by the current new Gothic one, built in the same time as the sacristy. The oval curtain wall was reinforced with an outer bailey and four defence towers located in the four cardinal points. The northern tower collapsed at the beginning of the 20th century and parts of the ring wall and storage rooms were demolished. Place and surroundings Alţâna has a famous history, whose tracks has materialized through time and is easy to notice in the fortified church. Dwelling on a mountain peak, close to heaven and its promised salvation, the church connects the earth and the sky.There is a stream near the village and its water whispers the story of a mysterious mill that used to be there in immemorial times. They say that strange sounds used to come from its attic and even from the depth of the dark stream water on New Year’s Eve. The last miller, unaware of these terrifying secrets, rented the mill, only to run away and leave the evil place in the very night between the years, scared to death by the terrible sounds he heard. By the next morning the mill had vanished completely, leaving behind only its name: even today the water stream is called “The Hollow of the Old Mill”. The field where it used to lie is still called “at the old mill”. Tourism Alţâna is home to a very unique interethnic museum: an extensive and well worth seeing collection of Romanian, Saxon and Hungarian cultural objects is displayed and invites visitors to an informative tour. If driving through the Valea Hârtibaciului everyone should stop by and include a visit to the museum to their travel itinerary. Keys are with: Mrs. Rosi Müller phone: +40/744/105620 Caution: Unfortunately a visit to this fortified church is currently not possible for safety reasons.
Gării Nr. 54, Alţâna 557005, Rumänien
The 13th Century basilica erected in a strategic position on top of a hill surrounded by the river Şaeş, evolved later into the famous fortified church of Apold. The ensemble survived turbulent times and stays even today almost entirely preserved, with fortification walls, defense towers and storage rooms. The three-aisles hall church originates from the 15th century, when the aisles of the former Romanesque basilica were heightened. The chancel and the nave were vaulted, and the walls of the side naves were replaced with octagonal pillars. A tower was built for the first time on the western side of the church and together with the nave and the chancel it was strengthened by adding defence levels between 1504 and 1507. From the fortification's size of the 15th and 16 century, the outer ring walls and three defensive towers have been preserved. The inner wall was demolished in the 19th century, but its path is easy to track on the exposed foundations. On the north side a storage building equipped with loopholes survived the centuries. The church boasts several treasures in its interior: the neoclassical organ altar from 1821, a Gothic tabernacle, the pulpit and wooden galleries built in 1760. Place and surroundings Since 2004, the Corona Association, in collaboration with a local partner, CasApold Association has been looking after the fortification and has carried out careful restoration works. Part of the preservation concept is to train the local people in traditional craft techniques and to involve them in the restoration process. One can get an impression of the changing duties of a castle guardian through times. A few hundred years ago he had to look out for enemies, ring the bells and heat the community room. Today his duties resemble more closely those of a project manager: he is an administrator, caretaker and a fundraiser; he sometimes prepares church services, looks after tourists and organizes concerts and other events. Key Keeper Association CasApold - AvantGuards member Mr. Sebastian Bethge Phone number:  +40722208495 
DJ106 166, Apold, Romania
The fortified church in Apoldu de Sus was erected after the demolition of the old Romanesque basilica preceding it. A church hall was built in 1836 and completed with a tower in 1867. The interior is a nice example of a neoclassical church, where the altar from 1751 and the organ from 1816 are still preserved, both of them originating from the old basilica. Only ruins of the old fortifications still remain. Nevertheless, one can notice the well-preserved structure of the traditional village, with narrow walk paths and typical farms on both sides of the main road. Place and surroundings Apoldu de Sus is one of the three so-called „ Landler villages“, where the deported Austrian Protestants settled in the 18th Century. As they arrived, they found a desolate, depopulated place, thus forming the majority of the population. Therefore the Landlers could preserve their language and traditional costumes. Starting with the 13th Century Apoldu de Sus grew into one of the most important Saxon settlements in the area. Even so, mid-17th Century the village was completely burned down and in the years to follow the population was decimated by famine, plague and war. In 1689 the local priest wrote a chronicle about the desperate situation of the inhabitants. The Landlers’ arrival century meant a considerable improvement of the economic circumstances of the place. Keys are with: Meitert family, in the parish house directly beside the fortified church Phone: +40269534 109 or +40787515 523 
Apoldu de Sus 557151, Romania
Apoș / Abtsdorf bei Agnetheln The hall church with polygonal choir was protected by a curtain wall in the Middle Ages. Still in the 16th century, further fortification works were carried out. Sustainable reconstructions took place in the 18th century: for example, the church received a tiled roof and new windows for the first time. Finally, in 1799, the separately standing bell tower was built under the direction of the master builder Michael Salzer from Biertan. The last remains of the medieval curtain wall were removed in 1913 in order to start the construction of the school building. The neo-Gothic altar, the baptismal font and the organ are 19th century works. Today, the “Villa Abbatis” equestrian center, located in the former parsonage, takes care of the preservation of the church. Keys are with: Villa Abbatis Mr. Mihai Barbu phone: +40/724/736 025
Apoș 557036, Romania
Archita / Arkeden Only the exterior walls of the central nave have been preserved from the former Romanesque basilica. The church was later rebuilt in the Gothic style and enlarged with a tower, followed by the defence systems in the 16th century: demolition of side aisles, addition of a defence level, addition of a battle platform on the tower. Two fortification walls with defence towers at the corners surrounded the ensemble by the end of the 15th century. After a fire in 1748 that also destroyed the village, the church was built in its current shape. The interior Baroque design originates from that period: the side and organ gallery, the organ itself, masterpiece of the famous organ builder Samuel Maetz, the altar and the pulpit created by master Philippi from Sighişoara. Place and surroundings How did Transylvanian villages defend themselves from Ottoman attacks in the Middle Ages? In the fortified church of Archita one can picture this very well: two fortification walls, which are strengthened by seven defense towers, protect the church. Parts of a wooden parapet walk are still preserved. From the massive bell tower one have a wide clear view of the surroundings. Between the high fortification walls and the church is the narrow confined space where villagers would have taken refuge from imminent danger. At the inner wall the machicolations, openings through which the inhabitants would pour boiling tar onto their attackers still exists. In case of a siege the tar could be heated in a special room in the bell tower. The hilly surroundings of Archita invite you to explore and you might also like to search for the ruins of the old village Wordt. The local legend says that the whole village succumbed to the plague. About one hundred years ago the knowledge of the exact location of the village sank into oblivion, too. Activities EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches” Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelical Church A. C. in Romania Costs: 200,000 EUR Time frame: 2010-2014 Keys are with: Mrs. Garofița Tutu phone: +40/762/976 400
Archita 547636, Romania
The importance of the village of Aţel in the Middle Age results from its Gothic basilica which was built in several phases, boasting a transept, a sacristy, and a western tower. The impressive stone carvings on the pillars of the middle nave originate from the first building phase in 1380, while the rich decorated western portal might have been added in the second building phase at the beginning of the 15th century, when the fortification wall was built. In 1499 the third building phase was completed with the construction of the vaults above the naves, the heightening of the chancel and the building of the upper floors on the tower. Inside the church, beside the magnificent capitals of the pillars one can admire, the late Gothic sedilia and the finely crafted portal of the sacristy are very remarkable. The chancel boasts a pew with carvings and inlay work dating back to 1516. Place and surroundings Johannes Klatt, better known as Hansi, has been for many decades the castle guardian of Aţel. He rings the bells three times every day. His job is particularly hard if one of the villagers dies. The bells have to be rung for a full hour, which is strenuous work, while the bell ropes in the tower will pull Hansi up and down. If a storm is approaching he will rush to the tower and ring the bells until the threatening clouds have passed. In his way Hansi is protecting the village from many dangers.Once in a while he will climb the steep wooden stairs to the top of the tower, passing Gothic windows, which were bricked up many years ago when Aţel was still threatened by the so-called “runners” and “burners”. From the height of the defense platform he will let his eyes wander over the red and brown roofs of the village, then follow the bends of the road, which disappears between the vineyards to the north. No enemies are to be seen nowadays, only tourists from time to time. Photo was taken by Adrian Arsu, https://www.facebook.com/AdrianArsuFilms/ The keys are with: Mrs Susani Schöffend Tel.: +40/754/867 913 
Biserica Fortificata Atel
Avrig / Freck In the 13th century, a Romanesque three-aisled pillar basilica dedicated to St. Catherine was built in Avrig. On the ground floor of the bell tower, which serves as a porch, there is a cross vault. On the remarkable west portal, remains of stone sculptures have been preserved, which remind us, for example, of Hosman. Around 1500, in the course of the reconstruction to a hall church, the side aisles were removed, the choir end was straightened and the bell tower was raised by one floor. In 1765, the choir and nave were given baroque vaults. Parts of an oval ring-wall and the remains of a gate tower are still preserved from the original fortification. The tower clock was a gift from the Gubernator Samuel von Brukenthal (1770). The pulpit including the baldachin dates from the 18th century, the late baroque altar from 1805. Keys are with: Mr. Nicolae Alexan phone: +40/743/765 412
Avrig 555200, Romania
Axente Sever / Frauendorf The Evangelic church in Axente Sever is an important witness of the hard times the region had to bare. Therefore not only the ring wall was strengthened for defensive purposes, but the church building itself was also fortified. The massive tower between hall and chancel, dating back to the 14th century has a parapet walk on the highest level and on the first and second floors simple, elongated loopholes that end as a niche towards the interior. Both the chancel and the nave were heightened with defence levels with loopholes. The arches built between the reinforced buttresses on the western facade support the defence level. A portcullis, whose guiding slides are still visible today, protected the western portal. Along the outer wall there are partially preserved and reconstructed storage rooms which are used as guest rooms today. Place and surroundings The fortified church of Axente Sever was not only the religious center of the settlement over the centuries, but also a secure place to deposit valuable goods. In the numerous storage buildings in the precincts of the castle wall, rooms were assigned to each family from the village for storing grain, meat and other food. Corn was not stored on farms, but brought directly to the fortification after harvest to protect it from possible attackers. A special procedure was the storage of the bacon in the so-called bacon towers, which were opened to families only on Sundays after church service. To ensure that no one was serving from a different piece of bacon, each family scratched an individual sign on the freshly cut edges. The storage rooms have been transformed into guestrooms in recent years so that today visitors can sleep inside the mighty walls. In addition, a museum was set up to report on the history of the village and the fortified church. Keys are with: Mr. Ladislau Ciocan phone: +40/749/680 770 and Mrs. Ilse Constantin phone: +40/269/847 328 Accomodation: Accomodation is possible within the fortified church walls 4 appartements: 16 beds Hotel: In the ancient granaries Apartments with two rooms and four beds each bathroom Information and Booking: Ladislau Ciocan phone: (0040-749) 680770 e-mail: ladislau.ciocan@turistintransilvania.com
Principala 316, Axente Sever 557025, Romania
Băgaciu / Bogeschdorf The fortified church is located on the main street of the village. In the village center a church existed around 1420, which was secured with a ring wall, a gate tower, and three defence towers in the course of the 15th century. Beside the gate tower, the north-eastern tower has also been preserved until today. At the end of the 15th century the church was enlarged with a bell tower, which shows a seven-fold staggered funnel-shaped portal. Shortly afterwards the church was fortified. Above the hall of the church and above the bell tower a defence level rests on buttresses. In the 18th and 19th century it was gradually removed, but the bell tower was rebuilt in 1973. The existing pew in the chancel dated 1533, is one of the most valuable of its kind in Transylvania. Place and surroundings Regardless of the moment in which the fortress is looked at, in the fresh morning light, under the bright sunlight in the middle of the day or in the soft fog of dusk, its walls seem to have been made of history and legends. Built on the location of an old basilica, the church impresses due to its dimensions and rich ornamentation. Both west and south portals adorned with high quality stone carvings are counted among the best-made stone art works in Transylvania. Fragments of the once lush mural paintings inside the church, a representation of the Apocalypse, were revealed on the northern wall. An organ built in 1804 by Samuel Metz rests on its wooden gallery. Impressive are the eroded drolleries on the chancel, strange masks that have been interpreted both as saints and as demons. Keys are with: Mrs. Susanne Sălceanu phone: +40/740/243 853
House Nr. 62, Băgaciu 547090, Romania
5.0 1 review
Bălcaciu / Bulkesch The irregular polygonal shaped chancel of the church in Bălcaciu was erected in the 14th century and heightened with three defense levels in the 16th century. Its upper level shows one of the rare wooden defence platforms that are still preserved. On the northern side a two level sacristy was built in the same period. The old church and the interior curtain wall were demolished and the materials were used to build the current three-aisle hall church with profiled pairs of buttresses and barrel vault. In 1856 the spire tower was built. Four defensive towers and a gate tower that are still visible today strengthen the exterior circular ring wall. The neoclassical interior of the church is decorated in white and gold with few stucco works. The organ built in 1820 by Samuel Maetz and the richly decorated canopy of the pulpit are both painted in the same colors. Place and surroundings It is said about the village located between the rivers Târnava Mică and Târnava Mare that it was a witness of the legendary competition between the two rivers. Up in the Gurghiu mountains, each water stream made a bet to be the first to reach the town of Blaj. The Târnava Mare, being cautious and wise, only flowed during the day, in order to notice the obstacles in its way on time and thus be able to avoid them. Its younger sister, being full of enthusiasm, rushed to the valley without taking into account the darkness that was around. Thus, the Târnava Mică lost the bet, being forced to make long detours and turns and even flow backwards in order to be able to avoid the obstacles on its way. But we owe to this bet the “Mesopotamian” territory where Bălcaciu is located, surrounded by legends that tell of secret tunnels and damned treasures. Pieces of ancient pitchers were found buried in the ground and they are said to have been filled with priceless treasures that the devil would have changed to ashes. The mythical gold will never be found on this land, but its location and its eternal natural treasures await to be discovered over and over again. Keys are with: Mr. Friedrich Zikeli phone: +40/258/881 985
House Nr. 116, Bălcaciu, Romania
Bărcut / Bekokten In the place of the demolished medieval church, two masters of Merghindeal built a hall church covered by suspended domes in the 19th century. The bell tower with parapet walk and stairways to the upper levels built in the thickness of the walls originates from the 15th century. It was easy for a single man to block the stairways which are only 60 to 70cm wide. The remaining fragments of the ring wall bear traces of two medieval defence towers and also boast the holes of the former beams supporting the parapet walk. Place and surroundings “Transylvania, proud country with powers and wealth, surrounded by the Carpathians, coated with greenery, land of gold and vineyards” – these lyrics belong to the hymn of the Transylvanian Saxons. Yet, along the history of the village, music was not always the accompaniment; sometimes the sound of weapons was heard. The Tatar attacks caused the construction of the fortified tower, a 36m high building, with 3m thick walls. Time has woven many legends around this guardian. It is said that a generous giant helped at the raising of the tower, but after the building was finished, the fearful villagers thrown him in a fountain that can still be seen in the church. The name of the village itself is connected, as the story goes, to a spring whose name comes from the Hungarian word “Baranykur”, which means “The Lamb’s Fountain”. During a severe drought, a lamb is said to have rescued the village by discovering a spring that still exists today. The crystal clear water of this spring has quenched the thirst of the villagers for centuries and it will certainly quench the thirst of the traveler nowadays. Keys are with: Mrs. Cornelia Tache phone: +40/721/130 540 Opening times: during summer 10:00-13:00h and 15:00-18:00h during winter only on demand Accomodation: Guestrooms in the Youth Center Bărcut 100 beds Mr. Johannes Klein, phone: +40/268/211994 or Mrs. Irmgard Oprea phone: +40/372/748471 Hotel: Youth Center parish house (40 beds); former school (45 beds) The canteen can host up up to 250 people 2 seminar rooms Children's ropeway and climbing net in the parish garden Audio hiking trail between Selistat and Barcut (audio files at http://audiowanderweg.seligstadt.ro) Information and booking: Fagaras parish office phone: (0040-268) 211994 e-mail: johannes.klein@theol.unibe.ch or on site: Cornelia Tache phone: (0040-721) 130540 Internet: www.kinderuni.ro or www.kinderspielstadt.ro
Bărcut 507216, Romania
Batoș / Botsch Significant parts of today’s church originate from a Gothic church whose first construction phase dates back to the 14th century. The side aisles speak for this dating, suggesting that the church was originally a basilica. In addition, a parish priest in Batoș was first mentioned in a document as early as 1332. A major fire considerably damaged the church in 1728. Less damage was done to the bell tower built in 1638 in the southeast of the church. The reconstruction of the church began in 1781 with the Baroque reconstruction. The nave was covered with late-Baroque sail vaults with Rococo-style ornaments and galleries were added on three sides. On closer inspection, Gothic details can still be seen today: the Gothic doorframe to the sacristy, the pointed arch of the triumphal arch or the two-part Gothic seating niche in the south wall of the choir. The neo-Gothic altar dates from 1864; in its three niches, there are statues of Jesus and two Apostles. Thirty panels from around 1700 have been preserved, which represent seasons and months symbolically, but also show biblical scenes. Village The most beautiful parish festival in Batoș was always celebrated on June 24, Blasitag. It was a popular children’s festival in all Transylvania, where the whole village gathered in the parsonage. A few days before the Blasitag, the best four pupils of each class got themselves officer’s uniforms and the corresponding sabers. In the morning of the festival day the big procession was formed, preceded by the brass band, then the major surrounded by the flag bearers. Major was always the best student of the last class. He sat high on horseback with a chako and a saber. He was followed by the schoolgirls in their bright costumes, then the boys of the same class. Order was ensured by the officers in uniform. In the afternoon the girls and boys performed folk dances and later the village band played in the square behind the community hall. Only the schoolchildren were allowed to dance here in the afternoon. The older ones watched or went to the inn next to the bowling alley. Keys are with;: Mr Roland Bierfeld phone: +40/760/373 158 Hotel: guest apartment in the back of the rectory 4 beds in 2 rooms common room, kitchen, bathroom Tents can be pitched and cars can be parked in the vicarage Information and Booking: Reghin parish office phone: (0040-265) 511025 e-mail: pfarramt.reen@gmail.com
House Nr. 386, Batoș 547085, Romania
Bazna / Baaßen Above the previous Romanesque construction, a Gothic hall church with polygonal chancel was erected in the first half of the 15th century. No tower was added to the church, but the hall was heightened by half its size and covered with a lierne vault. Above the chancel that boasts its groin vault, three massive defence levels and a timber frame parapet walk were built. In the 15th and 16th century the church was protected by a wall and several defensive towers, of which only the southern tower, serving both as a gate and a bell tower still exists. Later the town hall was even located here. The defensive systems of the chancel were dismantled in the 19th century and replaced by a high-hipped roof. On the western facade the probably Romanesque painted portal was exposed. The organ, the pulpit and the altar were set up in the second half of the 18th century and the pews and the tabernacle are Gothic. The sedilia with round arches originate from the Romanesque construction phase. Place and surroundings “The miracle of the fiery water”, “The field of salt” or the “Strange crater” are just a few of the places worth seeing in Bazna. It is said that, long ago, a group of shepherds who were resting near a lake close to the village decided to withstand the freezing cold of the night by making a fire. But as the first spark of the shy fire shed its light on the tired faces of the men, the looks changed into perplexity and terror: a spark touched the water surface, and instead of drowning and dying it increased and spread out and, within a few seconds, the red water of the lake was caught up in waves of fire. This happening caused so much rumour that even the count Valentin Frank von Frankenstein presents it in his lyrical writings. Years later, the phenomenon could, of course, be scientifically explained: salty water contains inflammable gasses, which have made Bazna famous in our times. The bathing places with their physiotherapeutic springs, the natural environment, the fortified church, the park – all of them offer both peace and adventure, relaxation and activity, to suit the taste of each visitor. Keys are with: Mr. Ioo Eugen phone: +40/742/319 267 Tourist Information Bazna: Opening times: Monday – Friday 09.00–17.00h Avram Iancu Street e-mail: info_bazna@sibiu-turism.ro Accomodation: Accomodation is possible in the former evangelic parish house  9 beds in 5 bedrooms, including a kitchen, store room, 2 bathrooms with shower and WC Mr. Ioo Eugen phone: +40/742/319 267 address: Bazna, house nr. 465
Nr. 465, Bazna 557030, Romania
In the middle of the village, on a slight hill, a hall church without a tower was built in the second half of the 15th century. At the beginning of the 16th century, the church was fortified and given a wooden fortified storey. At the same time a slender Gothic bell tower was built on the west side and a sacristy was added to the northern wall of the choir. The wall was fortified until 1677 with a hexagonal tower and three simple towers. The triumphal arch collapsed in 1702 as a result of an earthquake. In the second half of the 18th century the wooden galleries were built in to the west, north and south. Her rural paintings show a naive-religious world of imagination with a multitude of allegories and symbols. In 1822 the church hall received its present vaults, which are decorated with classical ornaments. In the second half of the 19th century two of the simple towers as well as the weir floor and the west tower were demolished. Today’s bell tower was built in 1892, the southwest tower and part of the wall were demolished in 1900 and a school was built in its place. The eastern part of the ring wall collapsed in 1909. The hexagonal tower to the northwest and the southeast tower next to the former vicarage have survived. The pre-Reformation Gothic winged altar has been standing in The Hill Church (Biserica din Deal) in Sighișoara since 2005. Contact The keys are with Mr Wilhelm Roth Tel.: +40/767/738 175 Beia nr. 98
5.0 3 reviews
Biertan / Birthälm Biertan gained its importance as a marketplace in competition with Mediaş and Moşna during the Middle Ages and was the seat of the bishop of the Evangelic Church from 1572 to 1867 . Therefore three mighty ring walls, two outer baileys and several defence towers protected the ensemble. The towerless three-nave hall church, almost completely preserved was built in 1500 on the foundations of a previous Romanesque building. The chancel had two defence levels, but the wooden one was demolished in 1803. The interior, covered by lierne vaults with ribbing shelters great treasures such as the stone pulpit from 1523, decorated with relief scenes or the late Gothic winged altar with 28 panel paintings and a delicate truss frame. The late Gothic sacristy door is a testimony of great craftsmanship. Richly decorated with inlay work, the door has a lock that was presented at the World Fair in Paris in 1889, a complicated system that centrally locks at 13 points simultaneously in order to safely keep the church treasure in the sacristy. Place and surroundings Especially in the 17th and 18th centuries the community leaders in Biertan (German name Birthälm) fought a harsh fight against moral decline. They tried to stop increasing misconducts with strict rules and severe penalties. For example, it was prohibited to drink in bad company, or to linger around at the inn for too long. If “premarital immoral incidents” occurred between couples, the wedding ceremony itself was conducted in an especially degrading manner. These and many others stories can be discovered by visitors to the Biertan fortified church. The so-called “Marriage prison” for divorcing couples survived until today, but only as a building. It is located in the precincts of the Biertan castle, which is one of the most impressive and largest fortified churches in Transylvania. The church dates back to the early 16th Century and is surrounded by three fortification walls and nine defensive towers. Once a year the meeting of the Saxons – the largest gathering of Germans still living in Transylvania and those who emigrated – takes place here. The keys are with: Parish Office Biertan Tel.: +40/269/842 660 and Mrs Erna Weinrich Tel.: +40/749/231 199 A bookshop is available Hotel: in the castle total capacity: 23 people dining and common room, full or half board is offered Information and booking: in the guesthouse "Sleeping Beauty" Adress: Str. George Coșbuc 25 or Pfarrer Ulf Ziegler phone: (0040-745) 246485 e-mail: udfz333@gmail.com The Ev. Youth Center in the preacher's hosue Adress: Piața 1 Decembrie 1918 No. 3 21 beds in 4 rooms (youth hostel) bathroom, kitchen community room for meetings with up to 50 participants Information and booking: as under "Guest House" Rectory 3 guest rooms with 3 wet rooms (9 places in total) parish house hall is suitable for seminars Information and booking: as under "Guest House" The guest house of the Mihai Eminescu Foundation Adress: Str. N. Bălcescu No. 2 4 double rooms, 3 bathrooms lounge, kitchen, terrace, parking in the yard Information and booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust phone: (0040-724) 000350 e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Biertan 557045, Romania
Bistrița / Bistritz In place of the original church built in the 13th century, the present building was erected a century later. The economic prosperity of Bistriţa at that time favoured the construction of a basilica with three naves, polygonal choir and two towers on both sides of the main entrance. The importance of the church for the community can be observed in the successive stages of reconstruction that followed: rebuilding in the shape of a Gothic basilica with the naves separated by octagonal pillars and transformation to a Gothic hall with a surrounding wall and a watch and defence tower for the city. Initially self-standing, the new tower, built in several stages, was included in the body of the church in 1487 and is the highest medieval church tower in the country. Today the church is a worthy representative of the architectural transition from Gothic to Renaissance. The tower, which was heavily damaged by a fire in 2008 was repaired and tourist may today ascend the 75m high tower by elevator in order to admire the panorama of Bistriţa. Place and surroundings The city of Bistrița is the historical centre of Năsăud County, which forms the Northern borders of the Transylvanian Saxon Lands. In the 12th century, German- speaking colonists have settled in these places, who had the right of self- administration and eventually formed the majority population until 1944. Two destructive attacks of the Mongols and the Tatars in the 13th century could not stop the economic development of Bistrița, which was called Năsăud at that time. In the 15th century the city was given the right to hold a market-place and to have its own seal. In the following period numerous buildings of great value were erected, such as the Evangelical parish church, which together with the 75m tall tower represents one of the landmarks of the city. Over the centuries, Bistrița belonged to the Principality of Transylvania, which until 1918 was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and then decided to unite with the Kingdom of Romania. By the end of World War II, most of the Germans had left the county of Năsăud and only few of them have ever returned. However, an important german-speaking community which belongs to the Lutheran Evangelical confession still exists there. Keys are with: Parish office Bistritz P-ţa Centrală Nr. 13 RO-420040, Bistritz phone: +40/263/214679 or Mrs. Lungu phone: +40/758/101 761 Hotel: Town parish office 4 renovated guest rooms with bathrooms, some with kitchenettes Information and Booking: Ana Lungu adress: Gemeindeamt, Piaţa Centrală 13 e-mail: kirchengemeinde.bistritz@yahoo.de phone: (0040-263) 214679 office hours: weekdays 8:00-15:00 Uhr The mansard of the German Forum 15 beds in 4 rooms, each with TV parking in the courtyard, terrace (suitable for barbecues), kitchen adress: Forum, B-dul Republicii 43, 20053 Bistrița phone: (0040-363) 104148 or (0040-744) 844703 e-mail: germanforumbistrita@yahoo.de Internet: www.forumbistrita.ro
Piața Centrală, Bistrița 420040, Romania
Fortified Church Bod / Brenndorf The fortified church in Bod went through difficult times, strongly affected by fire and earthquakes. The Romanesque basilica with a bell tower built in the 13th century was partially destroyed by fire only two centuries later. Starting with the late 18th century, the events precipitated: the bell tower collapsed only to be rebuilt nine years later. But after three years the church was massively destroyed by an earthquake, together with its fortification wall. The polygonal wall with outer bailey and defence towers was almost completely dismantled after this episode. Today in Bod one can admire the church built in 1806, whose tower damaged by the earthquake in 1977 was subsequently stabilized. The interior of the church houses the altar from 1869, which forms a whole together with the organ built in 1816. Original bells, dating back to Catholic times were destroyed when the tower collapsed. One bell that escaped the damages of war and further two bells made of bronze in 1922 accompany the Sunday service today. Place and surroundings Although the inhabitants of the village Bod have endured many strokes of fate over the centuries, they never gave up. Thus their eventful history can be nowadays traced on the church in the centre of the village. After the village was first mentioned in the 14th century, the number of devastating attacks increased: only between 1421 and 1658 the village has been set aflame and burned almost completely at least 5 times. During the same period the villagers were forced to participate in building the fortification of the town of Brașov and also to contribute with construction materials. Between 1718 and 1719 the plague caused around 500 victims in Bod. In 1779 floods caused major damage, closely followed by two earthquakes (1790-1802) that caused new destructions. To all these two major fires in 1844 and 1867 are added, which affected extensive ares of the village. However the villagers have repeatedly rebuilt and repaired the church. In recent years the building underwent significant repairs due to the involvement of the Federal German Government and of the Saxons emigrated from Bod. Keys are with: Mrs. Emilia Schuster phone: +40/268/283 172 Hotel: former parish house 4 guest rooms with wet cell kitchen, day room, children's playground, campfire place in the yard Information and Booking: Manfred Copony adress: Str. Tudor Vladimirescu 135 phone: (0040-721) 982431 e-mail: copony.manfred@yahoo.com Internet: www.gaestezimmer.brenndorf.ro
Strada Tudor Vladimirescu 134, Bod 507015, Romania
Boian / Bonnesdorf The church in Boian was erected around the year 1400, but it is difficult to determine which parts of the initial construction have been preserved to this day. Nevertheless, it is known that around 1500 the religious edifice was fortified, a defence level being built above the chancel. The fortification wall was designed to include a parapet walk, partly built on two levels and strengthened by a gate tower. The latter also served as a bell tower having its entrance protected by a portcullis (sliding wooden lattice reinforced with iron). Another detail that is worth mentioning is the decoration of the cornice with angled bricks, a method often used for the Orthodox churches in Moldavia and Muntenia regions. Furthermore, on both gate tower and northern entrance of the church one can find the coat of arms of the Moldavian prince Stephan the Great, to whose fief Boian briefly belonged. Place and surroundings It is utterly uncommon to find the symbol of the ureox at the entrance to an Evangelic church. And yet, in Boian, on the Northern portal of the fortified church, one can see the symbol of Moldavia carved in the shape of the relief of two ureox heads. Unlike most of the Saxon villages, this place was not part of the Royal Land (a self-administered Saxon territory), but it was part of The County of Cetatea de Baltă (Moorland Fortress). The colonists on the Royal Land were loyal only to the Hungarian king and used to enjoy a special status and privileges, while the inhabitants of the counties, Hungarian admininistrative areas, were all serfs under the authority of the feudal lord. In 1498, Matei Corvin, king of Hungary, offered The County of the Moorland Fortress as a gift to the Moldavian prince Stephan the Great. The prince supported the completion of the massive fortification around the sacred church, fact that is suggested by the presence of his coat of arms on the wall – the ureox head. Keys are with: Mr. Ciprian phone: +40/743/156 948 A visit to this fortified church is currently not possible.
Boian 557030, Romania
Boz / Bußd bei Mühlbach In the middle of the center square in the small village of Boz near Sebeș stands the late Gothic hall church surrounded by a low ring wall. According to the inscription the erection dates back to 1523. The hall and choir of the church merge together in the same width. The vault of the hall has a decorative ribbed ceiling made of clay bricks. The facades are separated by buttresses. These and further consoles arranged in between are the support for the two defence floors. The crenels were accessible through the consoles of the lower defence level while the embrasures served as defensive systems in the second defence level. Both stories can be accessed through a spiral stairway on the north-eastern side of the church. Similar fortified churches can be found in Cloașterf and Dupuș. The church of Cloașterf was built by the famous architect Stephan Ungar and he is most probably also responsible for the other two churches. A gateway tower with a wall-walk is on the northern side of the fortification. Besides the altar dating back to early Baroque the remaining décor in the interior is mostly from the 19th century. Activities In the mid-1990s, Daniel Schuster, a Saxon citizen of Transylvania from Boz, began to save the towerless fortified church of his home village from decay. He founded a foundation and collected donations. In 1998, major repair work was thus carried out on the roofs and the circular wall. Almost 20 years have now passed. Thanks to the voluntary and continuous commitment of Mr. Schuster, the ensemble has survived to this day. Nevertheless, the ravages of time gnaw at the substance and further monument preservation work has to be carried out. The Fortified Churches Foundation  is very impressed by the untiring commitment of Mr. Schuster and would like to support his work at the fortification in Boz with the roof and monument preservation programme. A brief report on the condition of the plant and preparations for initial safety measures are in progress. Our partners Daniel Schuster, foundation_agenda2023@yahoo.de District Consistory Sebeș Keys are with: Family Crișan phone: +40/258/764 334
Boz 517276, Romania
Braşov / Kronstadt The most important church of the Gothic period in Transylvania is a result of several alterations of the two preceding churches, the first Romanesque building being destroyed by an earthquake. Apart from the architectural importance of the church this is the place where the first protestant service in German language was held in 1642, this being the starting point for the reformation which was to spread throughout Transylvania. Several earthquakes during the 16th and 17th Century demanded renovation and structural support of the vaults and walls. Also the second originally planned tower at the western facade was not constructed due to the danger of earthquakes. But the heaviest damage of the church happened during the Great Fire of 1689, when it burned down completely, followed by the collapse of the vaults. Since the reconstruction works which lasted until 1772, a composition of baroque and Gothic elements hence shaped the interior of the hall church. Further renovation works, completed 1999, changed the outside appearance by cleaning the sandstone, thus making the name “black church” history. The facades show a rich decor of ornamental and figurative sculpture of sandstone, some of them having been replaced by copies to protect them from air pollution. One can see the originals inside the church. On the interior walls there is a display of 104 oriental carpets that were brought to Transylvania through the broad trade relations of the Saxon merchants to the Middle East. They were given to the parish on the occasion of festivities and since then kept and cared for during the centuries. Place and surroundings Few places in Romania can be proud of having such a density and variety of tourist attractions as the city of Braşov: from places and monuments surrounded by legends, such as “The Gate of Confession“, “Solomon’s Rocks“ or “The Witches’ Lake“, to the valuable sculptural and architectural historically certified works like “The White Tower“, “The Saints’ House” or the famous “Black Church”. The latter is considered the largest sacred monument of Romania, the most important gothic church between Vienna and Istanbul and the most important edifice erected by the Saxons in Medieval Transylvania. Dedicated to The Holy Virgin Mary before the Protestant Reformation, the church became a mourning ruin after the devastating fire that seized Braşov in 1689. Following the unfortunate event the people gave to the church its current name, which became official in the 19th Century. With an impressive height of 42m and a length of 90m, the stone titan protects a 6 tons bell, the richest collection of oriental carpets in Europe except for Turkey, and the biggest mechanical organ in the country. Visiting the Black Church: November-April in the afternoon only until 15.00h Internet: www.honterusgemeinde.ro
Curtea Johannes Honterus 2, Brașov 500025, Romania
Brateiu / Pretai Only few remains are still preserved from the Gothic basilica of the 14th century and today’s church bears the signs of the changes it underwent in the 15th century. The aisles were subject to multiple transformations: the southern arcades were demolished and the wall was heightened. Particularly interesting are the arcades preserved on the northern side featuring profiled columns and various capitals. In order to stand against attacks, the church was fortified: a defence floor was built above the chancel and a battlement walk on the bell tower. Moreover the assembly was surrounded by defence wall with a five-level gate tower. A community house was constructed later on in 1906 by using material left from the partial dismantling of the defence wall. Place and surroundings On the journey through the valley of Târnava Mare, just few miles east of Mediaş appears the fortified church of Brateiu, erected in the middle of the village. The bell tower is visible from far away and from its defense level one has a magnificent view of the surroundings. After protecting for centuries the lives and the goods of the villagers, the fortified church is nowadays part of a training center, result of a successful cooperation between the Evangelic Church A.C. in Romania and the Evangelic Church of Kurhessen Waldeck (in German language only). Starting with 2008 the craftsmen are trained here in various techniques to gain the skills necessary to properly repair the fortified churches. At the western edge of the village towards Mediaş the copper-smiths from Brateiu present a shiny and rich offer: all kind of copper objects for various use. Keys are with: Mrs. Rosemarie Popşor, phone: +40/269/863019, Accomodation: Guest rooms in the former parish house Mrs. Rosemarie Popșor phone: +40/269/863015 or +40/269/863019 Hotel: Meeting Place 5 rooms, bunk beds, 1 double bed, kitchen, lounge, bathroom Camping is possible in the large parish garden or in a mobile home Information and Booking: Kuratorin Rosemarie Popșor phone: (0040-269) 863019 or (0040-787) 516732 Weiter Informationen beim Vorsitzenden des Fördervereins Kirchenburgen: Michael Theurkauf Tel.: (0049-160) 90587493 E-mail: mogk-kassel@t-online.de Internet: www.fv-ausbildungszentrum-kirchenburgen.de
Brateiu 557055, Romania
Bruiu / Braller The initial Roman basilica from the 13th century went through numerous changes due to the many demolitions and reconstructions that occurred mainly in the second half of the 19th century, when the aisles were rebuilt with galleries and an apse was erected. Yet, a Romanesque door frame with a round arch was preserved on the southern facade. A circular wall strengthened by a western tower with parapet walk surrounded the church. Another polygon-shaped ring wall was built around the first one, being endowed with 4 bastions and a 3-level parapet walk, whose traces – the 3 rows of loopholes – are still visible in the northern wall. On the south-eastern side, a long construction on 3 levels was used both for storage and accommodation purposes, strengthened by defensive systems. Place and surroundings Local legends tell of a gravedigger who, while digging in the cemetery at night, would have found a skeleton. Laughing sarcastically and kicking it, the man invited him over for dinner. Later, the man’s peaceful dinner with his family was interrupted by a strong knock on the door: the skeleton had taken the invitation seriously and, either as a sign of gratitude for the invitation or as revenge, it kidnapped the man and took him on a mythical journey. It is said that the gravedigger returned home the same night, but he was a hundred years older and that he had visited paradise in his secular travel. But Heaven could not have been much more beautiful than his birthplace protected by the walls of the fortified church. The fortress defended both the history and the lives of the inhabitants. The pulpit of the Evangelic church in Bruiu is a real masterpiece, and the 860 tubes of the organ still preserve in their metal the spiritual memory of the chants. Keys are with: Mr. Michael Ehrmann, phone: +40/269/568515,
Bruiu 557065, Romania
The 13th century late Romanesque pillar basilica was early prepared for battle by demolition of the side naves and fortification of the central nave and the tower by adding defence levels. The chancel was heightened in 1500 by adding a defence level with machicolations. The 1847 added tower marks the present image of the church. The interior impresses with its tall and narrow proportions, underlined by the two-story balcony on the northern side, erected between 1680 and 1775. The railings were painted by the Roessler family, grandfather and grandson. The fortification wall, originating in the 14th century was strengthen by four towers and had grain storage rooms on the inside. Place and surroundings In the hymn “Transylvania, sweet home” the verse “Transylvania, seabed of a flood long gone, a sea of grain now rests on the breast of heaven” is telling the story of the sea which once covered the region in Mesozoic times. The fortified church of Buneşti was built with marine sedimentary rocks as one can see from the fossils in the masonry. Residential houses of the same period were built with timber. When the village was under attack, the inhabitants took refuge from the looters and arsonists inside the fireproof fortifications. In times of war the massive tower was also serving as a retreat for the priest. The walls are still decorated with words of solace, bearing witness to those terrible times. Priest Johannes Nösner wrote these faithful words while hiding in the room: “Hör! Hast Vor eIne gVte SaCh, aber`s geht Von statt geMaCh, fahre getrost fort, nICht Verzag, es fäLLt keIn aLt EICh aVff eInn SChlag“ (Listen! You are on the right path, if the going is slow do not despair, no old oak is felled with one stroke). The highlighted letters in the original text are roman numbers, which add up to the year 1680. Activities EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches” Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelic Church A. C. in Romania Costs: 510,000 EUR Time frame: 2010-2014 Contact: The keys are with the Wagner family phone: +40/268/248702 and Mrs Ella Wagner tel.: +40/727/344 718 address: Bunești, house nr. 14
Bunești 507035, Rumänien
Buzd / Bußd bei Mediasch Although the construction date of the church is unknown, its chancel was built in the late 14th century. In order to offer protection from the hillside, the chancel was fortified by adding three more defence levels, thus rising far above the nave. The upper fortification system can be accessed through a small spiral staircase and is situated above the rib vault. The ring wall built one century later, once over 6m tall, was downsized and its gate tower converted to a house for the castle guardian. The western Gothic portal features stylistic characteristics specific for the Mediaş area. A Neoclassic side gallery characterizes the nave’s interior, while the Baroque altar dominates the chancel. Here, next to the Gothic tabernacle and dated to the same period, one can find the beautiful portal to the sacristy. Another interesting characteristic is the wooden roofed staircase leading to the fortress. Place and surroundings The imposing fortified chancel is what impresses at first sight about the evangelic church in Buzd. The respectable old building settled on a steep slope seems as trying once to climb up the mountain, but losing its strength halfway up, it had to surrender and remained to rest its massive body on the abrupt slope. In fact the building underwent two distinct stages of construction, which explains its appearance. The chancel and the nave were not built in the same time. The unusual height of the fortified chancel stands for the requirements of a good defence: to offer protection against possible attacks coming from the hill side by allowing lookouts over the nearby hilltop into the side valley of the Târnava Mare river, in order to observe the approaching enemies in time and to avoid the surprise attacks. Activities Roof maintenance program Responsible: Districtual Consistory  of Mediaș Description: Rehabilitation of the choir framework and of the church’s lateral nave elements, moreover workings done to the covering and other smaller repairs were made. Costs: 5.000 EUR Period: June – September 2009 Keys are with: Mr. Nicolae Rafa who lives in the fortification
Buzd 557056, Romania
The Câlnic castle was built around 1270 and equipped with a residential tower, defence wall and a water ditch featuring a drawbridge. After the castle was taken over by the Saxon community, it was expanded through the construction of a second defence wall and a southern tower. For a better defence against sieges, granaries and several rooms were attached to the fortification wall, however they did not last to the present day. The fortress was provided with a small single-nave church featuring a semicircular apse towards the end of the 15th century. During the construction of the second defence wall, the water ditch was covered up and the drawbridge replaced with a gatehouse featuring a portcullis. Today, an association of the University of Cluj administrates the facility. Place and surroundings In Câlnic one of the last noble’s castles in Transylvania is preserved. Because of its exceptional meaning and value, it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.In the 13th Century Count Chyle marked his residence in the village of Câlnic by building a tower.Due to frequent attacks from the Ottoman territories the tower was upgraded with a defensive platform and surrounded by a huge defense wall.The relationship between the Chyl family and the predominantly Saxon villagers was never the best. Therefore in 1430 the last Count relocated and sold the residential castle to the villagers. They used the ensemble as a refuge in case of Ottoman attacks and constructed additional defense equipment and storage areas. In 1658 Turkish troops attacked the village and destroyed it. The castle, however, remained untaken. Inside the tower there is a museum today, which offers the opportunity to have a look on the life and local traditions of Transylvanian Saxons. Visiting: Opening hours: in the summer daily 09.00–19.00h, in the winter daily 10.00–17.00h. The castle includes a museum and a shop. The evangelic church directly beside the castle can also be visited on demand. phone: +40/258/747220 email: marpoacd@yahoo.com Accomodation: In the castle and in the evangelic parish house, phone: +40/258/747220 e-mail: marpoacd@yahoo.com.
Caţa / Katzendorf A pier basilica, easily recognizable by its main features, constitutes the core of the fortified church in Caţa. Inside, the pillars with arcades are a typical Romanesque construction to connect the side aisles to the nave. On the northern clerestory two uncovered false windows can be seen. The Romanesque chancel as well as the apse were rebuilt during the 15th century in Gothic style. The cross vault collapsed 1894 together with the western tower and it was replaced later on by a flat ceiling. The tower was never rebuilt. The massive fortified curtain wall dating back to the 15th century still preserves four of initial six defence towers. The pentagonal “priest’s tower” offers views over the garden of the parish house. The assembly was provided with a second defence wall with outer bailey as early as the 17th century. Its northern side was demolished in 1884 and in 1937 for using the resulting material to build the school and the community hall. Place and surroundings The precise date of the village’s establishment remains unknown. While the first documented reference dates back to the beginning of the 15th century, the foundation of the Romanesque basilica in the village’s center was laid as early as 1250 and the church was also fortified later on. The village developed at the crossing point of two main roads, thus being often affected by enemy attacks and fires throughout the centuries. During the 17th and the 18th century the village was plundered and torched six times. A strong fire heavily damaged the fortified church around 1706, while the parish house and the school were entirely burned down. With its 2.500 residents Caţa is today a rather quiet and peaceful place. In the village’s center, in the parish house lives the Transylvanian Saxon writer and film maker Friedrich Schuller. He restored the homestead where his father used to live as priest of the village and regularly hosts nowadays cultural and literary events: for example, in 2011 it was awarded here the first “Wordsmith of Caţa” price. Schlüssel sind bei: Frau Markus Anna phone: +40/268/248 564
House Nr. 282, DJ132B 37, Cața 507040, Romania
Cenade / Scholten The Gothic hall church in the formerly subservient village of Cenade originally dates from the late 15th century and until the middle of the 19th century also had a west tower. Fragments of the oval ring and the southern gate tower are still preserved today. The dilapidated choir was demolished in 1906 and replaced by a new building. The Rieger organ with a Neo-Gothic façade dates from 1917. In the 1930s, 1980s and 1990s, church and state authorities undertook extensive consolidation work and archaeological investigations of the church and the remains of the curtain wall. Keys are with: Mr. Simon Binder phone: +40/745/513 481 și +40/258/789 180
Cenade 517210, Romania
Chiraleș / Kyrieleis In 1790 the inhabitants of Chiraleș had to tear down their huts on the hill next to the old church and rebuild them in the valley, in the Saxon alley. The small, almost square late Gothic hall church itself was demolished in 1907 due to its deterioration. A part of the Gothic tracery with a fish-bubble motif was brought to the sacristy of the new church. A new building had been planned, but could not be realized for a long time due to the poverty resulting from the time of subservience, a terrible fire in 1870 and the construction of a new school building in 1875. It was not until 1889 that the community decided to establish a church building fund. The licensing of the building order took place at Easter 1907, and construction began on May 31. One year later, the Neo-Romanesque hall church was built, whose nave was transferred with a barrel vault with lunette caps. The sacristy is located south of the choir. The bell tower is located on the street front. Since 1909, the church has had a Neo-Gothic altar with a plaster sculpture of Jesus in its center, a work by Stefan Römischer from Unirea. The baptismal font with a stone triangular base from 1847 was taken over from the old church, and a basin was placed on it in 1909. Keys are with: Mr. Mihai Turda phone: +40/756/769 081 (store across the street)
Chiraleș, Romania
Chirpăr / Kirchberg In Chirpăr it is still possible to observe the original three aisles Romanesque basilica built in the 13th century. Without significant changes the chancel with groin vault and apse, the arcades to the side aisles and the western tower are still preserved until today. In the 15th century the assembly was surrounded by a polygonal fortification wall with outer bailey and six defence towers, which are not preserved. Around 1500 a defence level was built above the western tower, but no military systems were foreseen for the church itself. In 1862 the nave and the aisles were covered with a flat plastered ceiling and a lower roof was built above the nave. The interior furnishing originates from the 18th century. The 1778 organ rests on the western masoned gallery. The 1795 altar was built in the workshop of the master Johannes Folbert in Sighişoara. Place and surroundings Because of the many Ottoman attacks, the 7 level bell tower was fortified around the year 1500 and today, 500 years later it enjoys the status of the highest tower in the Hârtibaciu Valley. Despite its troubled existence, this stone soldier has protected not only the safety of the villagers, but also the peace of their hearts and their well being. In the old days there was a custom in Chirpăr that after the religious service all villagers would gather for dance in front of the church. Another very appreciated custom both here and in all Saxon villages was the so-called „Maibaum“ (“the May tree” in German). This ritual has a long history, since it started to be celebrated in ancient times. In the 13th Century the tree used to signify the will to live and it was cherished as a persecutor of dark and evil forces. In the 16th Century it takes over the role of “Liebesmaien” (“The May of love” in German): the country lads were placing the trees as messengers of love in the yards of their beloved ones, revealing secret loves to the community. Activities Roof Maintenance Program Responsible: The Coordination Office for Fortified Churches Costs: 1.770 Euro Time frame: autumn 2007 Description: Roof maintenance workings done to the church and tower, cleaning and repairing of all drains. Keys are with: Mr. Wolff Johann, phone: +40/269/586145
House Nr. 68, Chirpăr 557080, Romania
Cincşor / Kleinschenk In the second half of the 13th century, a chapel erected in Cincşor was the core for building the actual church, which was completed in 1421. The church was fortified step by step in the 15th and 16th century, as testified by the timber frame structures. The chancel was reinforced with buttresses and widened along with the bell tower with a wooden parapet walk. In addition, the villagers built a fortification wall with 4 defence towers and an outer moat around the church. In the following centuries, the village faced difficult times. Among other things, it was burned down during an attack in 1599. The community flourished only after 1850, when not far away from the village a bridge was built for the first time on the river Olt. Place and surroundings In the 12th Century the German-speaking settlers have reached the foothill of Făgăraşi Mountains. Among others they built here the village of Cincşor, which had a great strategic role due to its location on the banks of the river Olt. Because the inhabitants had to bare many cruel attacks for centuries, they have built the church in the middle of the village and gradually fortified it. For this purpose they have used even the stones from a former roman military camp, which was once located on a nearby hill. The church still preserves its medieval appearance: between walls and defensive towers the time has stood still for centuries.The village itself has many things to offer, starting with the beautiful traditional Saxon farmhouses. Unlike the troubled times of the past, Cincşor is today a peaceful place, where the summer months harmoniously vibrate with the organ music from the church. Tourism Both parish house and school offer high-standard, well-equipped and lovingly decorated guest rooms with real Saxon flair. Guests and visitors are welcome to enjoy the “New Saxon Cuisine” for the preparation of which only fresh and regional products are used. Further information can be obtained here: www.transilvania-cincsor.ro Activities EU-Projekt “18 Fortified Churches” Responsible: Consistory of the Evanghelic Church A. C. in Romania Costs: 190.000 EUR Period of time: 2011-2014 Keys are with: Mrs. Carmen Schuster phone: +40/744/373 090 Opening hours are valid from April to October. Groups are kindly asked to make an appointment with. Permanent exhibition: Peter Jacobi, Pictures of a Trip – Saxon Fortified Churches. Information stand Region Transylvania and Landscape of the Fortified Curches in the former evangelic school (directly beside the fortified church) Mrs. Carmen Schuster phone: +40/744/373090 e-mail: schustercarmen@yahoo.de Accomodation: Modern equipped guest rooms in the parish house and in the former school Mrs. Carmen Schuster phone: +40/744/373090, adress: Cincşor, nr. 112, e-Mail: schustercarmen@yahoo.de. Hotel: The guesthouses in the Old Ev. School, in the former Parish House and the 2 farmhouses 15 double rooms, 4 apartments bathrooms, restaurant, library, lounge Parish House 1 apartment bathroom, dining room, library, lounge, kitchen for all rooms breakfast service is included full or half board on request WiFi Information and Booking: online e-mail: kulturproject@gmail.com phone: (0040-744) 373090 Internet: www.transilvania-cincsor.ro Facebook: www.facebook.com/cincsor.casedeoaspeti/
DJ105 103, Cincșor 507261, Romania
Cincu / Großschenk From its very beginning the destiny of the Evangelic church in Cincu was to be a bastion of faith, both metaphorically and literally: the western tower was erected at the beginning of the 13th century, it was heightened and strengthened several times, gaining its current appearance after the works in the 18th century. A large part of the two ring walls, which had bastions and defense towers, have been demolished. However, from all the fortified buildings two are still preserved: the so-called old town hall and a defensive storage building. The interior nowadays has the appearance of a hall church, due to the heightening of the aisles to make room for installing the galleries. The wrought iron balustrade was added about a hundred years later. The interior furniture of the church shows an attractive mixture of styles: next to the chancel pews in the late Gothic style there is the Renaissance pulpit, while the classicist organ dominates the Baroque font, epitaphs and pews of the guilds. Place and surroundings The Saxon name “The Big Inn” probably refers to a location that was founded hundreds of years ago by a local landlord. These counts (germ. “Graf”) used to have an important position in the Transylvanian society, and many of them became mythical characters over time. Indeed, walking through the village in the morning fog and confused by the smoke coming from the nearby coal depot, the traveler would not be amazed if he would meet such a historical figure. Legends smoulder here like burning coal: translucent beings dance stunningly at night above the fortified church. “The Cursed Bridge” in the village has a story of its own. A long time ago, while the borderlines of the place were established, the wise old man of the village is said to have secretly put some soil in his boots and sworn before the authorities “I am standing now on the ancestors’ ground”. While he was returning home, his horse stumbled on the bridge and the man broke his neck as a punishment for his fraud. Tourism Accommodation is possible in the parish house with 10 beds in 2 rooms, a kitchen with refrigerator, a bath room with washing machine, a dining room and a terrace. Contact: Mrs.Friederike Pall, phone: +40/268/244192 Keys are with: Mr. Constantin Boghean phone: +40/784/451 853 or +40/268/244 112 Accomodation: Guest rooms in the parish house beside the fortified church Mrs. Friederike Pall phone: +40/268/244192 and other local possibilities
Cincu 507045, Romania