Places
Closed
Biertan / Birthälm
Biertan gained its importance as a marketplace in competition with Mediaş and Moşna during the Middle Ages and was the seat of the bishop of the Evangelic Church from 1572 to 1867 . Therefore three mighty ring walls, two outer baileys and several defence towers protected the ensemble.
The towerless three-nave hall church, almost completely preserved was built in 1500 on the foundations of a previous Romanesque building. The chancel had two defence levels, but the wooden one was demolished in 1803. The interior, covered by lierne vaults with ribbing shelters great treasures such as the stone pulpit from 1523, decorated with relief scenes or the late Gothic winged altar with 28 panel paintings and a delicate truss frame.
The late Gothic sacristy door is a testimony of great craftsmanship. Richly decorated with inlay work, the door has a lock that was presented at the World Fair in Paris in 1889, a complicated system that centrally locks at 13 points simultaneously in order to safely keep the church treasure in the sacristy.
Place and surroundings
Especially in the 17th and 18th centuries the community leaders in Biertan (German name Birthälm) fought a harsh fight against moral decline. They tried to stop increasing misconducts with strict rules and severe penalties. For example, it was prohibited to drink in bad company, or to linger around at the inn for too long. If “premarital immoral incidents” occurred between couples, the wedding ceremony itself was conducted in an especially degrading manner.
These and many others stories can be discovered by visitors to the Biertan fortified church. The so-called “Marriage prison” for divorcing couples survived until today, but only as a building. It is located in the precincts of the Biertan castle, which is one of the most impressive and largest fortified churches in Transylvania. The church dates back to the early 16th Century and is surrounded by three fortification walls and nine defensive towers.
Once a year the meeting of the Saxons – the largest gathering of Germans still living in Transylvania and those who emigrated – takes place here.
The keys are with:
Parish Office Biertan
Tel.: +40/269/842 660 and
Mrs Erna Weinrich
Tel.: +40/749/231 199
A bookshop is available
Hotel:
in the castle
total capacity: 23 people
dining and common room, full or half board is offered
Information and booking: in the guesthouse "Sleeping Beauty"
Adress: Str. George Coșbuc 25
or Pfarrer Ulf Ziegler
phone: (0040-745) 246485
e-mail: udfz333@gmail.com
The Ev. Youth Center in the preacher's hosue
Adress: Piața 1 Decembrie 1918 No. 3
21 beds in 4 rooms (youth hostel)
bathroom, kitchen
community room for meetings with up to 50 participants
Information and booking: as under "Guest House"
Rectory
3 guest rooms with 3 wet rooms (9 places in total)
parish house hall is suitable for seminars
Information and booking: as under "Guest House"
The guest house of the Mihai Eminescu Foundation
Adress: Str. N. Bălcescu No. 2
4 double rooms, 3 bathrooms
lounge, kitchen, terrace, parking in the yard
Information and booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust
phone: (0040-724) 000350
e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro
Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Biertan 557045, Romania
Bistrița / Bistritz
In place of the original church built in the 13th century, the present building was erected a century later. The economic prosperity of Bistriţa at that time favoured the construction of a basilica with three naves, polygonal choir and two towers on both sides of the main entrance. The importance of the church for the community can be observed in the successive stages of reconstruction that followed: rebuilding in the shape of a Gothic basilica with the naves separated by octagonal pillars and transformation to a Gothic hall with a surrounding wall and a watch and defence tower for the city.
Initially self-standing, the new tower, built in several stages, was included in the body of the church in 1487 and is the highest medieval church tower in the country.
Today the church is a worthy representative of the architectural transition from Gothic to Renaissance. The tower, which was heavily damaged by a fire in 2008 was repaired and tourist may today ascend the 75m high tower by elevator in order to admire the panorama of Bistriţa.
Place and surroundings
The city of Bistrița is the historical centre of Năsăud County, which forms the Northern borders of the Transylvanian Saxon Lands. In the 12th century, German- speaking colonists have settled in these places, who had the right of self- administration and eventually formed the majority population until 1944. Two destructive attacks of the Mongols and the Tatars in the 13th century could not stop the economic development of Bistrița, which was called Năsăud at that time. In the 15th century the city was given the right to hold a market-place and to have its own seal. In the following period numerous buildings of great value were erected, such as the Evangelical parish church, which together with the 75m tall tower represents one of the landmarks of the city.
Over the centuries, Bistrița belonged to the Principality of Transylvania, which until 1918 was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and then decided to unite with the Kingdom of Romania. By the end of World War II, most of the Germans had left the county of Năsăud and only few of them have ever returned. However, an important german-speaking community which belongs to the Lutheran Evangelical confession still exists there.
Keys are with:
Parish office Bistritz
P-ţa Centrală Nr. 13
RO-420040, Bistritz
phone: +40/263/214679
or Mrs. Lungu
phone: +40/758/101 761
Hotel:
Town parish office
4 renovated guest rooms with bathrooms, some with kitchenettes
Information and Booking: Ana Lungu
adress: Gemeindeamt, Piaţa Centrală 13
e-mail: kirchengemeinde.bistritz@yahoo.de
phone: (0040-263) 214679
office hours: weekdays 8:00-15:00 Uhr
The mansard of the German Forum
15 beds in 4 rooms, each with TV
parking in the courtyard, terrace (suitable for barbecues), kitchen
adress: Forum, B-dul Republicii 43, 20053 Bistrița
phone: (0040-363) 104148
or (0040-744) 844703
e-mail: germanforumbistrita@yahoo.de
Internet: www.forumbistrita.ro
Piața Centrală, Bistrița 420040, Romania
Fortified Church Bod / Brenndorf
The fortified church in Bod went through difficult times, strongly affected by fire and earthquakes.
The Romanesque basilica with a bell tower built in the 13th century was partially destroyed by fire only two centuries later. Starting with the late 18th century, the events precipitated: the bell tower collapsed only to be rebuilt nine years later. But after three years the church was massively destroyed by an earthquake, together with its fortification wall. The polygonal wall with outer bailey and defence towers was almost completely dismantled after this episode.
Today in Bod one can admire the church built in 1806, whose tower damaged by the earthquake in 1977 was subsequently stabilized. The interior of the church houses the altar from 1869, which forms a whole together with the organ built in 1816. Original bells, dating back to Catholic times were destroyed when the tower collapsed. One bell that escaped the damages of war and further two bells made of bronze in 1922 accompany the Sunday service today.
Place and surroundings
Although the inhabitants of the village Bod have endured many strokes of fate over the centuries, they never gave up. Thus their eventful history can be nowadays traced on the church in the centre of the village.
After the village was first mentioned in the 14th century, the number of devastating attacks increased: only between 1421 and 1658 the village has been set aflame and burned almost completely at least 5 times. During the same period the villagers were forced to participate in building the fortification of the town of Brașov and also to contribute with construction materials.
Between 1718 and 1719 the plague caused around 500 victims in Bod. In 1779 floods caused major damage, closely followed by two earthquakes (1790-1802) that caused new destructions. To all these two major fires in 1844 and 1867 are added, which affected extensive ares of the village.
However the villagers have repeatedly rebuilt and repaired the church. In recent years the building underwent significant repairs due to the involvement of the Federal German Government and of the Saxons emigrated from Bod.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Emilia Schuster
phone: +40/268/283 172
Hotel:
former parish house
4 guest rooms with wet cell
kitchen, day room, children's playground, campfire place in the yard
Information and Booking: Manfred Copony
adress: Str. Tudor Vladimirescu 135
phone: (0040-721) 982431
e-mail: copony.manfred@yahoo.com
Internet: www.gaestezimmer.brenndorf.ro
Strada Tudor Vladimirescu 134, Bod 507015, Romania
Boian / Bonnesdorf
The church in Boian was erected around the year 1400, but it is difficult to determine which parts of the initial construction have been preserved to this day. Nevertheless, it is known that around 1500 the religious edifice was fortified, a defence level being built above the chancel. The fortification wall was designed to include a parapet walk, partly built on two levels and strengthened by a gate tower. The latter also served as a bell tower having its entrance protected by a portcullis (sliding wooden lattice reinforced with iron). Another detail that is worth mentioning is the decoration of the cornice with angled bricks, a method often used for the Orthodox churches in Moldavia and Muntenia regions.
Furthermore, on both gate tower and northern entrance of the church one can find the coat of arms of the Moldavian prince Stephan the Great, to whose fief Boian briefly belonged.
Place and surroundings
It is utterly uncommon to find the symbol of the ureox at the entrance to an Evangelic church. And yet, in Boian, on the Northern portal of the fortified church, one can see the symbol of Moldavia carved in the shape of the relief of two ureox heads. Unlike most of the Saxon villages, this place was not part of the Royal Land (a self-administered Saxon territory), but it was part of The County of Cetatea de Baltă (Moorland Fortress). The colonists on the Royal Land were loyal only to the Hungarian king and used to enjoy a special status and privileges, while the inhabitants of the counties, Hungarian admininistrative areas, were all serfs under the authority of the feudal lord.
In 1498, Matei Corvin, king of Hungary, offered The County of the Moorland Fortress as a gift to the Moldavian prince Stephan the Great. The prince supported the completion of the massive fortification around the sacred church, fact that is suggested by the presence of his coat of arms on the wall – the ureox head.
Keys are with:
Mr. Ciprian
phone: +40/743/156 948
A visit to this fortified church is currently not possible.
Boian 557030, Romania
Boz / Bußd bei Mühlbach
In the middle of the center square in the small village of Boz near Sebeș stands the late Gothic hall church surrounded by a low ring wall. According to the inscription the erection dates back to 1523. The hall and choir of the church merge together in the same width. The vault of the hall has a decorative ribbed ceiling made of clay bricks. The facades are separated by buttresses. These and further consoles arranged in between are the support for the two defence floors. The crenels were accessible through the consoles of the lower defence level while the embrasures served as defensive systems in the second defence level. Both stories can be accessed through a spiral stairway on the north-eastern side of the church. Similar fortified churches can be found in Cloașterf and Dupuș. The church of Cloașterf was built by the famous architect Stephan Ungar and he is most probably also responsible for the other two churches.
A gateway tower with a wall-walk is on the northern side of the fortification. Besides the altar dating back to early Baroque the remaining décor in the interior is mostly from the 19th century.
Activities
In the mid-1990s, Daniel Schuster, a Saxon citizen of Transylvania from Boz, began to save the towerless fortified church of his home village from decay. He founded a foundation and collected donations. In 1998, major repair work was thus carried out on the roofs and the circular wall.
Almost 20 years have now passed. Thanks to the voluntary and continuous commitment of Mr. Schuster, the ensemble has survived to this day. Nevertheless, the ravages of time gnaw at the substance and further monument preservation work has to be carried out.
The Fortified Churches Foundation is very impressed by the untiring commitment of Mr. Schuster and would like to support his work at the fortification in Boz with the roof and monument preservation programme. A brief report on the condition of the plant and preparations for initial safety measures are in progress.
Our partners
Daniel Schuster, foundation_agenda2023@yahoo.de
District Consistory Sebeș
Keys are with:
Family Crișan
phone: +40/258/764 334
Boz 517276, Romania
Closed
Braşov / Kronstadt
The most important church of the Gothic period in Transylvania is a result of several alterations of the two preceding churches, the first Romanesque building being destroyed by an earthquake. Apart from the architectural importance of the church this is the place where the first protestant service in German language was held in 1642, this being the starting point for the reformation which was to spread throughout Transylvania. Several earthquakes during the 16th and 17th Century demanded renovation and structural support of the vaults and walls. Also the second originally planned tower at the western facade was not constructed due to the danger of earthquakes. But the heaviest damage of the church happened during the Great Fire of 1689, when it burned down completely, followed by the collapse of the vaults.
Since the reconstruction works which lasted until 1772, a composition of baroque and Gothic elements hence shaped the interior of the hall church. Further renovation works, completed 1999, changed the outside appearance by cleaning the sandstone, thus making the name “black church” history. The facades show a rich decor of ornamental and figurative sculpture of sandstone, some of them having been replaced by copies to protect them from air pollution. One can see the originals inside the church. On the interior walls there is a display of 104 oriental carpets that were brought to Transylvania through the broad trade relations of the Saxon merchants to the Middle East. They were given to the parish on the occasion of festivities and since then kept and cared for during the centuries.
Place and surroundings
Few places in Romania can be proud of having such a density and variety of tourist attractions as the city of Braşov: from places and monuments surrounded by legends, such as “The Gate of Confession“, “Solomon’s Rocks“ or “The Witches’ Lake“, to the valuable sculptural and architectural historically certified works like “The White Tower“, “The Saints’ House” or the famous “Black Church”. The latter is considered the largest sacred monument of Romania, the most important gothic church between Vienna and Istanbul and the most important edifice erected by the Saxons in Medieval Transylvania. Dedicated to The Holy Virgin Mary before the Protestant Reformation, the church became a mourning ruin after the devastating fire that seized Braşov in 1689. Following the unfortunate event the people gave to the church its current name, which became official in the 19th Century.
With an impressive height of 42m and a length of 90m, the stone titan protects a 6 tons bell, the richest collection of oriental carpets in Europe except for Turkey, and the biggest mechanical organ in the country.
Visiting the Black Church:
November-April in the afternoon only until 15.00h
Internet: www.honterusgemeinde.ro
Curtea Johannes Honterus 2, Brașov 500025, Romania
Brateiu / Pretai
Only few remains are still preserved from the Gothic basilica of the 14th century and today’s church bears the signs of the changes it underwent in the 15th century. The aisles were subject to multiple transformations: the southern arcades were demolished and the wall was heightened. Particularly interesting are the arcades preserved on the northern side featuring profiled columns and various capitals. In order to stand against attacks, the church was fortified: a defence floor was built above the chancel and a battlement walk on the bell tower. Moreover the assembly was surrounded by defence wall with a five-level gate tower. A community house was constructed later on in 1906 by using material left from the partial dismantling of the defence wall.
Place and surroundings
On the journey through the valley of Târnava Mare, just few miles east of Mediaş appears the fortified church of Brateiu, erected in the middle of the village. The bell tower is visible from far away and from its defense level one has a magnificent view of the surroundings.
After protecting for centuries the lives and the goods of the villagers, the fortified church is nowadays part of a training center, result of a successful cooperation between the Evangelic Church A.C. in Romania and the Evangelic Church of Kurhessen Waldeck (in German language only). Starting with 2008 the craftsmen are trained here in various techniques to gain the skills necessary to properly repair the fortified churches.
At the western edge of the village towards Mediaş the copper-smiths from Brateiu present a shiny and rich offer: all kind of copper objects for various use.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Rosemarie Popşor,
phone: +40/269/863019,
Accomodation:
Guest rooms in the former parish house
Mrs. Rosemarie Popșor
phone: +40/269/863015
or +40/269/863019
Hotel:
Meeting Place
5 rooms, bunk beds, 1 double bed, kitchen, lounge, bathroom
Camping is possible in the large parish garden or in a mobile home
Information and Booking: Kuratorin Rosemarie Popșor
phone: (0040-269) 863019
or (0040-787) 516732
Weiter Informationen beim Vorsitzenden des Fördervereins Kirchenburgen: Michael Theurkauf
Tel.: (0049-160) 90587493
E-mail: mogk-kassel@t-online.de
Internet: www.fv-ausbildungszentrum-kirchenburgen.de
Brateiu 557055, Romania
Bruiu / Braller
The initial Roman basilica from the 13th century went through numerous changes due to the many demolitions and reconstructions that occurred mainly in the second half of the 19th century, when the aisles were rebuilt with galleries and an apse was erected. Yet, a Romanesque door frame with a round arch was preserved on the southern facade.
A circular wall strengthened by a western tower with parapet walk surrounded the church. Another polygon-shaped ring wall was built around the first one, being endowed with 4 bastions and a 3-level parapet walk, whose traces – the 3 rows of loopholes – are still visible in the northern wall. On the south-eastern side, a long construction on 3 levels was used both for storage and accommodation purposes, strengthened by defensive systems.
Place and surroundings
Local legends tell of a gravedigger who, while digging in the cemetery at night, would have found a skeleton. Laughing sarcastically and kicking it, the man invited him over for dinner. Later, the man’s peaceful dinner with his family was interrupted by a strong knock on the door: the skeleton had taken the invitation seriously and, either as a sign of gratitude for the invitation or as revenge, it kidnapped the man and took him on a mythical journey. It is said that the gravedigger returned home the same night, but he was a hundred years older and that he had visited paradise in his secular travel. But Heaven could not have been much more beautiful than his birthplace protected by the walls of the fortified church.
The fortress defended both the history and the lives of the inhabitants. The pulpit of the Evangelic church in Bruiu is a real masterpiece, and the 860 tubes of the organ still preserve in their metal the spiritual memory of the chants.
Keys are with:
Mr. Michael Ehrmann,
phone: +40/269/568515,
Bruiu 557065, Romania
The 13th century late Romanesque pillar basilica was early prepared for battle by demolition of the side naves and fortification of the central nave and the tower by adding defence levels. The chancel was heightened in 1500 by adding a defence level with machicolations. The 1847 added tower marks the present image of the church. The interior impresses with its tall and narrow proportions, underlined by the two-story balcony on the northern side, erected between 1680 and 1775. The railings were painted by the Roessler family, grandfather and grandson. The fortification wall, originating in the 14th century was strengthen by four towers and had grain storage rooms on the inside.
Place and surroundings
In the hymn “Transylvania, sweet home” the verse “Transylvania, seabed of a flood long gone, a sea of grain now rests on the breast of heaven” is telling the story of the sea which once covered the region in Mesozoic times. The fortified church of Buneşti was built with marine sedimentary rocks as one can see from the fossils in the masonry. Residential houses of the same period were built with timber. When the village was under attack, the inhabitants took refuge from the looters and arsonists inside the fireproof fortifications. In times of war the massive tower was also serving as a retreat for the priest. The walls are still decorated with words of solace, bearing witness to those terrible times. Priest Johannes Nösner wrote these faithful words while hiding in the room: “Hör! Hast Vor eIne gVte SaCh, aber`s geht Von statt geMaCh, fahre getrost fort, nICht Verzag, es fäLLt keIn aLt EICh aVff eInn SChlag“ (Listen! You are on the right path, if the going is slow do not despair, no old oak is felled with one stroke). The highlighted letters in the original text are roman numbers, which add up to the year 1680.
Activities
EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelic Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 510,000 EUR
Time frame: 2010-2014
Contact:
The keys are with the Wagner family
phone: +40/268/248702
and Mrs Ella Wagner
tel.: +40/727/344 718
address: Bunești, house nr. 14
Bunești 507035, Rumänien
Buzd / Bußd bei Mediasch
Although the construction date of the church is unknown, its chancel was built in the late 14th century. In order to offer protection from the hillside, the chancel was fortified by adding three more defence levels, thus rising far above the nave. The upper fortification system can be accessed through a small spiral staircase and is situated above the rib vault. The ring wall built one century later, once over 6m tall, was downsized and its gate tower converted to a house for the castle guardian. The western Gothic portal features stylistic characteristics specific for the Mediaş area. A Neoclassic side gallery characterizes the nave’s interior, while the Baroque altar dominates the chancel. Here, next to the Gothic tabernacle and dated to the same period, one can find the beautiful portal to the sacristy. Another interesting characteristic is the wooden roofed staircase leading to the fortress.
Place and surroundings
The imposing fortified chancel is what impresses at first sight about the evangelic church in Buzd. The respectable old building settled on a steep slope seems as trying once to climb up the mountain, but losing its strength halfway up, it had to surrender and remained to rest its massive body on the abrupt slope. In fact the building underwent two distinct stages of construction, which explains its appearance. The chancel and the nave were not built in the same time. The unusual height of the fortified chancel stands for the requirements of a good defence: to offer protection against possible attacks coming from the hill side by allowing lookouts over the nearby hilltop into the side valley of the Târnava Mare river, in order to observe the approaching enemies in time and to avoid the surprise attacks.
Activities
Roof maintenance program
Responsible: Districtual Consistory of Mediaș
Description: Rehabilitation of the choir framework and of the church’s lateral nave elements, moreover workings done to the covering and other smaller repairs were made.
Costs: 5.000 EUR
Period: June – September 2009
Keys are with:
Mr. Nicolae Rafa who lives in the fortification
Buzd 557056, Romania
The Câlnic castle was built around 1270 and equipped with a residential tower, defence wall and a water ditch featuring a drawbridge. After the castle was taken over by the Saxon community, it was expanded through the construction of a second defence wall and a southern tower. For a better defence against sieges, granaries and several rooms were attached to the fortification wall, however they did not last to the present day. The fortress was provided with a small single-nave church featuring a semicircular apse towards the end of the 15th century. During the construction of the second defence wall, the water ditch was covered up and the drawbridge replaced with a gatehouse featuring a portcullis. Today, an association of the University of Cluj administrates the facility.
Place and surroundings
In Câlnic one of the last noble’s castles in Transylvania is preserved. Because of its exceptional meaning and value, it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.In the 13th Century Count Chyle marked his residence in the village of Câlnic by building a tower.Due to frequent attacks from the Ottoman territories the tower was upgraded with a defensive platform and surrounded by a huge defense wall.The relationship between the Chyl family and the predominantly Saxon villagers was never the best. Therefore in 1430 the last Count relocated and sold the residential castle to the villagers. They used the ensemble as a refuge in case of Ottoman attacks and constructed additional defense equipment and storage areas.
In 1658 Turkish troops attacked the village and destroyed it. The castle, however, remained untaken. Inside the tower there is a museum today, which offers the opportunity to have a look on the life and local traditions of Transylvanian Saxons.
Visiting:
Opening hours:
in the summer daily 09.00–19.00h,
in the winter daily 10.00–17.00h.
The castle includes a museum and a shop. The evangelic church directly beside the castle can also be visited on demand.
phone: +40/258/747220
email: marpoacd@yahoo.com
Accomodation:
In the castle and in the evangelic parish house,
phone: +40/258/747220
e-mail: marpoacd@yahoo.com.
Caţa / Katzendorf
A pier basilica, easily recognizable by its main features, constitutes the core of the fortified church in Caţa. Inside, the pillars with arcades are a typical Romanesque construction to connect the side aisles to the nave. On the northern clerestory two uncovered false windows can be seen. The Romanesque chancel as well as the apse were rebuilt during the 15th century in Gothic style. The cross vault collapsed 1894 together with the western tower and it was replaced later on by a flat ceiling. The tower was never rebuilt. The massive fortified curtain wall dating back to the 15th century still preserves four of initial six defence towers. The pentagonal “priest’s tower” offers views over the garden of the parish house. The assembly was provided with a second defence wall with outer bailey as early as the 17th century. Its northern side was demolished in 1884 and in 1937 for using the resulting material to build the school and the community hall.
Place and surroundings
The precise date of the village’s establishment remains unknown. While the first documented reference dates back to the beginning of the 15th century, the foundation of the Romanesque basilica in the village’s center was laid as early as 1250 and the church was also fortified later on. The village developed at the crossing point of two main roads, thus being often affected by enemy attacks and fires throughout the centuries. During the 17th and the 18th century the village was plundered and torched six times. A strong fire heavily damaged the fortified church around 1706, while the parish house and the school were entirely burned down.
With its 2.500 residents Caţa is today a rather quiet and peaceful place. In the village’s center, in the parish house lives the Transylvanian Saxon writer and film maker Friedrich Schuller. He restored the homestead where his father used to live as priest of the village and regularly hosts nowadays cultural and literary events: for example, in 2011 it was awarded here the first “Wordsmith of Caţa” price.
Schlüssel sind bei:
Frau Markus Anna
phone: +40/268/248 564
House Nr. 282, DJ132B 37, Cața 507040, Romania
Cenade / Scholten
The Gothic hall church in the formerly subservient village of Cenade originally dates from the late 15th century and until the middle of the 19th century also had a west tower. Fragments of the oval ring and the southern gate tower are still preserved today.
The dilapidated choir was demolished in 1906 and replaced by a new building. The Rieger organ with a Neo-Gothic façade dates from 1917.
In the 1930s, 1980s and 1990s, church and state authorities undertook extensive consolidation work and archaeological investigations of the church and the remains of the curtain wall.
Keys are with:
Mr. Simon Binder
phone: +40/745/513 481
și +40/258/789 180
Cenade 517210, Romania
Chiraleș / Kyrieleis
In 1790 the inhabitants of Chiraleș had to tear down their huts on the hill next to the old church and rebuild them in the valley, in the Saxon alley. The small, almost square late Gothic hall church itself was demolished in 1907 due to its deterioration. A part of the Gothic tracery with a fish-bubble motif was brought to the sacristy of the new church. A new building had been planned, but could not be realized for a long time due to the poverty resulting from the time of subservience, a terrible fire in 1870 and the construction of a new school building in 1875. It was not until 1889 that the community decided to establish a church building fund. The licensing of the building order took place at Easter 1907, and construction began on May 31. One year later, the Neo-Romanesque hall church was built, whose nave was transferred with a barrel vault with lunette caps. The sacristy is located south of the choir. The bell tower is located on the street front. Since 1909, the church has had a Neo-Gothic altar with a plaster sculpture of Jesus in its center, a work by Stefan Römischer from Unirea. The baptismal font with a stone triangular base from 1847 was taken over from the old church, and a basin was placed on it in 1909.
Keys are with:
Mr. Mihai Turda
phone: +40/756/769 081
(store across the street)
Chiraleș, Romania
Chirpăr / Kirchberg
In Chirpăr it is still possible to observe the original three aisles Romanesque basilica built in the 13th century. Without significant changes the chancel with groin vault and apse, the arcades to the side aisles and the western tower are still preserved until today. In the 15th century the assembly was surrounded by a polygonal fortification wall with outer bailey and six defence towers, which are not preserved. Around 1500 a defence level was built above the western tower, but no military systems were foreseen for the church itself. In 1862 the nave and the aisles were covered with a flat plastered ceiling and a lower roof was built above the nave. The interior furnishing originates from the 18th century. The 1778 organ rests on the western masoned gallery. The 1795 altar was built in the workshop of the master Johannes Folbert in Sighişoara.
Place and surroundings
Because of the many Ottoman attacks, the 7 level bell tower was fortified around the year 1500 and today, 500 years later it enjoys the status of the highest tower in the Hârtibaciu Valley. Despite its troubled existence, this stone soldier has protected not only the safety of the villagers, but also the peace of their hearts and their well being. In the old days there was a custom in Chirpăr that after the religious service all villagers would gather for dance in front of the church. Another very appreciated custom both here and in all Saxon villages was the so-called „Maibaum“ (“the May tree” in German). This ritual has a long history, since it started to be celebrated in ancient times. In the 13th Century the tree used to signify the will to live and it was cherished as a persecutor of dark and evil forces. In the 16th Century it takes over the role of “Liebesmaien” (“The May of love” in German): the country lads were placing the trees as messengers of love in the yards of their beloved ones, revealing secret loves to the community.
Activities
Roof Maintenance Program
Responsible: The Coordination Office for Fortified Churches
Costs: 1.770 Euro
Time frame: autumn 2007
Description: Roof maintenance workings done to the church and tower, cleaning and repairing of all drains.
Keys are with:
Mr. Wolff Johann,
phone: +40/269/586145
House Nr. 68, Chirpăr 557080, Romania
Closed
Cincşor / Kleinschenk
In the second half of the 13th century, a chapel erected in Cincşor was the core for building the actual church, which was completed in 1421. The church was fortified step by step in the 15th and 16th century, as testified by the timber frame structures. The chancel was reinforced with buttresses and widened along with the bell tower with a wooden parapet walk. In addition, the villagers built a fortification wall with 4 defence towers and an outer moat around the church. In the following centuries, the village faced difficult times. Among other things, it was burned down during an attack in 1599. The community flourished only after 1850, when not far away from the village a bridge was built for the first time on the river Olt.
Place and surroundings
In the 12th Century the German-speaking settlers have reached the foothill of Făgăraşi Mountains. Among others they built here the village of Cincşor, which had a great strategic role due to its location on the banks of the river Olt. Because the inhabitants had to bare many cruel attacks for centuries, they have built the church in the middle of the village and gradually fortified it. For this purpose they have used even the stones from a former roman military camp, which was once located on a nearby hill. The church still preserves its medieval appearance: between walls and defensive towers the time has stood still for centuries.The village itself has many things to offer, starting with the beautiful traditional Saxon farmhouses. Unlike the troubled times of the past, Cincşor is today a peaceful place, where the summer months harmoniously vibrate with the organ music from the church.
Tourism
Both parish house and school offer high-standard, well-equipped and lovingly decorated guest rooms with real Saxon flair. Guests and visitors are welcome to enjoy the “New Saxon Cuisine” for the preparation of which only fresh and regional products are used. Further information can be obtained here: www.transilvania-cincsor.ro
Activities
EU-Projekt “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: Consistory of the Evanghelic Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 190.000 EUR
Period of time: 2011-2014
Keys are with:
Mrs. Carmen Schuster
phone: +40/744/373 090
Opening hours are valid from April to October.
Groups are kindly asked to make an appointment with.
Permanent exhibition:
Peter Jacobi, Pictures of a Trip – Saxon Fortified Churches.
Information stand Region Transylvania and Landscape of the Fortified Curches in the former evangelic school (directly beside the fortified church)
Mrs. Carmen Schuster
phone: +40/744/373090
e-mail: schustercarmen@yahoo.de
Accomodation:
Modern equipped guest rooms in the parish house and in the former school
Mrs. Carmen Schuster
phone: +40/744/373090,
adress: Cincşor, nr. 112,
e-Mail: schustercarmen@yahoo.de.
Hotel:
The guesthouses in the Old Ev. School, in the former Parish House and the 2 farmhouses
15 double rooms, 4 apartments
bathrooms, restaurant, library, lounge
Parish House
1 apartment
bathroom, dining room, library, lounge, kitchen
for all rooms breakfast service is included
full or half board on request
WiFi
Information and Booking: online
e-mail: kulturproject@gmail.com
phone: (0040-744) 373090
Internet: www.transilvania-cincsor.ro
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cincsor.casedeoaspeti/
DJ105 103, Cincșor 507261, Romania
Cincu / Großschenk
From its very beginning the destiny of the Evangelic church in Cincu was to be a bastion of faith, both metaphorically and literally: the western tower was erected at the beginning of the 13th century, it was heightened and strengthened several times, gaining its current appearance after the works in the 18th century. A large part of the two ring walls, which had bastions and defense towers, have been demolished. However, from all the fortified buildings two are still preserved: the so-called old town hall and a defensive storage building.
The interior nowadays has the appearance of a hall church, due to the heightening of the aisles to make room for installing the galleries. The wrought iron balustrade was added about a hundred years later. The interior furniture of the church shows an attractive mixture of styles: next to the chancel pews in the late Gothic style there is the Renaissance pulpit, while the classicist organ dominates the Baroque font, epitaphs and pews of the guilds.
Place and surroundings
The Saxon name “The Big Inn” probably refers to a location that was founded hundreds of years ago by a local landlord. These counts (germ. “Graf”) used to have an important position in the Transylvanian society, and many of them became mythical characters over time. Indeed, walking through the village in the morning fog and confused by the smoke coming from the nearby coal depot, the traveler would not be amazed if he would meet such a historical figure. Legends smoulder here like burning coal: translucent beings dance stunningly at night above the fortified church. “The Cursed Bridge” in the village has a story of its own. A long time ago, while the borderlines of the place were established, the wise old man of the village is said to have secretly put some soil in his boots and sworn before the authorities “I am standing now on the ancestors’ ground”. While he was returning home, his horse stumbled on the bridge and the man broke his neck as a punishment for his fraud.
Tourism
Accommodation is possible in the parish house with 10 beds in 2 rooms, a kitchen with refrigerator, a bath room with washing machine, a dining room and a terrace.
Contact: Mrs.Friederike Pall,
phone: +40/268/244192
Keys are with:
Mr. Constantin Boghean
phone: +40/784/451 853
or +40/268/244 112
Accomodation:
Guest rooms in the parish house beside the fortified church
Mrs. Friederike Pall
phone: +40/268/244192
and other local possibilities
Cincu 507045, Romania
Today the church still exhibits the basic characteristics of the three-aisle Romanesque basilica that originally had a six-level western tower. The ensemble was surrounded by a ring wall, which was fortified starting in 1430, when the Ottoman attacks occurred. A second fortification wall was built, as well as several defence towers and a moat. The church itself was also strengthened: defence towers were built above the chancel and its apse and above the two side entrances. The western Romanesque portal is ornamented with typical interlace. The spire roof with corner towers was built as early as 1591. Especially valuable are the altars from other village churches, which are displayed inside. These were brought to Cisnădie for safety reasons.
Place and surroundings
The legend of the fortified church of Cisnădie tells us that a great treasure was once hidden inside. After numerous Ottoman attacks in the 15th Century the village community built a secret chamber within the castle walls. Access was secured with a massive oak door, which could only be opened by pressing a hidden spring. From the outside, the entrance was camouflaged so well that only few insiders could find it. Not even the priests knew about it. Over the centuries, the knowledge of this hidden entrance got lost. At the beginning of the 20th Century it was rediscovered and can be visited today.In addition, not secretly hidden, but visible from far away visitors can spot the first clock tower in Transylvania, which is operated since 1425, and the first lightning rod in Transylvania dating back to 1795.The bell ringer of Cisnădie provides expert guided tours of the fortification and the church affiliated museum and has many more stories and legends to share.
Church Services and Events
In the church of Cisnădie there is a church service every Sunday at 10 o’clock. During the summer months all visitors are invited to a carefree get-together after the service where coffee and cake are usually served. Furthermore there are many events to celebrate the Christian holidays within the walls of the fortification. They are all organized by the very active congregation of Cisnădie. Further information can be obtained on the website of the Parish.
Contact:
The keys are at the Parish Office Cisnădie,
phone: +40/269/564597,
address: Cisnădie, str. Cetăţii, nr. 1,
Internet: www.ekh.ro.
Opening times:
Monday - Saturday 10:00-13:00h and 14:00-18:00h,
Sunday 11:00-13:00h and 14:00-18:00h,
and on demand.
Accomodation:
Guest rooms in the parish house: 12 beds,
contact: Parish Office Cisnădie,
phone: +40/269/564597,
Internet: www.ekh.ro.
Guest rooms in the rest home Elimheim Cisnădioara: 20 beds in 10 rooms,
contact person: Mrs. Marianne Banciu,
phone: +40/729/109586,
address: Cisnădioara, nr. 281,
e-mail: elimheim@yahoo.com.
Heltau 555300, Rumänien
Cisnădioara / Michelsberg
The church on the hill, today part of the communal property, is one of the few unchanged testimonies of the Romanesque construction time in Transylvania. The small three-aisles basilica was probably built before 1223. The western funnel-shaped portal exhibits particularly beautiful stone masonry. The interior, which nowadays only contains a memorial dedicated to the soldiers fallen in the WWI, impresses by its contemplative style. From the former defence ensemble only rests of the ring wall and its towers are still preserved.
Equally remarkable is the village parish church, whose fortification system did not last until today, except for the western tower and its defence level. The single-nave Baroque church was built in 1764 on the foundations of a former Gothic building. The interior furniture, as the pews and the gallery, originates from different Baroque times and are ornamented with rural floral paintings.
Place and surroundings
The legend says that before their wedding the men of Cisnădioara had to roll a big rock up to the fortified church. This was not an easy task for them because the church lies on a high hill above the village. The stones collected in this manner were further used in case of a siege and rolled down the hill to crush the enemies. Part of this tradition is still practiced today. Many young men still push huge rocks up the hill on their wedding day in order to ransom their brides, who have been kidnapped during the wedding party, which is another old tradition.
Inside the fortification above the village one can find one of the oldest churches in the country, built between 1200 and 1250. Two stairways lead from the church nave through the mighty exterior walls into the remains of the never completed towers.
Cisnădioara was one of the few villages in Transylvania, which had been inhabited almost exclusively by Saxons until after 1989.
Tourism
The guest house “Elimheim”:
This guest house is an ideal address for vacations or seminars in the proximity of Sibiu – 38 beds in double rooms with en suite bathrooms in the historic main building, 4 rooms with en suite bathrooms in the new building, and 3 rooms in the garden house – great for youth groups and families.
Contact http://www.evang.ro/einrichtungen-werke/kirchliche-einrichtungen/elimheim-michelsberg/ for more information and reservation
Additionally Cisnadioara offers many accommodation possibilities in hotels, motels and a very recommendable camp ground: www.ananas7b.de
Events
Musical Summers in Cisnadioara
These events are part of the cultural summer program in the surrounding areas of Sibiu. From the end of June to the end of August the parish in Cisnadioara host an ensemble concert which takes place at 5 p.m. every Sunday. What began as a small concert series in 2007 in the baroque village church has become a real magnet for audiences. In the first year it was not easy to find renowned artists, yet shortly after the success of the event became known, it has become a top address in southern Transylvania for musicians from all over Europe – it is an honor to participate in the Musical Summers. After the concert the members of the evangelic congregation in Cisnadioara invite all visitors to enjoy a cup of coffee and some traditional baked goods in the garden of the parish house.
Keys for the church are with:
Mrs. Marion Henning
phone: +40/727/111 575
Keys for the castle are with:
Ms. Carmen Schaessburger
phone: +40/726/877 782
Hotel:
The Elimheim is currently hosting Ukraine refugees and is not available for guests.
House Nr.61, Cisnădioara 555301, Romania
After the old church was destroyed, a new construction was erected between 1521 and 1524 and finds itself in a well-preserved state today, as well as the polygonal ring wall strengthened by towers in each corner. The southern tower was replaced in 1819 with today’s bell tower. The aisle-less church with polygonal chancel was provided with defence level and machicolation between the buttresses from this construction phase.
The parapets of the 18th century three-side gallery inside the church are decorated with floral motives and paintings illustrating different fortified churches. The organ above the altar was installed in 1832 on the substructure of the original 1716 altar. One of the oldest inscriptions from Transylvania can be found behind this altar: 1524 is the year when the construction works of the church were completed.
Place and Surroundings
The small settlement Cloaşterf in eastern Transylvania gave birth to many legends. Near the village are the ruins of a castle known locally as “Monkey Castle”. One says that a valuable treasure was once hidden behind an invisible iron door on the castle hill. From time to time this door appears out of nowhere. But it can only be opened with Mandrake, a magic plant.
In fact, once the remains of an urn and a golden coin with a Greek inscription of Alexander the Great were found here. The real treasure however remains undiscovered to this day.
According to another local myth the girl who finds the first vine with two small leaves on its tip will be lead to the man of her dreams by this branch. The girl should break the branch and put in on her hat. The first young man she meets on the way home from the vineyard she may kiss, as he will be her future spouse.
Activities
EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelical Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 140,000 EUR
Time frame: 2010-2014
The keys are with Family Chercheş
phone: +40/265/711 674 or +40/744/271 907
address: Cloaşterf, nr. 99
Cloașterf 547511, Rumänien
Codlea / Zeiden
The bell tower dominates the fortified church in Codlea. Its walls reach a thickness of 5m after having undergone several construction phases. The church was built during the 13th century and was transformed into a Gothic single-nave church two centuries later. The first Ottoman invasion convinced the villagers of the necessity of a good defensive system. Thus an 8m high and 2m thick defence wall equipped with embrasure and machicolation surrounded the church. Granaries were also constructed in its interior, and so not only the lives of the residents were protected, but also their goods.
The interior of the church is dominated by the painted panelled ceiling, which was constructed at the beginning of the 18th century and consists of 252 panels. Also impressive is the 1783 organ, one of the most valuable instruments in Transylvania built by the craftsman Prause of Silenzia and decorated by the artist Oelhan.
Place and surroundings
From the newly refurbished square in Codlea one can admire the fortified church and picture its centuries-old history. One can try to imagine how this picturesque appearance might look 400 years ago, when Prince Gabriel Báthory besieged the castle. He promised at that time to spare the lives of the inhabitants and the warriors who came for helping from Braşov, if they would voluntarily surrender. However he never kept his promise. The defenders of the fortification were killed and the castle was occupied.
But soon the situation changed one more time due to an inhabitant of Codlea, named Thomas Göbel. First he tried to exit the gates with two wine pots. He was stopped and the wine was confiscated. Apparently angry he went away, but appeared shortly thereafter with other two full cans. Under laughter the wine was again confiscated. What Báthory’s soldiers did not knew, was that the wine contained sleeping powder. Therefore it was possible for the people of Codlea to reclaim fast their fortification. Göbel has been named a hero and as reward he was freed for his lifetime of paying taxes.
Keys are at:
the Parish Office Codlea
phone: +40/268/251 853
address: Codlea, str. Lungă nr. 110
e-mail: zeiden@evang.ro
or with Mrs. Hedda Bardon
phone: +40/747/169 859
address: Codlea, str. Măgurii Nr. 52
Strada Lungă, Codlea 505100, Romania
On the eastern hill above the village an early Gothic basilica with tower was first erected. Around 1510 the church was fortified, thus the old chancel was demolished and replaced by a high chancel with polygonal closure strengthened by a defence level built in stone. Due to its height of almost 11 meters and its defence systems the chancel protected the ensemble against the slope. A wooden defence level was built on the tower. The chancel still preserves its stellar vault and the fine tracery on the windows originating from the construction time of the church, but the nave was rebuilt in 1795 in Baroque style. On the northern side of the chancel stands the two-leveled sacristy dated 1519. On its second level a chapel was set up. Especially valuable are the Renaissance portal of the sacristy and the Neoclassical altar.
Place and surroundings
The place was most probably established end of the 13th Century. Already at the beginning of the 14th Century the settlers have erected a stone church, whose foundations are still preserved nowadays, despite numerous renovations and enlargements. But the houses in the village were originally built with less durable materials. The wood from the surrounding forests was in the early days the most important building material. Cracks between the logs were clogged with moss and clay, while the roofs were covered with straw resulting after the wheat harvest. The windows were closed with extensive animal bladders, allowing only a faint light to pass, which could barely spread the darkness of the rooms.
Starting with the 18-19th Century it became common to build houses out of bricks. During that time the typical Transylvanian farms were erected and they still guard aligned the paths of the village.
Activities
In 2011, the former Coordination Office for Fortified Churches, in cooperation with the district consistory Mediaș, carried out emergency repairs on the roof of the church, which were mainly financed by donations from the hometown community of Saxons.
Since August 2016 Sabine Reither has been committed to the church. In cooperation with the Fortified Churches Foundation and the district consitory Mediaș, she is working on organisation of repairs to the building. In 2020 she founded the German association Pro Groß Kopisch e.V. in order to better coordinate futurte projects and administer donations for the fortified church.
In 2018 the roof of the nave was climbed and moved. In the process, 10,000 old bricks were exchanged for traditionally manufactured plain tiles. Only the 300 ridge tiles needed had to be purchased. 54m beams and 3.700m roof battens were renewed. The junction between the bell tower and the nave was particularly difficult, as it was here that the greatest damage existed. All rain gutters, downpipes and gutters were replaced or newly installed. The sum of 15.500 Euro needed for the repair could be paid from donations. Further work is planned for 2019.
The keys are with:
Mr Sebastian Ghiuri
phone: +40/733/262 089
Copșa Mare 557046, Romania
Cristian / Großau
The second largest community from the Sibiu Chair (former administrative unit) brought important changes to the initial Romanesque church: in the 14th century a polygonal chancel flanked by two side chapels was added and the master-builder Andreas Lapicida coordinated the rising of the side aisles and the substitution of the central nave’s arcades by piers. A late Gothic vault was unfurled over the central nave. The Romanesque western tower was heightened through the annexation of a defence floor, which was later on replaced by the present tower roof. The double defense wall encloses a small outer ward, which was completed on the northern side with a forecourt around 1550. The impressive inner furnishing dates back to the 18th century and is dominated by the richly decorated Baroque altar from 1729. Cristian is one of the first three villages to be repopulated starting with 1756, after the plague had decimated the residents, through the colonization of protestants – Landlers – forcefully sent in from the Catholic Vienna.
Place and surroundings
Cristian developed mid-12th Century not only as one of the first Saxon settlements in Transylvania, but it was also established in the same time as many historical towns in middle England. The place flourished beautifully in Sibiu’s vicinity and became soon one of the largest communities in the region.
A harsh event is said to have occurred here mid- 17th Century: a large ottoman army marching from Sibiu towards Alba Iulia was persuaded by a local noble to spare the fortified church in Cristian. However, when a villager under Bacchus influence suddenly started shooting at the passing troops, these attacked back. Nevertheless, the army could not occupy the church tower defended by the villagers, so wood and straw have been brought and the building was torched. The people choked to death and the entire village was burned to ashes.
Even today Cristian and its fortified church are besieged every year by air raids: a great number of stork pairs have built their nests here and nurse around 80 chicks each year.
Tourism
The parish house inside the fortified object offers accommodation in a unique ambience. Appointments: with Maria Mărășescu, tel: +40/269/146 061 or through the Parish Office Turnișor +40/269/228 865, gemeindebuero@kirche.neppendorf.de).
Keys are with:
Maria Mărășescu
phone: +40/751/146 061
Gasthaus:
in the fortification and the parish house
7 rooms with 27 beds
kitchen, bathrooms, parking in the yard, also for campers
The parish barn is suitable for weddings, family and class reunions (up to 250 people)
Information and Booking: Maria Marasescu
phone: (0040-269) 579350
or (0040-751) 146061
Neppendorf Parish Office
phone: (0040-269) 228865
e-mail: gemeindeneppendorf@gmail.com
Pension Kaspar
adress: XI Gasse, No. 20
4 single rooms, 7 double rooms, 2 apartements of 2 rooms each
all rooms with private bathroom, common breakfast room, parking in the yard
Information and Booking: Kaspar
phone: (0049-7131) 380239
Cristian / Neustadt bei Kronstadt
The bell tower is the only remainder of the former Gothic basilica, which was entirely demolished in 1839 and replaced by today’s neoclassical hall church. A pointed spire and four corner turrets were built on the tower in 1803. Its portal and the rose window originate from an earlier construction phase. Pairs of pillars that support the domical vaults segment the church’s interior. The altar and the pulpit were built at the same time as the church. The assembly is still surrounded by a double defence wall, which was constructed, enlarged and endowed with nine defence towers across more than three centuries. Only eight towers still stand today. Another remarkable building in Cristan is the neoclassical parish house opposite to the church, as well as the community center from 1926/1927 featuring a curve roof, called „Zollinger roof“ after the name of its inventor.
Place and surroundings
The church in Cristian with its double ring wall and the eight well preserved defence towers represents one of the most impressive examples of medieval military architecture. The village was founded in the 13th Century, after the German Order of Knights has built several fortresses in the region and has recruited German settlers. The legend says that the son of an influential Graf, a count living in the area of Cristian, was disowned and disinherited by his father because he loved the undesirable woman. His softhearted mother gave him as compensation the downstream mill on river Ghimbav and the surrounding land. The son and his beloved one settled there and started a family. Over time more and more families preferred to move away from the hardhearted Graf and settled close to the mill, founding the so-called “New town” (the German name of the place, Neustadt).The place lies at the foot of Postăvaru, a mountain that together with Poiana Braşov is nowadays one of the most famous winter sport resorts in Romania.
Keys are with:
the Homorozan family
phone: +40/744/681 074
Please call in advance.
DJ112B, Cristian 507055, Romania
Criţ / Deutsch-Kreuz
The neo-classical hall church with chancel and western bell tower was built between 1810 and 1813, after the collapse of the initial construction, first mentioned in documents from 1270. But there is no information concerning the aspect of this former church. It is, though, supposed to have been represented in a drawing on one of the church’s pews, dated 1793. The interior hosts the altar with organ gallery, the pulpit and the font, which were made partially at the same time with the construction itself, but also in 1822.
Only the ring wall and four defensive towers are still preserved from the 15th century fortification system, while the fifth tower collapsed in 1925 and was never rebuilt. On the southern side, next to the former kennel, only the ruins of the old Saxon school still exist today.
Place and surroundings
The fortified church in the village of Criţ, where more than 400 years ago the first village school law in Transylvania was enacted, lies on a hill in the middle of the place. In the past this location demanded a castle guardian who was a cobbler or at least a skilled craftsman. The steep ascent to the church is arduous and paved with round cobblestones. Many women, on their way to Sunday service, broke their footwear, which were heeled with horseshoes. A cobbler was therefore needed for urgent repairs before entering the church.
The church and the mostly preserved historic village are surrounded by an idyllic hilly landscape, ideal for walks to neighboring villages and fortifications. Tourist accommodation is available in several lovely restored farmhouses.
Activities
EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: General Consistory of the Evangelical Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 270,000 EUR
Time frame: 2010-2014
Keys are with:
Mr. Dietmar Depner
phone: +40/740/597 493
In Summer open daily
Groups are kindly asked to make an appointment with Mr. Depner.
Hotel:
Meeting Center "Casa Kraus"
Adresse: House No. 25
10 double rooms
Restaurant, conference center for groups up to 50 persons
bike tours, horseback riding, hiking, truffle hunting, city tours, fortified churches, castles, etc. German-speaking support on site
Information and Booking: online
e-mail: rezervari@casa-kraus.ro
phone: (0040-743) 255553
Internet: www.casa-kraus.ro
Casa Schmidt
Adress: House No. 113
9 double rooms in 2 buildings
large courtyard
Information and Booking: as above
Guesthouse
Adress: House No. 217
1 double room, 1 singleroom
bathroom, kitchen, terrace, backery and spacious courtyard
Information and Booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust
phone: (0040-724) 000350
e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro
Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Criț 507036, Romania
Curciu / Kirtsch
The church in Curciu has remained almost unchanged since its construction in the beginning of the 15th century. The remarkable value of the three-aisle basilica with polygonal chancel lies in its outstanding stone masonry. In the chancel the well preserved mullioned windows with tracery can be admired as well as the typical Gothic windows in the tower. The sculptures ornamenting the portals, tower, windows, buttresses, as well as the capitals, keystones, sedilia and the door of the sacristy date back to around 1427. At the beginning of the 19th century the side aisles were heightened, thus obtaining a cross section of a hall church. At the same time both the main nave and the side aisles were covered with a flat, stuccoed ceiling. The tower’s defence level was demolished and replaced in 1913 by the present one, with zinc sheet covered spire. Today, the ring wall with the gate tower, initially used as entrance, as well as a Gothic chapel integrated in this wall, still stand as part of the fortified ensemble. The chapel inside the fortification has an ossuary, a room in which the bones of the deceased were kept in the past.
The church of Curciu contains many beautiful architectural sculptures from the 15th Century, typical for the Mediaş region The richly decorated western façade shows a bird, a mask and a monster with a human head between the paws.
Place and surroundings
Curciu is a special treasure among the Transylvanian villages. This romantic place is situated in the wine-growing region, northeast of Mediaş, between hills and forests. The place owes its lush green vegetation to the location between the two rivers Târnava Mare and Târnava Mică and has been nicknamed “Mesopotamia”.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Dana Crișan
Tel: +40/269/257 361 or +40/742/077 290
Curciu, Romania
Dacia / Stein
Already in the 13th century, a towerless three-nave Romanesque pillar basilica stood in stone. In the 15th century, this church was surrounded by a six to eight meter high defensive wall in the shape of an irregular quadrilateral. It can be assumed that another defensive wall once stood between this wall and the church. When the church was converted into a fortified church around 1500, the side aisles were removed and the arcade arches of the central nave and the upper aisles were bricked up. In addition, the choir and the nave were given a battlement and a defense floor. A few years later, a barrel vault with lunette caps was built over the nave, on which the date 1517 can be read. In 1845 the inhabitants of Dacia extended the church to the west and removed the battlement and the arches between the buttresses. Once there were towers in the four corners of the curtain wall, but in more recent times it was decided to remove the southwest tower to make room for the construction of a hall and the school. A fifth tower, the bell tower, collapsed during the 1738 earthquake, but was rebuilt in 1763. While digging for the foundations of the bell tower, an inscription stone and the remains of a Roman road were found.
Keys are with:
Mr. Michael Konnerth
phone: +40/740/491 797
DJ105A, Dacia 507111, Romania
Daia / Denndorf
The completion of the first hall church in Daia occurred in 1447 according to its mentioning on the keystone in the chancel. The church had no tower at the time, which was only added in the western part during the fortification works in the beginning of the 16th century. Later it was dismantled until it reached the height of the nave. In the same fortification phase, a defense level was built above the chancel and the church was surrounded by a ring wall, strengthened by two fortified buildings. The western one is nowadays a ruin, but the eastern one still preserves a good image of the typical storage construction equipped with defensive systems.
In the 19th Century the defensive systems of the ensemble were dismantled step by step, but outside the fortification an impressive freestanding neo-classical campanile, considered to be one of the highest in the country was built between 1829 and 1834. The hall of the church was covered with a flat ceiling in 1884, but the chancel still preserves its late Gothic ripped vault. After the ensemble was closed for regular church service, only the galleries and the pews remained inside.
Place and surroundings
Only an unpaved gravel road that runs parallel for several kilometers with the river of Şaeş leads to Daia. The route passes through wide meadows, where shepherds and their typical chalets can be seen. Visible from far away is the bell tower, landmark of the village that was mentioned for the first time end of 13th Century. Historical documents from the 14th Century suggest that also another place called Daia Mică (small Daia) existed in the area. The development of Daia was typical Transylvanian. At the beginning of the 16th Century one counted 72 villagers, a mill and a school. In 1605 the inhabitants found protection in the fortified church from the attacks of the Székelys troops passing by. Later on, at the beginning of the 18th Century, the plague caused more than 200 victims.
Today the remote location of the village, away from main streets and heavy traffic preserves the special charm of the place. Even the village of Saschiz that is located 10km away east from Daia and it was formerly in close contact with it can be reached only by foot, following the anfractuous paths through the meadows.
Activities
The fortified church of Daia and its bell tower were threatened to deteriorate until the Saxon Uwe Hann arrived in 2013 and decided to become active. He founded the Romanian association “Asociatia Sapte Brazi” which together with the older German Association “Bona Fide International e.V.” contractually took over the historic buildings from the Distric Consistory. They have the objective of protection this unique architectural ensemble, to make it accessible again and to use it for cultural purposes.
Until now a few repairs on the roof and the floor of the bell tower were made and the restoration of the tower clock was financed.
The Fortified Churches Foundation would like to support this initiative: we are consulting in questions of monument preservation, help bring interested people to the remote village and are always informing about the current situation. A short expertise has been made and we are positive about moving forward with the situation in Daia.
Fortunately we were able to include the fortified church of Daia in a 2-year restoration project funded by the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP), supporting the preservation of cultural sites and historic monuments. The implementation of the project began in 2017.
Roof Maintenance Program
Responsible: The Coordination Office for Fortified Churches
Costs: 1.200 Euro
Time frame: autumn 2007
Description: Re-roofing the Southern nave of the church, tile additions to all the roof surfaces, including the neighboring bell-tower.
Our partners
Asociatia Sapte Brazi and Bona Fide International e.V.
Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation
Keys are with:
Mr. Uwe Hann
former parish house
phone: +40/722/551746
e-mail: office@bona-fide-ev.de
Daia, Romania
Daia (SB) / Thalheim
In the 13th century, a three-nave Romanesque towerless basilica was built in Daia. The enclosure wall, the round-arched arcades and the walled up west portal have been preserved. Around 1500, the choir received its polygonal end and a groined vault with lunettes. The simple sacrament niche, the side aisles and the buttresses of the choir also date from this period. The Baroque altar is dated 1797, the central picture shows the Crucified with Mary and John. The mechanical organ was built around 1800 by Johannes Hahn junior. The church is surrounded by a simple circular wall with an oval floor plan.
Keys are with:
Mr. Johann Hopprich
phone: +40/269/584 325
DJ106S, Daia, Romania
Daneş / Dunesdorf
The small tower-less late Gothic church in Daneş was built in 1506. The tower was much later erected in 1927, as well as its defence levels, probably as a sign of self-assertion towards the 1918 new Romanian state and as a symbol for the 800 years of Saxon history in Transylvania. From the original defence wall only a few remains on the south side and a gate tower with a small watchtower are still preserved. The inner furniture dates back to different time periods: the baptismal font and the pulpit are Baroque, the altar is from 1878 and the organ from 1920. The vault covering the church’s hall was built in 1868.
Place and surroundings
The village of Daneş, located few miles west from Sighişoara was documented for the first time mid-14th Century. The reports from the following years describe many difficulties and misery. Due to the great poverty of the place, between 1503 and 1507 a tax rebate was documented. Around 1507 the village burned down completely. Less than 50 years later, the unfortunate happening occurred again in 1555. At the beginning of the 17th Century the place got broke as result of civil wars and the number of the local farmers fell in just 15 years from 90 to 7. Because of the slow development of the village, tax exemption and other benefits were offered starting with 1656 to any colonist willing to settle here, but the success was only moderate. In 1658 the Ottoman troops attacked and destroyed the village once more. Only from 1665 colonists coming from Sighişoara were able to revive the place. Despite all the problems, the fortified church wrote its own history, as regular worship services are still regularly held today, as it has always been starting with the 16th Century.
Parish Office Daneș
phone: +40/265/773 804
Martin Türk-König
Daneș 547200, Romania
Durles / Dârlos
Die kleine turmlose Saalkirche aus dem 15. Jh. ist nahezu unverändert erhalten geblieben. Um 1500 wurde der Chor erneuert und die Decke über dem Saal stammt aus einer Umbauphase im 19. Jh. Von der einstigen Ringmauer sind keine Reste erhalten geblieben. Ihre Bedeutung erlangt die Kirche durch Baudetails und die Ausmalung: An dem dreifach gestaffelten Trichterportal in der Westfassade mit dem fein gearbeiteten Kämpfer sind noch Reste der Bemalung zu erkennen. In Stein gehauen finden sich im Chor an den Konsolen der Rippen figürliche Darstellungen. Maßwerke, Sakristeiportal, Sakramentsnische und Sedilien sind ebenso kunstvoll verziert. Im Chor werden zurzeit großflächige Malereien freigelegt, die neben einer Vorhangdekoration noch nicht näher bestimmte biblische Szenen zeigen. Auf den Außenwänden des Chores hat sich mit den Fragmenten von Fresken ein einmaliges Zeugnis erhalten. Die Darstellungen aus der Passion Christi ähneln den Malereien an moldauischen Klöstern aus der ersten Hälfte des 16. Jh.
Ort und Umgebung
Von besonderer Bedeutung ist der Name des Dorfes Durles. Es wird angenommen, dass Durles „Sehnsuchtsland“ bedeutet. Der Ortsname lässt sich aber auch aus dem sächsischen “duer los” ableiten, was mit “lass sie dort leben” übersetzt werden kann. Für beide Varianten gibt es eine gemeinsame geschichtliche Parallele: In der Dorfmonografie wird über den rumänischen Adligen Simion berichtet, der Durles im 14. Jh. mit solch fürsorglicher Hand regiert haben soll, dass viele Leibeigene aus der Umgebung hierher zogen. Demnach verschmelzen im Ortsnamen die zwei Herleitungen “Land, nach dem man sich sehnt” und “lass sie dort leben”.Das Kirchenbauwerk vereint Elemente verschiedener geschichtlicher Epochen: Die Kirche stammt zwar aus dem 15. Jh., sie enthält aber Spolien aus der Zeit des Römischen Reiches (ca. 2. Jh. n. Chr.). Bemerkenswert ist ein Relief an einem Strebepfeifer, das einen Büffelkopf mit Schlangenkörper darstellt. Man vermutet, dass dieser Pfeiler einst als Teil eines unterirdischen Tempels dem Gott Mithras gewidmet war. Der Mithraskult war eine Mysterienreligion nicht christlicher Römer.
Keys are with:
Mr. Alexandru Gabra
phone: +40/756/551 324
Dârlos, nr. 269, in churchyard on the right side, Romania
Dealu Frumos / Schönberg
The Romanesque three-aisles basilica originated from the 13th century and was re-shaped through fortification systems in 1500. On the original tower-less church a strong dungeon with defence level was built on the western side and the square chancel was strengthened with walls in such a manner, that it was possible to build another defensive tower there. At the same time, the side aisles were heightened and the building became a hall church. The central nave and the aisles were covered with fine lierne ribbed vaults. In the course of this work the rectangular precincts wall with four corner towers were also built, possibly as a replacement for an older system. The fortified buildings erected in the 16th and 17th century were used in part as accommodation. The ensemble was completed in 1914 by the construction of the community hall on the southern side. The pre-reformation crucifix above the triumphal arch was created in 1425.
Place and surroundings
Over the wooded hills on the edge of the valley of the river Hârtibaciu one will reach the village Dealu Frumos. The well preserved and typical for Transylvania fortified church with its white walls and red tiled tower roofs can be seen from far away.
The assembly was built in the center of the village to be easily accessible for all inhabitants in case of attacks. If time allowed, the cattle were driven behind the walls too, so it would not fall into the hands of the enemy. Groceries, cereals and bacon were stored within the massive walls. In the first half of the 16th Century the courtyard had to be enlarged due to the increase of the population. 100 years later another part of the wall was moved outwards to make space for more storage rooms. The whole community carried out the dismantling and rebuilding works, while the ongoing maintenance of individual sections was assigned to the various guilds in the village.
Keys are with:
Mr. Martin Maurer
phone: +40/749/519 312
Dealu Frumos, Romania
Dedrad / Deutsch-Zepling
The old church of Dedrad was demolished in 1873, but had already been closed before because of the danger of collapse. Michael Seyfried designed the hall church with bell tower and sacristy, built between 1876 and 1884. Its construction had to be interrupted in the meantime due to lack of money. The master builder was Johann Müller from Reghin. The church is illuminated by four large windows on the north and south walls. Under the windows are galleries, the organ gallery in the west is on two wooden pillars. A pointed triumphal arch separates the choir from the nave. Bishop Georg Daniel Teutsch consecrated the church in 1884. The neo-Gothic altar with rich decoration shows Jesus walking on the sea in the central picture. The organ made by the Wegenstein company in 1928 was destroyed during the Second World War.
Village
It is estimated that a total of 43,000 church bells were confiscated in the German Reich and Austria-Hungary during World War I to meet the enormous demand for non-ferrous metals for shells and ammunition. Like many Saxon parishes, Dedrad lost two of its three bells in this way. In 1923, the municipal council decided to purchase two new bells to restore the triad. The company Schilling & Lattermann from Apolda in Thuringia was commissioned. On July 20, 1924, the people of Dedrad were able to ceremoniously receive their two new bells, one weighing 400 kg, the other 1,600 kg, at the Reghin train station. The ecclesiastical bulletins record: “Dedrad, the largest, the best disciplined and most efficient, but also the most Saxon of the congregations in the Reghin church district, is also the first to hear again the solemnly raising, for years silenced bell triad, also a result of their efficiency. For to raise 200,000 lei in such a short time, in addition to the known other burdens, as in Dedrad, that is an achievement and a good proof of the spirit that prevails there…”
Keys are with:
Mr. Johann Göttfert
phone: +40/743/304 704
House Nr. 205, Dedrad 547086, Romania
Drăuşeni / Draas
The Romanesque basilica with buttresses, western tower and chancel with apse was finished in the mid-13th century, thus replacing the former 12th century church. In the fortification phase of 1494 defence levels were built on the tower, nave and chancel. The chancel’s walls were strengthened and heightened up to the nave’s eaves and the side aisles were demolished. In the same period an 8m high defence wall with 5 bastions was erected and it is still preserved today. The Romanesque western portal is decorated with some of the most valuable stone carvings in Transylvania. From the Romanesque construction time the twin blind-arcades, today functioning as windows, are still preserved as well as the walled up round clerestory windows. Ample restoration works have been carried out for several years now and have revealed frescoes on large areas. The valuable 1638 furniture was initially stored away because of the restoration works, but was later moved to a different church for safety reasons.
Place and surroundings
Centuries ago, inside the stone walls of the fortified church that bear the grey marks of passing time, one of the most important legends of Transylvania was born. This legend tells how the first Transylvanian Saxon settlers vowed eternal loyalty to the king, thrusting their swords into the sacred land and thus forming the sign of the cross. Back then they foretold that, as long as the two swords exists on Earth, their people would defend these territories. Yet, their people’s disappearance from Transylvania was predicted to happen along with the disappearance of the weapons. The swords were then sent to the most distant places of the kingdom, one of them reaching Orăştie, the other one going to Drăuşeni. Kept in the Evangelic church and honored throughout times as a symbol of courage and loyalty of the German people, but also as a testimony of their craftsmanship in creating weapons, the sword in Drăuşeni got finally lost in 1944 in the uproar of the war. Despite their disappearance in the darkness of battles, the two swords remained to this day on the coat of arms of the city of Sibiu: the precious symbol of an inestimable past.
Keys are with:
Frau Ella Kosa
phone: +40/724/456 899
House Nr. 87, DJ132B, Drăușeni 507042, Romania
Dupuș / Tobsdorf
The construction of the small hall church in Dupuș was probably finished in 1524 – at least this date is written on the west wall behind the organ. The church is dedicated to the patron Saint of the village, Saint Tobias. Above the hall and choir rises the battlement floor, covered by a solid hipped roof. A painted cornice can be seen at the base of the battlement floor. Access is via a stair tower with a spiral staircase in the northwest corner of the church. After a fundamental renovation in 1741, further repair work followed in 1904/05 and in 1969 difficult consolidation work on the vault of the church was carried out. Originally, the church was surrounded by an approximately seven-meter high defensive wall, which the parishioners of Dupuș, however, partially removed in 1901 in order to build a new school. The remaining enclosure wall was thoroughly renovated in 1957. The bell tower, which collapsed in 1725, was replaced in 1902 by a smaller tower, which carries three pre-Reformatory bells. The middle bell from 1491 has medallions with depictions of dragons and griffins. The pre-Reformation winged altar is dated 1522. The Baroque side parts are from the early 18th century.
Keys are with:
Mr. Taropa Dan
phone: +40/726/178 955
Dupuș 557022, Romania