Fortified Church
Today the church still exhibits the basic characteristics of the three-aisle Romanesque basilica that originally had a six-level western tower. The ensemble was surrounded by a ring wall, which was fortified starting in 1430, when the Ottoman attacks occurred. A second fortification wall was built, as well as several defence towers and a moat. The church itself was also strengthened: defence towers were built above the chancel and its apse and above the two side entrances. The western Romanesque portal is ornamented with typical interlace. The spire roof with corner towers was built as early as 1591. Especially valuable are the altars from other village churches, which are displayed inside. These were brought to Cisnădie for safety reasons.
Place and surroundings
The legend of the fortified church of Cisnădie tells us that a great treasure was once hidden inside. After numerous Ottoman attacks in the 15th Century the village community built a secret chamber within the castle walls. Access was secured with a massive oak door, which could only be opened by pressing a hidden spring. From the outside, the entrance was camouflaged so well that only few insiders could find it. Not even the priests knew about it. Over the centuries, the knowledge of this hidden entrance got lost. At the beginning of the 20th Century it was rediscovered and can be visited today.In addition, not secretly hidden, but visible from far away visitors can spot the first clock tower in Transylvania, which is operated since 1425, and the first lightning rod in Transylvania dating back to 1795.The bell ringer of Cisnădie provides expert guided tours of the fortification and the church affiliated museum and has many more stories and legends to share.
Church Services and Events
In the church of Cisnădie there is a church service every Sunday at 10 o’clock. During the summer months all visitors are invited to a carefree get-together after the service where coffee and cake are usually served. Furthermore there are many events to celebrate the Christian holidays within the walls of the fortification. They are all organized by the very active congregation of Cisnădie. Further information can be obtained on the website of the Parish.
Contact:
The keys are at the Parish Office Cisnădie,
phone: +40/269/564597,
address: Cisnădie, str. Cetăţii, nr. 1,
Internet: www.ekh.ro.
Opening times:
Monday - Saturday 10:00-13:00h and 14:00-18:00h,
Sunday 11:00-13:00h and 14:00-18:00h,
and on demand.
Accomodation:
Guest rooms in the parish house: 12 beds,
contact: Parish Office Cisnădie,
phone: +40/269/564597,
Internet: www.ekh.ro.
Guest rooms in the rest home Elimheim Cisnădioara: 20 beds in 10 rooms,
contact person: Mrs. Marianne Banciu,
phone: +40/729/109586,
address: Cisnădioara, nr. 281,
e-mail: elimheim@yahoo.com.
Heltau 555300, Rumänien
Cisnădioara / Michelsberg
The church on the hill, today part of the communal property, is one of the few unchanged testimonies of the Romanesque construction time in Transylvania. The small three-aisles basilica was probably built before 1223. The western funnel-shaped portal exhibits particularly beautiful stone masonry. The interior, which nowadays only contains a memorial dedicated to the soldiers fallen in the WWI, impresses by its contemplative style. From the former defence ensemble only rests of the ring wall and its towers are still preserved.
Equally remarkable is the village parish church, whose fortification system did not last until today, except for the western tower and its defence level. The single-nave Baroque church was built in 1764 on the foundations of a former Gothic building. The interior furniture, as the pews and the gallery, originates from different Baroque times and are ornamented with rural floral paintings.
Place and surroundings
The legend says that before their wedding the men of Cisnădioara had to roll a big rock up to the fortified church. This was not an easy task for them because the church lies on a high hill above the village. The stones collected in this manner were further used in case of a siege and rolled down the hill to crush the enemies. Part of this tradition is still practiced today. Many young men still push huge rocks up the hill on their wedding day in order to ransom their brides, who have been kidnapped during the wedding party, which is another old tradition.
Inside the fortification above the village one can find one of the oldest churches in the country, built between 1200 and 1250. Two stairways lead from the church nave through the mighty exterior walls into the remains of the never completed towers.
Cisnădioara was one of the few villages in Transylvania, which had been inhabited almost exclusively by Saxons until after 1989.
Tourism
The guest house “Elimheim”:
This guest house is an ideal address for vacations or seminars in the proximity of Sibiu – 38 beds in double rooms with en suite bathrooms in the historic main building, 4 rooms with en suite bathrooms in the new building, and 3 rooms in the garden house – great for youth groups and families.
Contact http://www.evang.ro/einrichtungen-werke/kirchliche-einrichtungen/elimheim-michelsberg/ for more information and reservation
Additionally Cisnadioara offers many accommodation possibilities in hotels, motels and a very recommendable camp ground: www.ananas7b.de
Events
Musical Summers in Cisnadioara
These events are part of the cultural summer program in the surrounding areas of Sibiu. From the end of June to the end of August the parish in Cisnadioara host an ensemble concert which takes place at 5 p.m. every Sunday. What began as a small concert series in 2007 in the baroque village church has become a real magnet for audiences. In the first year it was not easy to find renowned artists, yet shortly after the success of the event became known, it has become a top address in southern Transylvania for musicians from all over Europe – it is an honor to participate in the Musical Summers. After the concert the members of the evangelic congregation in Cisnadioara invite all visitors to enjoy a cup of coffee and some traditional baked goods in the garden of the parish house.
Keys for the church are with:
Mrs. Marion Henning
phone: +40/727/111 575
Keys for the castle are with:
Ms. Carmen Schaessburger
phone: +40/726/877 782
Hotel:
The Elimheim is currently hosting Ukraine refugees and is not available for guests.
House Nr.61, Cisnădioara 555301, Romania
After the old church was destroyed, a new construction was erected between 1521 and 1524 and finds itself in a well-preserved state today, as well as the polygonal ring wall strengthened by towers in each corner. The southern tower was replaced in 1819 with today’s bell tower. The aisle-less church with polygonal chancel was provided with defence level and machicolation between the buttresses from this construction phase.
The parapets of the 18th century three-side gallery inside the church are decorated with floral motives and paintings illustrating different fortified churches. The organ above the altar was installed in 1832 on the substructure of the original 1716 altar. One of the oldest inscriptions from Transylvania can be found behind this altar: 1524 is the year when the construction works of the church were completed.
Place and Surroundings
The small settlement Cloaşterf in eastern Transylvania gave birth to many legends. Near the village are the ruins of a castle known locally as “Monkey Castle”. One says that a valuable treasure was once hidden behind an invisible iron door on the castle hill. From time to time this door appears out of nowhere. But it can only be opened with Mandrake, a magic plant.
In fact, once the remains of an urn and a golden coin with a Greek inscription of Alexander the Great were found here. The real treasure however remains undiscovered to this day.
According to another local myth the girl who finds the first vine with two small leaves on its tip will be lead to the man of her dreams by this branch. The girl should break the branch and put in on her hat. The first young man she meets on the way home from the vineyard she may kiss, as he will be her future spouse.
Activities
EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: General Consistory of the Evanghelical Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 140,000 EUR
Time frame: 2010-2014
The keys are with Family Chercheş
phone: +40/265/711 674 or +40/744/271 907
address: Cloaşterf, nr. 99
Cloașterf 547511, Rumänien
Codlea / Zeiden
The bell tower dominates the fortified church in Codlea. Its walls reach a thickness of 5m after having undergone several construction phases. The church was built during the 13th century and was transformed into a Gothic single-nave church two centuries later. The first Ottoman invasion convinced the villagers of the necessity of a good defensive system. Thus an 8m high and 2m thick defence wall equipped with embrasure and machicolation surrounded the church. Granaries were also constructed in its interior, and so not only the lives of the residents were protected, but also their goods.
The interior of the church is dominated by the painted panelled ceiling, which was constructed at the beginning of the 18th century and consists of 252 panels. Also impressive is the 1783 organ, one of the most valuable instruments in Transylvania built by the craftsman Prause of Silenzia and decorated by the artist Oelhan.
Place and surroundings
From the newly refurbished square in Codlea one can admire the fortified church and picture its centuries-old history. One can try to imagine how this picturesque appearance might look 400 years ago, when Prince Gabriel Báthory besieged the castle. He promised at that time to spare the lives of the inhabitants and the warriors who came for helping from Braşov, if they would voluntarily surrender. However he never kept his promise. The defenders of the fortification were killed and the castle was occupied.
But soon the situation changed one more time due to an inhabitant of Codlea, named Thomas Göbel. First he tried to exit the gates with two wine pots. He was stopped and the wine was confiscated. Apparently angry he went away, but appeared shortly thereafter with other two full cans. Under laughter the wine was again confiscated. What Báthory’s soldiers did not knew, was that the wine contained sleeping powder. Therefore it was possible for the people of Codlea to reclaim fast their fortification. Göbel has been named a hero and as reward he was freed for his lifetime of paying taxes.
Keys are at:
the Parish Office Codlea
phone: +40/268/251 853
address: Codlea, str. Lungă nr. 110
e-mail: zeiden@evang.ro
or with Mrs. Hedda Bardon
phone: +40/747/169 859
address: Codlea, str. Măgurii Nr. 52
Strada Lungă, Codlea 505100, Romania
On the eastern hill above the village an early Gothic basilica with tower was first erected. Around 1510 the church was fortified, thus the old chancel was demolished and replaced by a high chancel with polygonal closure strengthened by a defence level built in stone. Due to its height of almost 11 meters and its defence systems the chancel protected the ensemble against the slope. A wooden defence level was built on the tower. The chancel still preserves its stellar vault and the fine tracery on the windows originating from the construction time of the church, but the nave was rebuilt in 1795 in Baroque style. On the northern side of the chancel stands the two-leveled sacristy dated 1519. On its second level a chapel was set up. Especially valuable are the Renaissance portal of the sacristy and the Neoclassical altar.
Place and surroundings
The place was most probably established end of the 13th Century. Already at the beginning of the 14th Century the settlers have erected a stone church, whose foundations are still preserved nowadays, despite numerous renovations and enlargements. But the houses in the village were originally built with less durable materials. The wood from the surrounding forests was in the early days the most important building material. Cracks between the logs were clogged with moss and clay, while the roofs were covered with straw resulting after the wheat harvest. The windows were closed with extensive animal bladders, allowing only a faint light to pass, which could barely spread the darkness of the rooms.
Starting with the 18-19th Century it became common to build houses out of bricks. During that time the typical Transylvanian farms were erected and they still guard aligned the paths of the village.
Activities
In 2011, the former Coordination Office for Fortified Churches, in cooperation with the district consistory Mediaș, carried out emergency repairs on the roof of the church, which were mainly financed by donations from the hometown community of Saxons.
Since August 2016 Sabine Reither has been committed to the church. In cooperation with the Fortified Churches Foundation and the district consitory Mediaș, she is working on organisation of repairs to the building. In 2020 she founded the German association Pro Groß Kopisch e.V. in order to better coordinate futurte projects and administer donations for the fortified church.
In 2018 the roof of the nave was climbed and moved. In the process, 10,000 old bricks were exchanged for traditionally manufactured plain tiles. Only the 300 ridge tiles needed had to be purchased. 54m beams and 3.700m roof battens were renewed. The junction between the bell tower and the nave was particularly difficult, as it was here that the greatest damage existed. All rain gutters, downpipes and gutters were replaced or newly installed. The sum of 15.500 Euro needed for the repair could be paid from donations. Further work is planned for 2019.
The keys are with:
Mr Sebastian Ghiuri
phone: +40/733/262 089
Copșa Mare 557046, Romania
Cristian / Großau
The second largest community from the Sibiu Chair (former administrative unit) brought important changes to the initial Romanesque church: in the 14th century a polygonal chancel flanked by two side chapels was added and the master-builder Andreas Lapicida coordinated the rising of the side aisles and the substitution of the central nave’s arcades by piers. A late Gothic vault was unfurled over the central nave. The Romanesque western tower was heightened through the annexation of a defence floor, which was later on replaced by the present tower roof. The double defense wall encloses a small outer ward, which was completed on the northern side with a forecourt around 1550. The impressive inner furnishing dates back to the 18th century and is dominated by the richly decorated Baroque altar from 1729. Cristian is one of the first three villages to be repopulated starting with 1756, after the plague had decimated the residents, through the colonization of protestants – Landlers – forcefully sent in from the Catholic Vienna.
Place and surroundings
Cristian developed mid-12th Century not only as one of the first Saxon settlements in Transylvania, but it was also established in the same time as many historical towns in middle England. The place flourished beautifully in Sibiu’s vicinity and became soon one of the largest communities in the region.
A harsh event is said to have occurred here mid- 17th Century: a large ottoman army marching from Sibiu towards Alba Iulia was persuaded by a local noble to spare the fortified church in Cristian. However, when a villager under Bacchus influence suddenly started shooting at the passing troops, these attacked back. Nevertheless, the army could not occupy the church tower defended by the villagers, so wood and straw have been brought and the building was torched. The people choked to death and the entire village was burned to ashes.
Even today Cristian and its fortified church are besieged every year by air raids: a great number of stork pairs have built their nests here and nurse around 80 chicks each year.
Tourism
The parish house inside the fortified object offers accommodation in a unique ambience. Appointments: with Maria Mărășescu, tel: +40/269/146 061 or through the Parish Office Turnișor +40/269/228 865, gemeindebuero@kirche.neppendorf.de).
Keys are with:
Maria Mărășescu
phone: +40/751/146 061
Gasthaus:
in the fortification and the parish house
7 rooms with 27 beds
kitchen, bathrooms, parking in the yard, also for campers
The parish barn is suitable for weddings, family and class reunions (up to 250 people)
Information and Booking: Maria Marasescu
phone: (0040-269) 579350
or (0040-751) 146061
Neppendorf Parish Office
phone: (0040-269) 228865
e-mail: gemeindeneppendorf@gmail.com
Pension Kaspar
adress: XI Gasse, No. 20
4 single rooms, 7 double rooms, 2 apartements of 2 rooms each
all rooms with private bathroom, common breakfast room, parking in the yard
Information and Booking: Kaspar
phone: (0049-7131) 380239
Cristian / Neustadt bei Kronstadt
The bell tower is the only remainder of the former Gothic basilica, which was entirely demolished in 1839 and replaced by today’s neoclassical hall church. A pointed spire and four corner turrets were built on the tower in 1803. Its portal and the rose window originate from an earlier construction phase. Pairs of pillars that support the domical vaults segment the church’s interior. The altar and the pulpit were built at the same time as the church. The assembly is still surrounded by a double defence wall, which was constructed, enlarged and endowed with nine defence towers across more than three centuries. Only eight towers still stand today. Another remarkable building in Cristan is the neoclassical parish house opposite to the church, as well as the community center from 1926/1927 featuring a curve roof, called „Zollinger roof“ after the name of its inventor.
Place and surroundings
The church in Cristian with its double ring wall and the eight well preserved defence towers represents one of the most impressive examples of medieval military architecture. The village was founded in the 13th Century, after the German Order of Knights has built several fortresses in the region and has recruited German settlers. The legend says that the son of an influential Graf, a count living in the area of Cristian, was disowned and disinherited by his father because he loved the undesirable woman. His softhearted mother gave him as compensation the downstream mill on river Ghimbav and the surrounding land. The son and his beloved one settled there and started a family. Over time more and more families preferred to move away from the hardhearted Graf and settled close to the mill, founding the so-called “New town” (the German name of the place, Neustadt).The place lies at the foot of Postăvaru, a mountain that together with Poiana Braşov is nowadays one of the most famous winter sport resorts in Romania.
Keys are with:
the Homorozan family
phone: +40/744/681 074
Please call in advance.
DJ112B, Cristian 507055, Romania
Criţ / Deutsch-Kreuz
The neo-classical hall church with chancel and western bell tower was built between 1810 and 1813, after the collapse of the initial construction, first mentioned in documents from 1270. But there is no information concerning the aspect of this former church. It is, though, supposed to have been represented in a drawing on one of the church’s pews, dated 1793. The interior hosts the altar with organ gallery, the pulpit and the font, which were made partially at the same time with the construction itself, but also in 1822.
Only the ring wall and four defensive towers are still preserved from the 15th century fortification system, while the fifth tower collapsed in 1925 and was never rebuilt. On the southern side, next to the former kennel, only the ruins of the old Saxon school still exist today.
Place and surroundings
The fortified church in the village of Criţ, where more than 400 years ago the first village school law in Transylvania was enacted, lies on a hill in the middle of the place. In the past this location demanded a castle guardian who was a cobbler or at least a skilled craftsman. The steep ascent to the church is arduous and paved with round cobblestones. Many women, on their way to Sunday service, broke their footwear, which were heeled with horseshoes. A cobbler was therefore needed for urgent repairs before entering the church.
The church and the mostly preserved historic village are surrounded by an idyllic hilly landscape, ideal for walks to neighboring villages and fortifications. Tourist accommodation is available in several lovely restored farmhouses.
Activities
EU-Project “18 Fortified Churches”
Responsible: General Consistory of the Evangelical Church A. C. in Romania
Costs: 270,000 EUR
Time frame: 2010-2014
Keys are with:
Mr. Dietmar Depner
phone: +40/740/597 493
In Summer open daily
Groups are kindly asked to make an appointment with Mr. Depner.
Hotel:
Meeting Center "Casa Kraus"
Adresse: House No. 25
10 double rooms
Restaurant, conference center for groups up to 50 persons
bike tours, horseback riding, hiking, truffle hunting, city tours, fortified churches, castles, etc. German-speaking support on site
Information and Booking: online
e-mail: rezervari@casa-kraus.ro
phone: (0040-743) 255553
Internet: www.casa-kraus.ro
Casa Schmidt
Adress: House No. 113
9 double rooms in 2 buildings
large courtyard
Information and Booking: as above
Guesthouse
Adress: House No. 217
1 double room, 1 singleroom
bathroom, kitchen, terrace, backery and spacious courtyard
Information and Booking: Mihai Eminescu Trust
phone: (0040-724) 000350
e-mail: booking@experiencetransylvania.ro
Internet: www.experiencetransylvania.ro
Criț 507036, Romania
Curciu / Kirtsch
The church in Curciu has remained almost unchanged since its construction in the beginning of the 15th century. The remarkable value of the three-aisle basilica with polygonal chancel lies in its outstanding stone masonry. In the chancel the well preserved mullioned windows with tracery can be admired as well as the typical Gothic windows in the tower. The sculptures ornamenting the portals, tower, windows, buttresses, as well as the capitals, keystones, sedilia and the door of the sacristy date back to around 1427. At the beginning of the 19th century the side aisles were heightened, thus obtaining a cross section of a hall church. At the same time both the main nave and the side aisles were covered with a flat, stuccoed ceiling. The tower’s defence level was demolished and replaced in 1913 by the present one, with zinc sheet covered spire. Today, the ring wall with the gate tower, initially used as entrance, as well as a Gothic chapel integrated in this wall, still stand as part of the fortified ensemble. The chapel inside the fortification has an ossuary, a room in which the bones of the deceased were kept in the past.
The church of Curciu contains many beautiful architectural sculptures from the 15th Century, typical for the Mediaş region The richly decorated western façade shows a bird, a mask and a monster with a human head between the paws.
Place and surroundings
Curciu is a special treasure among the Transylvanian villages. This romantic place is situated in the wine-growing region, northeast of Mediaş, between hills and forests. The place owes its lush green vegetation to the location between the two rivers Târnava Mare and Târnava Mică and has been nicknamed “Mesopotamia”.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Dana Crișan
Tel: +40/269/257 361 or +40/742/077 290
Curciu, Romania
Dacia / Stein
Already in the 13th century, a towerless three-nave Romanesque pillar basilica stood in stone. In the 15th century, this church was surrounded by a six to eight meter high defensive wall in the shape of an irregular quadrilateral. It can be assumed that another defensive wall once stood between this wall and the church. When the church was converted into a fortified church around 1500, the side aisles were removed and the arcade arches of the central nave and the upper aisles were bricked up. In addition, the choir and the nave were given a battlement and a defense floor. A few years later, a barrel vault with lunette caps was built over the nave, on which the date 1517 can be read. In 1845 the inhabitants of Dacia extended the church to the west and removed the battlement and the arches between the buttresses. Once there were towers in the four corners of the curtain wall, but in more recent times it was decided to remove the southwest tower to make room for the construction of a hall and the school. A fifth tower, the bell tower, collapsed during the 1738 earthquake, but was rebuilt in 1763. While digging for the foundations of the bell tower, an inscription stone and the remains of a Roman road were found.
Keys are with:
Mr. Michael Konnerth
phone: +40/740/491 797
DJ105A, Dacia 507111, Romania
Daia / Denndorf
The completion of the first hall church in Daia occurred in 1447 according to its mentioning on the keystone in the chancel. The church had no tower at the time, which was only added in the western part during the fortification works in the beginning of the 16th century. Later it was dismantled until it reached the height of the nave. In the same fortification phase, a defense level was built above the chancel and the church was surrounded by a ring wall, strengthened by two fortified buildings. The western one is nowadays a ruin, but the eastern one still preserves a good image of the typical storage construction equipped with defensive systems.
In the 19th Century the defensive systems of the ensemble were dismantled step by step, but outside the fortification an impressive freestanding neo-classical campanile, considered to be one of the highest in the country was built between 1829 and 1834. The hall of the church was covered with a flat ceiling in 1884, but the chancel still preserves its late Gothic ripped vault. After the ensemble was closed for regular church service, only the galleries and the pews remained inside.
Place and surroundings
Only an unpaved gravel road that runs parallel for several kilometers with the river of Şaeş leads to Daia. The route passes through wide meadows, where shepherds and their typical chalets can be seen. Visible from far away is the bell tower, landmark of the village that was mentioned for the first time end of 13th Century. Historical documents from the 14th Century suggest that also another place called Daia Mică (small Daia) existed in the area. The development of Daia was typical Transylvanian. At the beginning of the 16th Century one counted 72 villagers, a mill and a school. In 1605 the inhabitants found protection in the fortified church from the attacks of the Székelys troops passing by. Later on, at the beginning of the 18th Century, the plague caused more than 200 victims.
Today the remote location of the village, away from main streets and heavy traffic preserves the special charm of the place. Even the village of Saschiz that is located 10km away east from Daia and it was formerly in close contact with it can be reached only by foot, following the anfractuous paths through the meadows.
Activities
The fortified church of Daia and its bell tower were threatened to deteriorate until the Saxon Uwe Hann arrived in 2013 and decided to become active. He founded the Romanian association “Asociatia Sapte Brazi” which together with the older German Association “Bona Fide International e.V.” contractually took over the historic buildings from the Distric Consistory. They have the objective of protection this unique architectural ensemble, to make it accessible again and to use it for cultural purposes.
Until now a few repairs on the roof and the floor of the bell tower were made and the restoration of the tower clock was financed.
The Fortified Churches Foundation would like to support this initiative: we are consulting in questions of monument preservation, help bring interested people to the remote village and are always informing about the current situation. A short expertise has been made and we are positive about moving forward with the situation in Daia.
Fortunately we were able to include the fortified church of Daia in a 2-year restoration project funded by the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP), supporting the preservation of cultural sites and historic monuments. The implementation of the project began in 2017.
Roof Maintenance Program
Responsible: The Coordination Office for Fortified Churches
Costs: 1.200 Euro
Time frame: autumn 2007
Description: Re-roofing the Southern nave of the church, tile additions to all the roof surfaces, including the neighboring bell-tower.
Our partners
Asociatia Sapte Brazi and Bona Fide International e.V.
Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation
Keys are with:
Mr. Uwe Hann
former parish house
phone: +40/722/551746
e-mail: office@bona-fide-ev.de
Daia, Romania
Daia (SB) / Thalheim
In the 13th century, a three-nave Romanesque towerless basilica was built in Daia. The enclosure wall, the round-arched arcades and the walled up west portal have been preserved. Around 1500, the choir received its polygonal end and a groined vault with lunettes. The simple sacrament niche, the side aisles and the buttresses of the choir also date from this period. The Baroque altar is dated 1797, the central picture shows the Crucified with Mary and John. The mechanical organ was built around 1800 by Johannes Hahn junior. The church is surrounded by a simple circular wall with an oval floor plan.
Keys are with:
Mr. Johann Hopprich
phone: +40/269/584 325
DJ106S, Daia, Romania
Daneş / Dunesdorf
The small tower-less late Gothic church in Daneş was built in 1506. The tower was much later erected in 1927, as well as its defence levels, probably as a sign of self-assertion towards the 1918 new Romanian state and as a symbol for the 800 years of Saxon history in Transylvania. From the original defence wall only a few remains on the south side and a gate tower with a small watchtower are still preserved. The inner furniture dates back to different time periods: the baptismal font and the pulpit are Baroque, the altar is from 1878 and the organ from 1920. The vault covering the church’s hall was built in 1868.
Place and surroundings
The village of Daneş, located few miles west from Sighişoara was documented for the first time mid-14th Century. The reports from the following years describe many difficulties and misery. Due to the great poverty of the place, between 1503 and 1507 a tax rebate was documented. Around 1507 the village burned down completely. Less than 50 years later, the unfortunate happening occurred again in 1555. At the beginning of the 17th Century the place got broke as result of civil wars and the number of the local farmers fell in just 15 years from 90 to 7. Because of the slow development of the village, tax exemption and other benefits were offered starting with 1656 to any colonist willing to settle here, but the success was only moderate. In 1658 the Ottoman troops attacked and destroyed the village once more. Only from 1665 colonists coming from Sighişoara were able to revive the place. Despite all the problems, the fortified church wrote its own history, as regular worship services are still regularly held today, as it has always been starting with the 16th Century.
Parish Office Daneș
phone: +40/265/773 804
Martin Türk-König
Daneș 547200, Romania
Durles / Dârlos
Die kleine turmlose Saalkirche aus dem 15. Jh. ist nahezu unverändert erhalten geblieben. Um 1500 wurde der Chor erneuert und die Decke über dem Saal stammt aus einer Umbauphase im 19. Jh. Von der einstigen Ringmauer sind keine Reste erhalten geblieben. Ihre Bedeutung erlangt die Kirche durch Baudetails und die Ausmalung: An dem dreifach gestaffelten Trichterportal in der Westfassade mit dem fein gearbeiteten Kämpfer sind noch Reste der Bemalung zu erkennen. In Stein gehauen finden sich im Chor an den Konsolen der Rippen figürliche Darstellungen. Maßwerke, Sakristeiportal, Sakramentsnische und Sedilien sind ebenso kunstvoll verziert. Im Chor werden zurzeit großflächige Malereien freigelegt, die neben einer Vorhangdekoration noch nicht näher bestimmte biblische Szenen zeigen. Auf den Außenwänden des Chores hat sich mit den Fragmenten von Fresken ein einmaliges Zeugnis erhalten. Die Darstellungen aus der Passion Christi ähneln den Malereien an moldauischen Klöstern aus der ersten Hälfte des 16. Jh.
Ort und Umgebung
Von besonderer Bedeutung ist der Name des Dorfes Durles. Es wird angenommen, dass Durles „Sehnsuchtsland“ bedeutet. Der Ortsname lässt sich aber auch aus dem sächsischen “duer los” ableiten, was mit “lass sie dort leben” übersetzt werden kann. Für beide Varianten gibt es eine gemeinsame geschichtliche Parallele: In der Dorfmonografie wird über den rumänischen Adligen Simion berichtet, der Durles im 14. Jh. mit solch fürsorglicher Hand regiert haben soll, dass viele Leibeigene aus der Umgebung hierher zogen. Demnach verschmelzen im Ortsnamen die zwei Herleitungen “Land, nach dem man sich sehnt” und “lass sie dort leben”.Das Kirchenbauwerk vereint Elemente verschiedener geschichtlicher Epochen: Die Kirche stammt zwar aus dem 15. Jh., sie enthält aber Spolien aus der Zeit des Römischen Reiches (ca. 2. Jh. n. Chr.). Bemerkenswert ist ein Relief an einem Strebepfeifer, das einen Büffelkopf mit Schlangenkörper darstellt. Man vermutet, dass dieser Pfeiler einst als Teil eines unterirdischen Tempels dem Gott Mithras gewidmet war. Der Mithraskult war eine Mysterienreligion nicht christlicher Römer.
Keys are with:
Mr. Alexandru Gabra
phone: +40/756/551 324
Dârlos, nr. 269, in churchyard on the right side, Romania
Dealu Frumos / Schönberg
The Romanesque three-aisles basilica originated from the 13th century and was re-shaped through fortification systems in 1500. On the original tower-less church a strong dungeon with defence level was built on the western side and the square chancel was strengthened with walls in such a manner, that it was possible to build another defensive tower there. At the same time, the side aisles were heightened and the building became a hall church. The central nave and the aisles were covered with fine lierne ribbed vaults. In the course of this work the rectangular precincts wall with four corner towers were also built, possibly as a replacement for an older system. The fortified buildings erected in the 16th and 17th century were used in part as accommodation. The ensemble was completed in 1914 by the construction of the community hall on the southern side. The pre-reformation crucifix above the triumphal arch was created in 1425.
Place and surroundings
Over the wooded hills on the edge of the valley of the river Hârtibaciu one will reach the village Dealu Frumos. The well preserved and typical for Transylvania fortified church with its white walls and red tiled tower roofs can be seen from far away.
The assembly was built in the center of the village to be easily accessible for all inhabitants in case of attacks. If time allowed, the cattle were driven behind the walls too, so it would not fall into the hands of the enemy. Groceries, cereals and bacon were stored within the massive walls. In the first half of the 16th Century the courtyard had to be enlarged due to the increase of the population. 100 years later another part of the wall was moved outwards to make space for more storage rooms. The whole community carried out the dismantling and rebuilding works, while the ongoing maintenance of individual sections was assigned to the various guilds in the village.
Keys are with:
Mr. Martin Maurer
phone: +40/749/519 312
Dealu Frumos, Romania
Dedrad / Deutsch-Zepling
The old church of Dedrad was demolished in 1873, but had already been closed before because of the danger of collapse. Michael Seyfried designed the hall church with bell tower and sacristy, built between 1876 and 1884. Its construction had to be interrupted in the meantime due to lack of money. The master builder was Johann Müller from Reghin. The church is illuminated by four large windows on the north and south walls. Under the windows are galleries, the organ gallery in the west is on two wooden pillars. A pointed triumphal arch separates the choir from the nave. Bishop Georg Daniel Teutsch consecrated the church in 1884. The neo-Gothic altar with rich decoration shows Jesus walking on the sea in the central picture. The organ made by the Wegenstein company in 1928 was destroyed during the Second World War.
Village
It is estimated that a total of 43,000 church bells were confiscated in the German Reich and Austria-Hungary during World War I to meet the enormous demand for non-ferrous metals for shells and ammunition. Like many Saxon parishes, Dedrad lost two of its three bells in this way. In 1923, the municipal council decided to purchase two new bells to restore the triad. The company Schilling & Lattermann from Apolda in Thuringia was commissioned. On July 20, 1924, the people of Dedrad were able to ceremoniously receive their two new bells, one weighing 400 kg, the other 1,600 kg, at the Reghin train station. The ecclesiastical bulletins record: “Dedrad, the largest, the best disciplined and most efficient, but also the most Saxon of the congregations in the Reghin church district, is also the first to hear again the solemnly raising, for years silenced bell triad, also a result of their efficiency. For to raise 200,000 lei in such a short time, in addition to the known other burdens, as in Dedrad, that is an achievement and a good proof of the spirit that prevails there…”
Keys are with:
Mr. Johann Göttfert
phone: +40/743/304 704
House Nr. 205, Dedrad 547086, Romania
Drăuşeni / Draas
The Romanesque basilica with buttresses, western tower and chancel with apse was finished in the mid-13th century, thus replacing the former 12th century church. In the fortification phase of 1494 defence levels were built on the tower, nave and chancel. The chancel’s walls were strengthened and heightened up to the nave’s eaves and the side aisles were demolished. In the same period an 8m high defence wall with 5 bastions was erected and it is still preserved today. The Romanesque western portal is decorated with some of the most valuable stone carvings in Transylvania. From the Romanesque construction time the twin blind-arcades, today functioning as windows, are still preserved as well as the walled up round clerestory windows. Ample restoration works have been carried out for several years now and have revealed frescoes on large areas. The valuable 1638 furniture was initially stored away because of the restoration works, but was later moved to a different church for safety reasons.
Place and surroundings
Centuries ago, inside the stone walls of the fortified church that bear the grey marks of passing time, one of the most important legends of Transylvania was born. This legend tells how the first Transylvanian Saxon settlers vowed eternal loyalty to the king, thrusting their swords into the sacred land and thus forming the sign of the cross. Back then they foretold that, as long as the two swords exists on Earth, their people would defend these territories. Yet, their people’s disappearance from Transylvania was predicted to happen along with the disappearance of the weapons. The swords were then sent to the most distant places of the kingdom, one of them reaching Orăştie, the other one going to Drăuşeni. Kept in the Evangelic church and honored throughout times as a symbol of courage and loyalty of the German people, but also as a testimony of their craftsmanship in creating weapons, the sword in Drăuşeni got finally lost in 1944 in the uproar of the war. Despite their disappearance in the darkness of battles, the two swords remained to this day on the coat of arms of the city of Sibiu: the precious symbol of an inestimable past.
Keys are with:
Frau Ella Kosa
phone: +40/724/456 899
House Nr. 87, DJ132B, Drăușeni 507042, Romania
Dupuș / Tobsdorf
The construction of the small hall church in Dupuș was probably finished in 1524 – at least this date is written on the west wall behind the organ. The church is dedicated to the patron Saint of the village, Saint Tobias. Above the hall and choir rises the battlement floor, covered by a solid hipped roof. A painted cornice can be seen at the base of the battlement floor. Access is via a stair tower with a spiral staircase in the northwest corner of the church. After a fundamental renovation in 1741, further repair work followed in 1904/05 and in 1969 difficult consolidation work on the vault of the church was carried out. Originally, the church was surrounded by an approximately seven-meter high defensive wall, which the parishioners of Dupuș, however, partially removed in 1901 in order to build a new school. The remaining enclosure wall was thoroughly renovated in 1957. The bell tower, which collapsed in 1725, was replaced in 1902 by a smaller tower, which carries three pre-Reformatory bells. The middle bell from 1491 has medallions with depictions of dragons and griffins. The pre-Reformation winged altar is dated 1522. The Baroque side parts are from the early 18th century.
Keys are with:
Mr. Taropa Dan
phone: +40/726/178 955
Dupuș 557022, Romania
Feldioara / Marienburg
The Evangelic church and the ruins of the Teutonic Knights’ fortress, separated only by a ditch, are the pride of Feldioara. The 13th century Romanesque basilica with three aisles and a later added bell tower shows an interesting particularity, a vaulted gallery at the second level of the tower dedicated to the founder of the church. During the 18th century the tower is provided with a roof, constructed after the model of the Black Church in Braşov.
The interior of the church is covered with crossed vaults, which in the chancel are supported by half-column piers. Their capitals are decorated with vegetal, anthropomorphic and biblical motifs. From the pre-reformation altar only few parts were preserved and moved later to the Black Church. From the curtain wall only some remains still exist, while the boulder walls of the nearby Teutonic fortress still stand. The latter’s defence walls were 4m thick and enforced with four towers. The remains of a chapel within the enclosure can still be seen today.
Place and surroundings
The fortifications of Feldioara will always remain in old scripts and paintings in its full majesty, as the Teutonic knights built it 800 years ago. At the beginning of the 13th Century, King Andrew the 2nd of Hungary offered The Land of Bârsa to the Teutonic Knights Order for them to defend the eastern border of the growing empire. The knights received in exchange immunity and the right to autonomy and self-governance. Pope Honorius the 2nd even granted them the right to start a state.
In 1211 one started with the building of a new fortress. This caused concerns to the Hungarian aristocrats, who then imposed in 1225 the permanent banishment of the Order from the region. The administration of the village was taken over by the Cistercien monks, which in the same century started building the fortified church with the help of the villagers. The church has been over centuries the cultural and religious center of the Transylvanian Saxons and stands today not far away from the ruins of the knight’s castle, in the middle of the village.
Keys are with:
Mr. Friedrich Taus
phone: +40/722/506 613
and Mr. Attila Tartler
phone: +40/755/403 740
Strada Octavian Goga, Feldioara 507065, Romania
Felmer / Felmern
Only the choir with its semi-circle apse and the central nave have remained from the original 13th century building located on a slope in the remote hills east of Făgăraș. Around the year 1500 the church was fortified for reasons of defence, the side naves were taken down and a defence floor was erected on the choir and middle nave. The church is surrounded by a ring wall which originally boasted three defence towers of which two still stand. In 1795 the church received a tower on the west side and for this cause the ring wall was moved further westwards. The defence floor was taken down around 1800 and the central nave was vaulted with Bohemian caps that rest on sturdy wall structures. The today completely destroyed school was erected on the south side of the ring wall.
In the interior parts of the classicist features such as the pulpit and the altar without the altarpiece can still be found. The first oeuvre of the organ builder J. Prause is the organ of Felmer from the year 1780 which was brought to the church in Făgăraș and can be visited there.
Projects / Partners
Renascendis Association is a nonprofit nongovernmental organization in Romania, founded in 2012, whose objectives are to protect, preserve, restore, recover, promote, and reuse the cultural heritage (tangible and intangible movable and immovable) in Transylvania, to help underdeveloped rural and urban communities in their economic and social recovery and sustainable development, and to support students and young researchers in their efforts of professional specialization.
Keys are with:
Radu Barla and Alina Patru
phone: +40/268/255 558
e-mail: contact@renascendis.org
Hotel:
former rectory
Information and Booking: Radu Bârla
phone: (0040-721) 320452
or (0040-268) 255558
Felmer 507217, Romania
Filitelnic / Felldorf
In the 13th century a Gothic hall church with a bell tower and pointed windows was built. Over the centuries the building went through various repairs and modifications, among which is worthy to mention the renewal of the bell tower’s roof in 1787 and full restoration of the church, of the surrounding wall, the bastion and the portal between 1580 and 1655.
The last repair took place in 1972, when the church and the bell tower were renovated and the fortification wall, the gate tower and the north tower were consolidated. Major damages to the church were already being reported in 1980 and since 1989 on the Sunday service is held in the parish house.
Every year the church showed more and more degradation. The roof of the chancel and then partially the roof of the nave became a ruin. But in 2010 a descendant of former inhabitants (Georg Fritsch jr.) together with the Arcus Association in Târgu Mureş adopted the church and started to successfully repair it. Since 2012 the church has a new roof.
Place and surroundings
Whenever a Transylvanian priest is asked about the location of Filitelnic, the answer is: in Mesopotamia. This doesn’t imply the land between the two waters of the old Orient, but the land in the centre of Transylvania, between The Târnava Mare River („Big Târnava”) and the Târnava Mică River („Small Târnava”).
The first documentary attestation dates back to the year 1347. In the late Middle Ages numerous conflicts have taken place here, between the peasant and the landowners, concerning land ownership and employment obligations. The developments of the 20th century brought great changes: after in 1944 as most Germans in Northern Transylvania left, most villagers of Filitelnic followed the same path. The Saxon community has never recovered from these emigrations, thus the Evangelical Church was closed in 2000.
However, starting 2010, The Arcus Association of Targu Mures, together with Georg Fritsch jr. of Filitelnic, set up a training center for the preservation of the fortified church. With the help of volunteers, major repairs could be done to the church and the enclosure.
Keys are with:
Mr. Jakob Elek
phone: +40/746/177 490
DC62 98, Filitelnic 547104, Romania
The hall church erected in the 15th century was fortified at the beginning of the 16th century by surrounding the precincts with an oval wall with loopholes, five defence towers and with a later added outer bailey. In the same time two defence levels were built above the chancel, only to be demolished in the 19th century and replaced by a hipped roof. A bell tower with Baroque roof replaced the medieval gate tower in 1862.
Inside the church the organ built by Samuel Maetz in 1825 can be found, as well as the 16th century pews and font. The valuable late Gothic pre-Reformation altar, which was built in the 16th century, was brought to Saint John’s Church in Sibiu.
In the 19th century the fast growing community required more space. Therefore, above the existing 17th century gallery, painted with floral typical regional patterns, another gallery was built. The later was then prolonged in the chancel, where another level was added under it.
Place and surroundings
Bell sounds under the ground, a fire snake on the night sky, a white colt floating over the streets covered by night and on the dark plains, the tramping of an invisible herd… All these and many other things are said to have been seen in Fişer. Especially captivating is the story of the shop under the mountain near the village, of which people say that it opens only once in a hundred years. A long, long time ago, a villager was ploughing his land when, suddenly, the mountain opened right in front of his eyes. In the darkness of the shop, the man found unimaginable riches on the shelves and took with him as much as he could carry. When getting out, he noticed that his ox and plough disappeared. But he didn’t worried, now that he was rich. When he arrived home he was terrified to find strangers having dinner at his table. These people told him that 100 years before, in the same house, there used to live a man who unexplainable disappeared one day. The name of that man was his own name.
Contact:
The keys are with Mrs Ortrun Morgen
Tel.: +40/268/260 136 and
+40/753/922 466
Fișer nr. 75
Fișer 505501, Rumänien
Gherdeal / Gürteln
The church in Gherdeal, a small, secluded village in the valley of the Rohrbach River, is still surrounded by a well preserved defence wall with towers in all four corners. The southern tower was transformed mid 19th century into a gatehouse and served as a home for the castle guardian. The initial medieval church in danger of collapse was completely demolished in 1850 and a new hall church with western tower was built in the contemporary style, as the simple composition of the tower’s facade and the interior furnishing testify. Only the Baroque altar was saved from the old church and placed in the new one. The Baroque organ was built for the church in Cristian, but in 1842 it was brought and assembled here.
Place and surroundings
A visit to this location can be compared to a journey back in time, Gherdeal being known as “the phantom village of Transylvania”. The designation does not necessarily suggest that on the dusty path walks nor inside the deserted houses restless spirits are on the watch, but rather tells that Gherdeal is not merely a village anymore, but the memory of a cheerful, lively place that it used to be once upon a time. The few inhabitants can be easily counted on the fingers of few hands and the silence of the forest is rarely disturbed by a shy motor growl or the sound of a telephone ringing. Nevertheless the fame of the place has reached Germany due to the documentary movie “Gherdeal” that M. Nudow and Th. Beckman shot in 2002-2003, which presents the solitary life of the inhabitants and of the last Saxon family in the village.
The Orthodox and the 16th Century fortified Evangelic church are both signs of trust in a better future, as well as high faith that Gherdeal, the place that people forget, is not a God forsaken place.
Keys are with:
Mr. Johann Ongherth
phone: +40/788/635 771
Gherdeal 557066, Romania
Ghimbav / Weidenbach
On the settlement founded in the 13th century by the Teutonic Order, the 15th century Gothic basilica evolved by altering the preceding Romanesque church. Later on it was fortified and surrounded by a curtain wall with five defence towers, an outer bailey, a moat, and the tower of the church was provided with arrow loops. After battle damages, the church was re-built in its original shape in 1658, but the vaults of the nave were added later in 1775. Remaining details of the Gothic period, besides the plan composition of the ground floor, are the Gothic cross rib vault of the chancel and the domical vault of the apse as well as the trefoil tracery windows. In the reconstruction phase the distinctive roof of the tower in form of a truncated pyramid with an open level for the bells was built.
The interior setting was created during the 18th and 19th century. Unique in Transylvania is the 1902 colourful floral and ornamental painting covering all walls and vaults.
Place and surroundings
Ghimbav is located several miles away from Braşov, in the middle of the so-called “Ţara Bârsei”. Due to its position close to the natural border of the Carpathian arc, the region was threatened by armed hostilities in the 15th and 17th Century. Therefore the church, as many other similar buildings in the region was rebuilt and prepared for defence. Besides fortifying their own church, the inhabitants had to support the construction of the defensive systems of Braşov.
Between 1599 and 1611 the village was burned down twice and it was also plundered twice. In 1612 the fortified church had to be surrendered without a fight. And in 1658 besieged Crimean Tatars the fortification again. After negotiation free passage was offered to the more than 900 villagers that where inside. Thus the promise was not kept and the inhabitants leaving the protective walls were killed or deported to the gates of Braşov. From the ones offered to redeem, 155 were ransomed by the inhabitants of Braşov.
Keys are with:
Mr. Mihaly Francisc,
phone: +40/268/258176,
Accomodation:
Guest rooms in the former parish house
Mrs. Monika Rausch
phone: +40/268/258773
Strada Școlii, Ghimbav 507075, Romania
Guşteriţa / Hammersdorf
The church’s architecture displays numerous characteristics of the Romanesque basilicas in the Sibiu area: a compact central nave, Gothic ribbed cross vaults at the side aisles, arcades with round arches resting on square pillars and arched windows at the clerestory, all dating back to the 13th century, same as the apsidal of the southern side aisle. The chancel was modified during the 15th century, when the pointed windows, the rib vault and a defence level were added. The defence wall was built in the same time and still features a small chapel on the eastern side. The penetrated barrel vault on transverse arches in the central nave was built in the 18th century. The interior preserves the 18th/19th century pew and the paintings, which were restored in 1988.
Place and surroundings
Nowadays a district of Sibiu, Guşteriţa is one of the oldest Transylvanian Saxon settlements in the area and still preserves its original typical rural structure. Its proximity to the city brought it multiple economic benefits indeed, but at the same time transformed it in a target for enemies. The place has been ravaged so many times, that its resistance can only be regarded with admiration. In 1600 it was burned to the ground by the troops of commander Basta, in 1658 it was severely deteriorated by the Turks, in 1661 it was ravaged by the troops of Ali Pasha, devastated by fire in 1690 and 1698, pillaged by the Kurucs in 1701 and even visited by the plague.
Despite all, Guşteriţa developed as one of the most important suppliers of bricks and tiles for the buildings of the neighboring Sibiu. The village has been mentioned in the chronicles already in 1500 for its export of clay. Some centuries later modern factories have been developed, part of which are still functioning today.
Activities
Within the fortified church ensemble the parish Sibiu has established a so-called „green project“ aimed at educating children, school classes, youth and anyone interested. A great team of volunteers and employees are engaged and offer seminars, project workshops and other events connected to the leading topic “green”. The parish garden boasts a very unique ecologically grown garden. Well-kept bicycle and hiking routes starting at the fortification invite curious outdoor-lovers to discover more about the area.
Further information can be obtained at the Parish Sibiu:
Piața Huet nr. 1
550182 SIBIU
jud. Sibiu
phone: +40/269/211203,
hermannstadt@evang.ro
Since September of 2016 the school building also hosts the “Charlotte Dietrich Schule”-school, a private elementary school in German language.
Keys are with:
Office of the Evangelic Church C.A. Sibiu
Piața Huet nr. 1
550182 SIBIU
jud. Sibiu
phone: +40/269/211203,
hermannstadt@evang.ro
Str. Mr. Octavian Niță 36, Sibiu 550270, Romania
Hamba / Hahnbach
Only the masonry of the tower of the hall church in Hamba originates from the Romanesque construction time. Most probably it was repaired after the destruction of the church in 1493 and it was strengthened with a wooden parapet walk. The church itself was not rebuilt, but surrounded by a ring wall. A new construction erected in 1749 survived only until 1830, being replaced by the actual church. The small neo-classical church of harmonious proportions stands empty today, as its inventory comprising the balconies, the pulpit and the pews has been moved to another location.
Place and surroundings
First documented in 1337, this village was about to be erased from the face of Earth because of a devastating Ottoman attack less than 200 years later. Only the tower of the heavy damaged Romanesque basilica could be preserved and repaired and a new nave was built next to it. This nave was also replace in the 17th Century by the construction that is in place today. Unthreatened by the dangers of war or fire and much stronger than the stone walls, the Saxon customs were preserved and passed from one generation to the following one. To those belonged the regular use of the so-called “Lichtert” (“Licht” means light in German) for Christmas. This was an oval wooden candle stand richly decorated with glittering globes and tinsel. When its candles were lit in the darkened church, the community or a choir used to sing Christmas carols.
This custom was kept in Hamba until few years ago, when it got away with the emigrating Saxons. But the village church still stands and its history left valuable traces that must be visited.
Activities/Partners
Since Spring 2015 the association „Melikoleg“ has been developing a bee-keeping school next to the fortified church. They offer different courses from beginners to expert level. The wide variety of courses ranges from elementary knowledge of raising bees and making honey all the way to marketing courses, pest control and the introduction of bee products for medical purposes. Furthermore all types of their own biologically produced honey can be purchased directly from Wilhelm Tartler within the walls of the fortification. Further information and a course schedule can be obtained here: www.miereecologica.ro
The keys are with:
Mr. Wilhelm Tartler
phone: +40/269/543 609
or: +40/749/417 077
Mr. Wilhelm Tartler sells various kinds of biologically made honey from own production.
Internet: www.miereecologica.ro
House Nr. 50, Hamba 557266, Romania
Hălchiu / Heldsdorf
In the 13th century, an early Gothic church was built in Hălchiu and consecrated to St. Andreas. A late Romanesque west portal has been preserved to this day. In the 15th century, a Gothic hall church was built instead. After an earthquake in 1802 it was replaced by a larger hall church, whereby the old foundation walls were reused in places. In 1894/95 the fortification was removed. The inner wall was nine and the outer wall six meters high. A drawing by Andreas Altomonte shows the fortified church in 1727 with an inner curtain wall and two fortification towers and the outer curtain wall with four towers. Three bells from the church tower are made of sound steel and were consecrated in 1923. They replaced three older bells, which the Hungarian military had confiscated in 1916 for war purposes. The fourth bell dates from 1434 and is the oldest bell in the region. The double-wing altar was erected in 1528 and restored in 1975/76 by Gisela Richter from Brașov. The present organ from 1808 is by Johann Theiss in Râșnov, who used parts of the organ destroyed in the earthquake. In 1839 the organ was rebuilt again.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Elfriede Beders
phone: +40/747/842 936
Strada Feldioarei 471, Hălchiu 507080, Romania
Closed
The three-aisles Romanesque basilica, already strengthened by a defence wall, was equipped with a bell tower on the western side in 1290. At the beginning of the 15th century, both the tower and the nave were adapted to the Gothic style and a second ring wall was erected. The first defence wall was heightened up to 12 m and strengthened by seven defensive towers and an outer bailey. A third wall, which did not survive to this today, surrounded the moat that was filled up in 1814. A parapet walk was built on the inside of the first defence wall, which is partially preserved today.
Remarkable are the granaries and the rooms attached to the southern side of the church. The western tower, the tallest in Ţara Bârsei, was provided with a new spire in 1794. The inner furniture mostly dates back from the 18th century. A pre-reformation chapel in the eastern tower is richly decorated with outstanding frescoes depicting the Last Judgement and the Punishment of Sinners among others . The valuable mural painting requires restoration work.
Place and surroundings
How did life in late Middle Ages look like in a besieged fortified church? In Hărman one can get a feeling for it even today, due to the numerous components restored. The fortified church was repeatedly besieged and attacked especially in the 16th and 17th Century, but it was never taken. In January 1612 the villagers even succeeded to defend the castle against a strong 7,000 men army of the Hungarian prince Bathori.
At that time the ensemble comprised three surrounding walls, a moat and many defense towers. The entire third fortification wall included storage space on the inside. Water supplies were provided by wells located within the fortifications. Living units were part of the church, which in case of a siege could provide accommodation for the mayor, the pastor and other key community representatives.Until today very well preserved remains can be visited, e.g. the powerful inner wall, the defense towers, and living as well as storage rooms in the precincts of the fortification.
Contact:
Dan Ioan Ilica-Popescu
phone: +40/729/745 210
Opening times:
in the summer: Monday-Saturday 9-18h, Sunday 10-18h
in the winter: daily from 10-16h
(it is possible that visiting is not allowed during certain events)
Hotel:
Parish House
4 guest rooms with 11 beds
communal kitchen, bathrooms, washing machine, large terrace
Preacher's House
4 guest rooms
bathroom, spacious kitchen-living room, washing machine
orchard with campsite with 8 pitches
5 wet cells, electricity and water, WiFi, washing machine, dishwasher, emptying possibility for chem. Toilets
Information and Booking: Dan Ilica-Popescu
adress: Str. Pieţii 2 – Kirchenburg
phone: (0040-723) 608646
Internet: https://eng.harmaninfo.com/camping
Honigberg 507085, Rumänien
Herina / Mönchsdorf
A visit to Herina with its population of 500 and the Romanesque pillar basilica with three naves should be on every travel intinerary when in the region of Northern Transylvania. The Evangelic Lutheran church has two western towers and a western gallery and was built in the beginning of the 13th century and renovated only a few years ago. It stands solitary on a small hill slope and is a popular photo motive due to its situation and architecture.
The beautiful region of “Năsăud County“ became historically significant thanks to its favorable geographic situation, the great condition of the soil, its lush forests and its abundance in natural mineral deposits and was always a highly desired terrain. Traces of the merchants and guilds who settled here are still visible today. Visitors will find a number of touristic attractions in the area: especially recommended are trips to the numerous National Parks in the region and the participation in the very intensively and frequently celebrated traditional festivals where guests are always welcome.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Brigitte Budacan
phone: +40/766/432 729
Herina 427088, Romania
Hetiur / Marienburg
Inside the small village a hall church was erected in the 15th century, its chancel being closed by a polygonal construction. A tower with defence level and spire was built on the western side of the today standing Gothic church. As suggested by the buttresses, the interior of the church was most probably covered with vaults, which were later on replaced by a flat ceiling. Only ruins are preserved from the defence wall. Inside the church the valuable works of two well known masters from Sighişoara can be admired: an altar built in 1789 by Johannes Folberth, and above it an organ with late Baroque prospectus that Samuel Binder built in 1850.
Place and surroundings
Located near “The Medieval Jewel of Romania”, Sighişoara, the village of Hetiur can be considered itself a historical precious stone. The walls of the fortified church hold, in a protective embrace, the valuable 1789 Baroque-style altar. The roots of the altar, as a place of worship, are much more deeply implanted in the past. Its name derives from the Latin term “alta ara”, which means elevation of the ground (initially, the altar was a pile of ground or stones). It symbolizes the meeting place between man and Divinity, in the majority of cultures being represented as the image of a table where man and his Creator sit together. In Christianity, the altar was a simple wooden table at first, later a stone table, finally being elevated over the martyrs’ graves in the shape of a sarcophagus. Over time, these simple constructions transformed themselves into real art works, the most important types being the following: the canopy altar (a Balanchine supported by columns), the winged altar (made of multiple paintings and panels) and the predella altar (the base of a painting representing scenes related to its main subject).
Keys are with:
Mrs. Maria Theiss
phone: +40/265/711 155
Unfortunately, the church is currently not accessible.
E60, Hetiur 545403, Romania
Homorod / Hamruden
One of the mightiest defence towers in Transylvania features eight levels and is constructed above the initial chancel of the Romanesque basilica built in Homorod during the 13th century. The tower itself was built in 1550 in the church’s fortification phase, when the chancel was detached from the nave and the smaller western tower continuing the side aisle was flanked by two side constructions. Two defence walls protected the assembly: while the outer exterior had no towers, but an outer bailey, four corner towers strengthened the inner wall.
In 1784, under the pressure of a constantly growing community, the church had to be enlarged by building a chancel on the southern side. After the fire in 1792 the church received its valuable late Baroque furniture, the painted flat ceiling, the ornamented galleries and a richly decorated organ altar. The mural painting fragments which are preserved in the chancel present depictions dating back to different eras, varying from 1270 to the late Middle Ages.
Place and surroundings
The village of Homorod is famous for its mineral water springs and spas. In the old days gone by, there was a story of a marvelous spring, which was said to have been touched by magic. Providence had offered that water to the poor people, who could use it, as the story goes, instead of milk, yeast and salt. Nowadays, if this magic water is kneaded with flour, the dough increases its volume three or even four times. Less mysterious, thus very impressive are the valuable frescoes inside the church, considered to be the oldest in Transylvania. The mural painting is to be found on the walls of the former chancel and it was never varnished, due to the fact that this room has been separated from the church during the fortification phase and a new chancel has been built. The frescoes fragments have been created in three different phases, the late Gothic ones being considered the most valuable.
The keys are with:
Family Marton
phone: +40/268/286 609
DJ132 403, Homorod 507105, Rumänien
Hosman / Holzmengen
From the first basilica built in the 13th century the western portal is preserved – a most valuable testimony of the Romanesque architectural sculpture in Transylvania – as well as the pillars and arcades that once used to separate the central nave and the aisles. Looking carefully above the western portal, one may observe an immured sculpture representing two figures. Some argue that it is a depiction of the Baptism of Jesus, while others say it represents Adam and Eve. The observer is thus invited to solve this mystery by himself.
Around the year 1500 the bell tower was heightened and provided with a wooden battlement walk on consoles and the church’s side aisles were demolished. The two defence walls of the assembly, which were built during the 15th century, are connected by the gate tower and still exhibit remains of the former battlement walk and embrasures, vestiges of a rough past.
Place and surroundings
Amidst the picturesque valley of Hârtibaciu river lays the village of Hosman. The fortified church in the center of the settlement is one of the most photographed sunjects in Transylvania. In clear weather the church has as background the spectacular view of the often snow-caped mountains Făgăraşi, which formed once the boundary of the Austrian and respectively Hungarian sphere of influence. As part of the southern Carpathian, the mountains reach heights over 2.500m.
Today Hosman is one of the starting points of the Brukenthal cultural trails, by which one can explore the surroundings in trips up to nine days. On site the Association “Hosman Durabil” (Sustainable Hosman) supports the development of the settlement. Focus of work is the preservation of the cultural and built heritage and improvement of the living conditions. As part of their work, the old mill was refurbished to host cultural events. Here one can take a guided tour and buy bread, which is backed following traditional recipes and methods.
The European Youth Meeting Center Fortified Church in Hosman (CEPIT Hosman) organizes interethnic and ecumenical youth events and it is committed to the preservation of the medieval assembly of the fortified church.
Activities
The fortified church of Hosman underwent a thorough renovation in the end of the 90’s. Since then about 20 years have passed and the important maintenance and care of the building went through different phases.
In the beginning of the 2000’s family Cotaru (Hosman Durabil) took great care of the fortification. They not only made sure it was accessible but also actively repaired things when necessary, for example they restored the tower clock.
As of 2010 different measures were taken by the Association “Jugendburg Holzmengen”, the District Consistory of Sibiu and other initiatives. The Association “Jugendburg Holzmengen” has been caring for the parish house for many years.
Anually they organize the meanwhile legendary "Holzstock Festival" (in the summer) and the "Hosman Christmas Market" in December.
In order to support the parish and both of the active associations on site we have included Hosman into our roof program for monument preservation.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Maria Nicula
Tel: +40/746/131 088
Hotel:
"European Youth Center Hosman"
3 rooms offer 25 beds
office, lounge, dining room, kitchen, bathroom, beautiful barn in the yard
large garden is suitable for camping and campfires
Groups helping with repair work on the personage are always welcome.
Information and Booking: Ruth István
phone: (0040-769) 668634
e-mail: jzholzmengen@gmail.com
Internet: www.holzmengen.ro
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jugendburgh/
DC45, Hosman 557168, Rumänien
Iacobeni / Jakobsdorf bei Agnetheln
In the 14th century, the Gothic hall church dedicated to St. James was built.
At the end of the 15th century, a late Gothic net vault was added to the hall. The extension to a fortified church took place around 1500, when the massive tower with a wooden battlement corridor was added to the west. Above the sacristy, the church has another five-story fortified tower. Above the church there is a cantilevered fortified level resting on 15 arches.
In the 1990s, the church of Iacobeni was temporarily given to another religious community for use. During this time, construction measures were carried out, especially in the interior, which did not comply with the preservation order. From the original inventory, however, among other things an epitaph of the pastor Michael Schullerus (1748) and the paneling of the galleries with paintings from the 18th century are still preserved.
Keys are with:
Mr. Achim Vintea
phone: +40/746/707 799
or +40/741/928 545
Iacobeni 557109, Romania
Ideciu de Jos / Niedereidisch
A fire destroyed the old church of Ideciu de Jos in 1868. Reconstruction began in 1870, but open-air services were still being held until 1874. The congregation sat in a large circle on rafters, which were later to support the tower roof. The newly built hall church does not show any particular stylistic features: The room is divided into three vaulted bays separated by belted arches, the choir has a lunette vault and between the choir and the nave there is a round triumphal arch. The bell tower in the west collapsed in 1875 shortly before its completion because the old foundations could not support the heavy new building. In the tower, which was then completely rebuilt, there are two already very old bells hanging today, one with the inscription “Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum” (from 1597), the other with the inscription “Anno Domini 1664”. During the time of totalitarianism, the Reformed, Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants all used the church – a kind of ecumenism out of necessity.
Keys are with:
Mrs. Gerda Lassel
phone: +40/757/628 710
House Nr. 129, DJ154A, Ideciu de Jos 547360, Romania
Idiciu / Belleschdorf
The small hall church was built in the 15th century on a mountain ridge in the west of the community of Idiciu. In consequence of a storm in 1690, the vault collapsed. Between 1825 and 1827 a larger choir took the place of the medieval one due to alteration works by Conrad, a master builder from Mediaș. Major renovation work was carried out in 1904, including the installation of a new roof truss. In 1927 the old wooden belfry was taken down and a new bell tower was built on the west side. When the old church of Senereuș was demolished in 1870, the villagers of Senereuș sold their organ far below value to the comparatively poor community in Idiciu. It had been built in 1753 in Sibiu and was sold on to the Roman Catholic St. Michael’s Church in Cluj-Napoca in 1991. One of the most valuable things the church once housed was the Renaissance coffered ceiling from 1690. 98 panels contained panels with geometric and plant decoration. In spring 2016, the roof of the church collapsed, leaving a ruin. An altarpiece is located in the chapel of the Drabenderhöhe nursing home in Germany.
The church of Idiciu is a ruin.
Idiciu, Romania